Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Comfortable seat C&V reccomendations

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Comfortable seat C&V reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 11:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Not only ass-specific and not only specific to distances and posture but also relevant to how many miles you have on you recently. The more you ride, the harder you prefer your saddle to be.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-19-19, 02:05 PM
altenwrencher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The leather-covered Cinelli - we called it "buffalo butt" and maybe it actually was buffalo hide. It had more texture than the smooth leather of a Brooks or Ideale or Avocet. AFAIK it was the plain simple Cinelli plastic saddle with a thin firm foam on top, then the hide.
Old 07-19-19, 03:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
my 2 saddles worth

saddles are very personal.....and for me position dependent

Selle italia turbo (way old school) has always worked for me....when i look at other saddles I look to see if the shape is similar

Brooks B17 for upright bike is tottaly comfy have just tightened a bit of a turn after 9 or 10 years

brooks b17 narrow imperial did not work at all for me

Brooks swift works really well for me on a road bike...not too aggressive of a position

Sella Italia Flyte Titanium works for me on a road bike

YSWV (your saddle will vary )

Old 07-19-19, 03:31 PM
altenwrencher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the Selle Italia Turbo design was inspired by the Cinelli"buffalo butt" but a tad softer despite its very similar shape. IIRC the Cinelli came in a plain plastic version, a leather slightly padded version, and the buffalo slightly padded version. All firmer than the Turbo.
Old 07-19-19, 03:36 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It is very subjective, and since I don't know of an ass-o-meter that will predict which saddle you'll like, you have to try several until you find one that suits you.

I've been reading bikeforums for over ten years now. The saddle that gets the most praise is the Brooks B17. I don't know why, but it is also my favorite. Maybe I have a common butt shape. Who can say? But just as important as this fact is the fact that some can't stand the B17. So refer back to my first paragraph. A B17 isn't a bad place to start. If you don't like it, you can sell it for a very small loss, because there are always people who want a lightly used one. And if it works well for you, it's also economical, because while they do cost a lot, they also last longer than most saddles, so they give you more years per dollar.

I happen to like a few other saddles. Some of them have been women's saddles; go figure. I like the Brooks C17, a certain cheapo Viscount (not associated with the bike brand) and also the Specialized Riva.
+1. Get a B17 (or a Professional), and get one that has been lightly used, as in broken in. Cheaper and more comfy. I always keep an eye out for used leather saddles in good shape. Twice the comfort at half the price. What's not to like?

Old 07-19-19, 03:46 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Brooks B17 fits my butt better than any other. Of course, YMMV.