Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Non functional braze-on.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Non functional braze-on.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 05:39 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Non functional braze-on.

I bought an aluminum touring bike and it had a rear rack held in with band clamps around the seat stays. I'm pretty used to this arrangement as I've owned some pretty inexpensive touring bikes in the past. This one has some nice braze ons on those stays so naturally I removed the clamps and unscrewed the screws at those braze ons. One came out no problem. The other moved easily but didn't unscrew. I grabbed it with some grips and pulled while unscrewing. Nothing! I turns but doesn't move.
Any suggestions. There are some nice LBS's around but I'd like to exhaust all possible self help fixes first. Has anybody come across this and if so what did you do? Since it's aluminum the re-brazing option is out. It turns pretty freely and there is the slightest wobble. It feels like there is a nut inside rusted onto the bolt to me. I'm not sure how that would be possible but that's the feel I get. I guess the straps/clamps don't look so bad but I'd really like not having to explain why I'm not using the braze ons on such a nice bike.
Old 05-05-19, 07:15 PM
ExpatPeru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you post a photo of it? Depending on the tube diameter and general bike quality, I might just try to drill it out and replace the whole thing with a rivnut. Has worked fine for me with bottle cage bosses, and can be done with a 5 dollar bag of rivnuts and random nuts and bolts you might have laying around.
Old 05-05-19, 07:19 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by ExpatPeru
Could you post a photo of it? Depending on the tube diameter and general bike quality, I might just try to drill it out and replace the whole thing with a rivnut. Has worked fine for me with bottle cage bosses, and can be done with a 5 dollar bag of rivnuts and random nuts and bolts you might have laying around.
Old 05-05-19, 07:34 PM
ExpatPeru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I see now. I'd hit it with some penetrating oil to see if you can break it loose from the rivnut. If you are able to do that you might be able to throw a couple small washers on it and recrimp the original nut so it doesn't move. If it is too far gone and won't come out or the nut is too damaged, do what I described above. There are some decent videos on YouTube that can walk you through the process. It's actually surprisingly easy once you get the bolt out.

Just got the option to post links,

Last edited by ExpatPeru; 05-05-19 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 07:39 PM
Cycle Tourist

Yeah. I just watched a couple. Now that I know what I'm dealing with I have a chance. Thanks!!😀
Old 05-05-19, 08:32 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by ExpatPeru
Ah, I see now. I'd hit it with some penetrating oil to see if you can break it loose from the rivnut. If you are able to do that you might be able to throw a couple small washers on it and recrimp the original nut so it doesn't move. If it is too far gone and won't come out or the nut is too damaged, do what I described above. There are some decent videos on YouTube that can walk you through the process. It's actually surprisingly easy once you get the bolt out.

Just got the option to post links, Here is the one I used
Your my new hero.

I gave it another shot of WD and cranked the bolt sharply at an angle and it unscrewed. Then with an additional nut I screwed it back in and while holding the bolt with an allen wrench, I tightened down the loose nut toward the frame and with several extra turns secured the rivet end. Then all I had to do was remove the ugly clamps and bolt to my newly secured anchors. My new/old Klein has never been happier.😁😁
Old 05-05-19, 09:11 PM
ExpatPeru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I could help. It took longer to figure out what to even search for than it did to actually fix the damn thing my first time. Have yet to have any of the ones I've tightened down come loose again.
Old 05-06-19, 05:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Now put stainless bolts in there.
Old 05-06-19, 05:51 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Now put stainless bolts in there.
With grease or anti-seize, please.
Old 05-06-19, 09:48 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by mixteup
With grease or anti-seize, please.
Being a rack mount and our beat up pavements here, I use blue loctite.
Old 05-06-19, 10:12 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
While I understand the reasons to use Locktite on rack mounting bolts in this case I wouldn't. The likelihood of this Rivnut again starting to spin within the tube is greater now that it has had a 1st problem. Using a thread locker will only increase this possibility when it comes time to remove the rack. I strongly suggest that all abilities to avoid future corrosion and to promote serviceability is taken, That's a lube/anti seize and not what's basically a glue. Andy
Old 05-10-19, 04:37 PM
Cycle Tourist

Yeah. I used some lube and new stainless bolts. I'd love to add some rivnuts to the forks but I'm very reluctant to put holes in something that doesn't already have em. Somehow the front low riders don't look too bad. My only bad crack up was when my tange forks failed on a nice Cannondale going flat out in front of a city bus. After springing to my feet to rescue my beloved Dale, I passed out on the sidewalk. I think I'll definitely skip putting holes in my forks.😁
Old 05-11-19, 05:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
While I understand the reasons to use Locktite on rack mounting bolts in this case I wouldn't. The likelihood of this Rivnut again starting to spin within the tube is greater now that it has had a 1st problem. Using a thread locker will only increase this possibility when it comes time to remove the rack.y
In thinking about that I realized all my bikes with racks are steel and mounted to braze ons not riv nuts
Old 05-11-19, 06:16 AM
richosti

Bikes: 1974 peugeot noveau folding (restored), 2016 polygon helios a9x, vivente world randonneur patagonia, merida e one twenty 500, new unidentified steel frame??

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This stuff is magic. Finish Line Chill Zone, give it a go.
Old 05-12-19, 11:36 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I ran into that problem too. I got the old bolt out OK.

Summit Racing is nearby so I got a kit. I didnt need any inserts YET, but the tool is perfect for tightening those rivnuts that have come loose.

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/sear...&keyword=1443a

DONT cheap out and get the slightly cheaper kit. I started there and returned it. Its very poorly made.

-SP
Old 05-12-19, 12:41 PM
ExpatPeru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cheaped out and just used the 30mm bolt, oversized nut, and a washer method. Worked just fine.