Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb panniers sale at REI ?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-17-19, 10:44 AM
54OldnWay

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ortlieb Back Roller single pannier Poly coated 119.00 Vs Ortlieb Back Roller pair PVC coated 142.00. Is the poly coated worth the extra cost
Old 05-17-19, 10:53 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
142 = pair (2 bags) of Classic Back Roller

119 = single High Visibility Back Roller

Do you want to pay 100 bucks more for a pair of Back Rollers?
Old 05-17-19, 01:17 PM
54OldnWay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can do the math the question was is PVC coating that much better than the Poly coating
Old 05-17-19, 03:45 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
It's the "high visibility" feature that costs extra. The non-hi-viz, non-PVC back rollers are $146/pair.

https://www.rei.com/product/129192/o...-panniers-pair

Not sure what the functional difference between the classic rollers and the non-PVC rollers are.
Old 05-17-19, 04:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
PVC is not a coating , it is a Use of the same thing truck trailer side curtains use..
a Fabric core within the PVC sheet..

The Plus Fabric is Cordura with a thick coating, heating that coating is what welds the seams together..
Old 05-18-19, 03:18 PM
seeker333
-

Originally Posted by tyrion
It's the "high visibility" feature that costs extra...Not sure what the functional difference between the classic rollers and the non-PVC rollers are.
Exactly - the day (and night reflective) high visibility fabric is the reason for the extra 100 bucks per pair for Back Roller (BR) High Visibility (HV) compared to BR Classic, which was the point I attempted to make earlier.

In the short term (<5 years) the waterproof coating/laminate choice is trivial, unless you happen to have strong opinions about PVC and dioxins. I've been drinking/cooking/bathing with municipal tap water delivered through PVC piping since about 1979, so if there are indeed health risks associated with PVC, then a pair of PVC coated panniers is unlikely to hurt me much more than tap water already has. Long term (>5 years) polyurethane (PU) coatings degrade - I've had PU coated backpacks begin to stink after 5-15 years as the PU degrades, in some cases the PU flakes off or delaminates from the base fabric. I've not had PVC coating degrade in this fashion. Other than the remote health risk and possible long term durability issue WRT waterproof coating, there are no significant differences in PVC coated BR Classic and PU laminated BR Free bags (specs indicate a pair of BR Classic weigh 50g more then a pair of BR Free).

BR HV bags should really be compared to BR Plus bags, because they share the same straps, fasteners, Cordura base fabric and PU waterproof coating. Ortlieb specs indicate same dimensions and weight for these bags. In the case of BR HV, they've taken the BR Plus Cordura and modified it with HV yarn.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
PVC is not a coating , it is a Use of the same thing truck trailer side curtains use.. Fabric core within the PVC sheet..The Plus Fabric is Cordura with a thick coating, heating that coating is what welds the seams together..
Ortlieb describes their Plus bags as "PU laminated Cordura", and their Classic bags as "PVC coated polyester".

I think BR City bags are the best choice for low cost and weight. They cost significantly less from a Euro LBS than from USA seller. Add an ANSI yellow shirt from Walmart and some 3M Scotchlite tape applied to sides of bags and you have all the benefits of BR HV bags for half the price. If you can justify the extra cost, then Ortlieb's High Visibility bags are certainly a good choice.
Old 05-19-19, 07:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Then its 'coated' on both sides, not just, lined with an outer fabric Hand , felt on the outside ...

Although the Black material , used on the edges does have a fabric 'Hand'..

I have both 'classic' PVC rollers & Plus Sport Packers ... The plus does weigh less ..
Old 05-20-19, 08:52 AM
54OldnWay

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank You for the reply's, my next noob question what rear rack do you recommend with the Ortieb panniers on my Surley Disk Trucker 700cc
Old 05-20-19, 01:30 PM
seeker333
-

R: Tubus Cargo or Logo F: Tubus Tara or Duo

Rears come in Classic and Evo version, also in two (26/700) heights.

https://www.tubus.com/en/products/

Surly, not Surley!