Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Store bought water bottles

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-26-19, 11:26 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

A while ago (~7 years) I used to buy slim 16 ounce water bottles in the super market that had pull tops that I just recycled when I got home but... I cannot find them anymore.

I like the idea of re-using bottles, but I modified my holders to use the slim supermarket bottles and the convenience of use and recycle is more usable for my lifestyle. I ride twice a day and don't to be washing a sink full of bike bottles. Luckily I saved a few of the pull tops for just this purpose refilling them at the beach. See pic below.

So, the question... Does anyone know a brand of supermarket bottled water that has these tops? Failing that is there a source for just the replacement caps?

Maybe this won't be pushed into the religion and politics section due to interference from rabid save the planet types? Please? :-)

Old 06-26-19, 11:34 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I see them around. Trader joes has some but they're extremely flimsy bottles still they'll work for a while. Then there's propel which has some gunk that provides something in the original fill, but you can refill with whatever you want.

A lot of them now are probably pretty crummy valves. I'd guess someone still sells an aftermarket one though, but it seems like a lot of bottled water is now no longer using soda-bottle threads but rather something lighter weight that consumes less plastic - I tend to prefer seltzer bottles built to stand up to carbonation pressure for re-use in a pack, or have little 500 mL heavier weight fiji one here at work bought as a container not as water. For the most parts the caps are no longer interchangeable, even if they go on its not with confidence of a seal.
Old 06-26-19, 11:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Hardly P&R to point out the obvious issues with "disposable" plastic bottles. For a one time cost of $8 to $10 each you can have cycling bottles with decent valves. You can use them for years. I don't think I've ever seen a rational objection, even on BF. Sometimes the normal stuff just works.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-26-19, 12:03 PM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
#1 PETE bottles start degrading quickly and when exposed to heat will leech antimony. Best to use 1 time and never leave them in the heat or sun.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 06-26-19, 02:52 PM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I do NOT actually re-use the bottles, I chuck those into the recycle bin after one days use. I only re-use the caps, which are sturdy, clean and disinfect easily and fit all of the diminutive bottled water I use. Also I am not riding either of my road bikes, I'm on my MB and its bottle space is limited to small, thin 16 ounce types.

The only time(s) I re-use the bottle is to re-fill during a ride as you would with a cycle bottle, and a cycle bottle is not an option.

I found some similar caps on Amazon purportedly to fit 10 and 16 oz. bottles, but I'm not a member there so I'll see if I can get a friend to order a dozen for me.
Old 06-26-19, 08:06 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've seen Evian branded water with a sport-type top. I'm not sure if this style is sold in supermarkets; I've only really paid attention to bottled water in airports.
Old 06-26-19, 09:48 PM
Jack Ryan

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I hardly ever ride more than 2 or 3 hours at the most so one or two bottles are all I ever take but this is what I use for "water bottles". Just regular store bought bottles in a little cooler thing around them to make them fit the holder. I use a knife to put a "star" cut in the top as shown. Easy to drink from, never anything to open or close and it makes it great for squirting a sporty dog in the face.

Old 06-26-19, 09:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Just get some Camelbak Podium Chill or Ice bottles and you are all set. You are throwing away money buying tap water someone else bottled and then you throw away the bottle. Just buy something reusable and you can get a pull top easily and refill it with the same tap water (or you can filter it should you need to) they use with a lot less cost. I don't wash my Camelbak bottles that often and my water rarely tastes funky unless the water is just bad water. I probably clean mine once a month and sometimes go longer. I might give a quick rinse when I refill but with the nice silicon lining it doesn't pick up flavors and is pretty resistant to mold at least on the inside. My 7 year old Mud Caps have got a little on it that doesn't want to come off but hasn't effected taste (or made me sick) it just looks bad. Even if I did have to wash more often still cheaper and better than paying someone else for tap water and having to throw away their bottle for them.

If you are mountain biking you can get a Camelbak bladder and fill it full of lots of water and have a straw easily accessible so you don't even need to take hands off of bar or stop to drink and you can carry tools and such. You can also get bladders to fit inside of frame bags these days which are quite similar.

Even if not from an environmental standpoint, you are paying someone else to buy their trash that you will have to throw out, filled water from a tap that takes about 10-30 seconds to do on your own. However speaking of saving the planet...we all live on this planet, maybe we could act like it more often.
Likes For veganbikes: