Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steel is Real.. Explain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steel is Real.. Explain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 11:41 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Steel is real.............heavy.

Steel is real.............flexy.

I love how so many people tout the properties of different frames (of any material) ...........then ride 23mm Gatorskins on their classic steel bike while they weight like 200 lbs.

Also, none of the hipsters bother to run tubs either. Being that a tub would be more traditional for the bike AND be more comfortable.

Put 23mm Gators on a Ti frame and 28mm Vittoria G+ on a cheapo Chinese carbon frame and I bet the cheapo Chinese carbon "rides nicer".
I take it you're just guessing?

Last edited by Dr.Lou; 05-20-19 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 12:16 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
It rhymes better than “steel is sexy”
I don’t know about road bikes, but in the mountain bike world, “steel is real” has been a saying since at least the late 90s. Maybe longer. I assume it became a thing not long after aluminum bikes frames dominated the market.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
And that date is fairly recent. Aluminum became the dominate frame material in the mid90s. People have been saying “steel is real” since at least then. It may even date from the mid80s when Cannondale and Klein started using aluminum as a new fangled material.
Boutiqe builders vs mass production.
‘Why does this old-fashioned lugged steel bike cost more than this one with big swoopy aluminum tubes?”

“Because steel is real, man” (strokes goatee)

Also, steel is a much more forgiving material to fabricate with. All you need to build a bike is a torch and some brazing rod. A guy can do it in his garage.

Aluminum requires TIG welding and heat treating to be both strong and stiff enough for use, and thin Aluminum is really difficult to weld on. Titanium, too is known to be finicky as well.
Making a frame out of CF is pretty much out of the question for, say a one-man bespoke bike shop.
Old 05-21-19, 12:33 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
In the event of a nuclear war, when everything has been burnt, there will be no aluminium or carbon bikes. But a welded cro-mo steel frame will still be the same, just without it's paint.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 05-21-19, 12:46 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Juggy_Gales
Does a steel bike feel sluggish in comparison..
Frame material doesn't tell you a whole lot about how a bike will feel. Nor is "feel sluggish" even a particularly specific concern: are we talking about weighty or floppy handling, or pedal response, or what?

My 1983 Miyata 710 rides pretty similarly to my Emonda ALR. I've made their fits pretty close, the steering geometry is similar, and neither bike seems to care much about my pedal stroke.
They've also both got vibrant red color schemes, and they both came with midrange drivetrains featuring gearing considered low but not super-low for their respective era. Really, they're pretty much the same bike, made 32 years apart...

My 1979 Fuji America rides nothing at all like the Emonda or 710. Sluggish? No, just very different. Handling is similarly light, if less tight. Flex under pedaling forces is very noticeable, but not necessarily problematic. It's a temperamental bike. Pedal it in a way that it disagrees with and it angrily kicks back, but when it likes the power stroke, it rolls lively with it. It vaults explosively under high torque efforts. It's not my best climber, but punches above its weight on ascents.
Two days ago I took it on my weekly spirited shop ride. We chose a seriously brutal 50-mile loop that included 3 popular short regional climbs (roughly 3 to 11 minutes). The last time I did that full route, I was on the Emonda and rode my guts out on those hills. But this week, I PR'd every one of those ascents.

I do have a steel bike that feels sluggish. Riding my Velo Orange Campeur feels like pedaling a brick wall. Not because it's steel, but because it's a beefy loaded tourer. The legs just don't seem to engage with it very well at a high cadence, and so hard efforts rapidly drain the quads.

Likes For HTupolev:
Old 05-21-19, 04:24 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
"Steel is real" is just one of those catchy but silly sayings. I have had TI, AL and steel bikes. Never had CF but for no particular reason. Currently I have a steel Guru that I absolutely love. It weighs in at about 17 lb. 13 oz. I also have a CAAD 12 (new and 105) that is amazing. A Masi roadie that is AL and a Colnago cross bike that is AL. The only thing that puts me off CF is the price of a quality frame. Equivalent AL and CF quality frame bikes will get you better components with the AL for the same price. Just my opinion.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-21-19, 04:50 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Equivalent AL and CF quality frame bikes will get you better components with the AL for the same price. Just my opinion.
True.

Similarly, I have a nice vintage steel sport/tour frame/fork that I completely updated with modern wheels, 2x10 drivetrain, brakes, shifters, handlebars, etc. - feels like a brand new bike for about $800.
Old 05-21-19, 05:18 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
True.

Similarly, I have a nice vintage steel sport/tour frame/fork that I completely updated with modern wheels, 2x10 drivetrain, brakes, shifters, handlebars, etc. - feels like a brand new bike for about $800.
I bought this Guru Sidero (steel) from a racer friend for $1200 about 3 years ago. It came with Ksyrium Elite clincher wheels and all SRAM mid-range. She had ridden it about 3 times and it just didn't fit right. In any event, over the years I have upgraded it to SRAM Red and Ksyrium Elite USTs. I love this bike.
Old 05-21-19, 05:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Steel is the deal!

Old 05-21-19, 05:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I rode a very fine steel road bike to work this morning. Adjectives that came to mind as I experienced the ride just moments ago?

impeccably behaved
exquisite
refined
responsive
exhilarating

Wait. What were we talking about again?
Old 05-21-19, 06:25 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I rode a very fine steel road bike to work this morning. Adjectives that came to mind as I experienced the ride just moments ago?

impeccably behaved
exquisite
refined
responsive
exhilarating
I'll add

stiff
light

-Tim-
Old 05-21-19, 08:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,097 Times in 5,053 Posts
Last night, on the recommendation of my fish market, I tried Carbon fiber-head trout for the first time. Sorry, but I cannot recommend.
Old 05-21-19, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

impeccably behaved
That’s geometry and is independent of the materials of construction. Few bikes are built to “misbehaved”.

exquisite
That’s in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I don’t find the thin tubes of a steel frame to be all that pleasing. Lugged frames can be pretty but if you understand the use of aluminum, titanium or carbon fiber, a well made frame of those materials can be equally as exquisite.

refined
Again, eye of the beholder.

responsive
Name a bike that isn’t. I have a Cannondale T1 that isn’t completely unresponsive even through it is a bike built for loaded touring. And when used as intended, it’s a far better bike than the steel touring bike it replaced. The old steel bike was too flexible and I couldn’t climb out of the saddle with a 40 to 60 lb touring load. The bike would wander too much as the frame flexed.

exhilarating
Again, any well designed bike is exhilarating.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'll add

stiff
While I agree (and have pointed out many times) that steel as a material is stiff while aluminum and titanium aren’t, it’s the way that the material is used that makes for a stiff bike. But most people don’t buy steel bikes because they are “stiff”. They want a softer, more cushioned bike that come from the way that the way the material is used. Aluminum bikes are stiff because of the size of tube they use. Steel bikes are flexible because of the size of tube that is used.

light
They can be but usually aren’t. As others have pointed out, you have to spend a lot of money to get a light steel frame. You don’t have to spend nearly as much to get a light aluminum frame. Cannondale, for example, introduced the 2.8 series of bikes in 1992. The “2.8” refers to the weight of the frame which was 2.8lb. They point out in their 1992 catalog that an equivalent steel frame of the era would weigh 8lb. Steel bikes have gotten a little lighter (but not much) since then but so has aluminum. Carbon fiber blows both completely out of the water.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-21-19, 08:45 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Bamboo - the material for you:

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-21-19, 08:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Bamboo - the material for you:

Having had bamboo furniture in the past when that used to be a thing, I do not recommend riding that.
Old 05-21-19, 10:10 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Let's keep it civil, please. I know that's a lot to ask in a frame materials thread, but please try.
I agree I don't like when threads go to insults.. I really had nothing against steel.. I just kept seeing steel is real and truly wanted to know
whether it was just a resurgence of a love for steel frames because of this or that or what..
Id personally be fine with a steel frame bike.. I think for touring many miles it may be the best bet..
sure I think Carbon or Aluminum could tour and have toured.. Where I think Steel would do best is lugging weight and if you somehow damage the bike on your expedition.. It would be the easiest to repair if it is something frame related..
This is my humble opinion.. I do mean humble because you guys are much much more experienced than I am. I feel like I am really only just learning now.. When I was a kid I knew basics about bikes and fixing things that went wrong.. But I really didn't know jack diddly squat then.. and I am trying to learn jack.. then diddly.. after that.. I'll try to learn some squat.
Old 05-21-19, 10:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I agree I don't like when threads go to insults.. I really had nothing against steel.. I just kept seeing steel is real and truly wanted to know
whether it was just a resurgence of a love for steel frames because of this or that or what..
Id personally be fine with a steel frame bike.. I think for touring many miles it may be the best bet..
sure I think Carbon or Aluminum could tour and have toured.. Where I think Steel would do best is lugging weight and if you somehow damage the bike on your expedition.. It would be the easiest to repair if it is something frame related..
This is my humble opinion.. I do mean humble because you guys are much much more experienced than I am. I feel like I am really only just learning now.. When I was a kid I knew basics about bikes and fixing things that went wrong.. But I really didn't know jack diddly squat then.. and I am trying to learn jack.. then diddly.. after that.. I'll try to learn some squat.

I don't think anyone thought you weren't being civil. I think the comment was aimed at some of the "idiot" talk that was getting thrown around (not by you).
Old 05-21-19, 10:26 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
While steel frames can be repaired by an expert, I doubt a regular village welder could weld thin bike tubes easily.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-21-19, 11:56 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Uh... we usually refer to those as the village "smitty" in steel frame welding discussions here.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-21-19, 12:15 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Having had bamboo furniture in the past when that used to be a thing, I do not recommend riding that.
That was a special custom build available only at Pier 1 Imports.

Old 05-21-19, 12:17 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reynolds
While steel frames can be repaired by an expert, I doubt a regular village welder could weld thin bike tubes easily.
Yes, the welder would definitely need to be at town or better level.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-21-19, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jlaw
That was a special custom build available only at Pier 1 Imports.

I guess you can actually go high-end with this:

https://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/
Old 05-21-19, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Carbon or Aluminum could tour and have toured..
Put about 10,000 loaded miles on my (aluminum) Cannondale T700 during three long trips in '99-'00. Old gal is now in tatters in my basement. Keep meaning to put her out on the curb for the junk collectors.
Old 05-21-19, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

I know a guy who rides a bamboo road bike regularly and has for years. I know another guy who used to make them from a wild grove of bamboo that grows along a riverbank just outside of Philly.
Old 05-21-19, 12:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I know a guy who rides a bamboo road bike regularly and has for years. I know another guy who used to make them from a wild grove of bamboo that grows along a riverbank just outside of Philly.
I had to rethink that--the crap furniture I was thinking of was rubber wood that we had in my college days. You were lucky if you got a year out of that garbage.

I take it back, I'd try riding a bamboo bike.

I'll bet with a couple of strategically placed holes, you could get it to make a musical sound when you ride fast.
Old 05-21-19, 01:59 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Yes, the welder would definitely need to be at town or better level.
No disrespect intended. Small shops usually have only stick welders and use to weld 3/16" stock and up IME.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.