Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

New to this

Old 04-23-19, 10:05 PM
Skgrl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to this

Hey guys! I haven’t owned a bike in probably 10 years but I would like to get back into it. Picking the proper bike seems like a daunting task so I’m asking for advice! I’d like to ride mainly on paved roads, possibly some
gravel and I’d also like to put a toddler seat for my 3 year old on the back of my bike. What budget friendly options do suggest? I was hoping to keep it $400 or less for the bike but I’m finding that’s to very low end budget possibly??
Old 04-24-19, 12:51 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
The first requirement for a bike is one that fits. My first bike about 8 or so years ago was from a consignment shop and cost $65. This was a great bargain because it was in fine condition. Sad to say it was way too big and as I began to do longer rides the poor fit became painfully obvious. So I would recommend doing whatever you can to determine the right size. After size, wider tires than the typical road bike would be better for gravel. Probably a width of 35 mm (say 1 1/2 inches). Then mounting points for the child seat. This is quite a bit of information to track down so don't be in a hurry.
Old 04-24-19, 02:22 PM
ExpatPeru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as you don't mind used, 400 could get you a decent hybrid. A new bike at that pricepoint usually isnt super reliable. Check out the local bike co-op or LBS for old consignments. There is always CL, but you'll want someone who know what they're doing to look at it.
Old 04-24-19, 03:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
$400 is pretty low but ok MSRP for a name brand bike in a bike store, that's for recreational and not daily use. If you try to take a bike like that and ride it ten miles a day every day or 100 miles every weekend it will quickly show limits! On sale, or by mail order you can do a little better. For example this bike is $500 MSRP but last year's model is on sale $350 https://www.raleighusa.com/detour-2-step-thru-r141

For a kid seat you want to find a bike that has rack mounts. Most in this price range will, some more expensive ones do not. A step through frame is really good along with a kid seat so you don't have to do a karate kick to get your foot over the bike. Smaller frame sizes sometimes have trouble routing the upper rack stays around the brake but it can be done, if you need help you can ask at the bike shop.

Topeak and Copilot (Blackburn) both make baby seats that attach to an included standard rack so when you pop the seat off the rack can be used for other things. I used the Copilot and have been recommending it because it worked well for me, the Topeak version works with their other latching rack stuff and that seems cool too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-03-19, 09:18 AM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
The time is coming for lots of people to sell bikes - kids go off to college, addicts upgrade, etc. You can find fantastic bargains. A bike I loved a long time ago was an old Raleigh ten speed, it costs me 10 dollars. I changed tires, tweaked it and had a fun bike for well under 100 dollars.

The proper bike is one you enjoy - forget whatever other people say.