Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 07-28-19, 06:44 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Nothing Fancy

Friday evening I saw a CL listing for a 1992 Miyata Shredder for $10. Picked it up yesterday. No actual issues, just nearly three decades of abject neglect. It was the kind of neglect where the jockey pulleys probably no longer worked because the teeth were caked with grime. Anyway, tore it apart today and started the process of cleaning everything in order to reassemble. It's next life will be as a commuter, mine or someone else's. I'll post the "after" shots upon completion.

Old 07-28-19, 09:17 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Making some progress on refurbishing the too small for me 92 Allez Sport, frame cleaned up and components cleaned and mounted, I am not a fan of Anodized aluminum I did a bunch of cleaning and it still looks dull to me.

before

after cleaning and a dose of Mothers polish

next up tackling the hubs
Old 07-29-19, 12:00 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1553 Post(s)
Liked 2,005 Times in 984 Posts
Just finished fully renovating a friend's early 2000's Specialized Sirrus. I/we kept trying to piecemeal the repairs in his super dimly lit garage during occasional evenings, but I kept forgetting a key tool (and I brought tons of tools each time...). So I told him I'd be more than happy to take it to my place and do all the work there, which I did. Bike turned out great, but I'm happy to have an apartment unit fully devoted to proper road bikes (touring and track included).

Other than that, just working slowly and methodically at getting a few other bikes ready for sale.
Old 07-29-19, 12:35 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Fondriest x-status 1998

Completed main work last weekend. Riding this week! Changing pedals, post ,and saddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BRIGHT FONDRIEST PHOTO.jpg (2.21 MB, 492 views)

Last edited by HPL; 07-29-19 at 02:26 AM.
Old 07-30-19, 05:22 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Turned this...

With some parts swapping, and then fitting for test riding...

And ended up with this, my first mountain bike drop bar build...

Tomorrow, off to the bike shop for two sets of brake pads and, who knows, perhaps a cheap saddle...

Old 07-30-19, 06:56 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts

B4 pic. Fork had a lot of rust.

Ukai 6 speed rims
Finishing up the Favorite Schwinn build. Picked up a 15 dollar continental last fall in rough shape but I’m all about the handle bars on these. A local c&v er offered me a Brooks saddle( thx joe! ) and why not build a bike for it. I went with an off white color for the frame fork. Adams dx crank and went easy set up side pull brakes. Found some hunt wild yellow tape and test fit some soma fenders. Choose the decals because of color. Pretty happy with the outcome. And the Brooks, oolala, so comfortable.
Old 07-31-19, 03:25 AM
1970sRaleighQs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to repaint a 1976(I think) Raleigh Competition 52ish cm. I'm 14 and have never painted metal but it will be a fun time
Old 07-31-19, 08:08 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by 1970sRaleighQs
I'm trying to repaint a 1976(I think) Raleigh Competition 52ish cm. I'm 14 and have never painted metal but it will be a fun time
Never hurts to try. Do show us your results!
Old 07-31-19, 09:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I haven't done much on my bikes in the last week or so. I volunteer at the bike coop on Monday evenings. This week, I was showing someone how to true wheels, and others came up and asked to learn also. We have three truing stands in a row on a table, so three people ended up doing their wheels at a time. A fourth came later on. They all succeeded in truing their wheels without making them worse, so I seem to be good at teaching it. It's very rewarding to me, perhaps even more than fixing bikes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 07-31-19, 03:53 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Some black Sugru will fix that right up.
Old 08-01-19, 10:45 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I haven't done much on my bikes in the last week or so. I volunteer at the bike coop on Monday evenings. This week, I was showing someone how to true wheels, and others came up and asked to learn also. We have three truing stands in a row on a table, so three people ended up doing their wheels at a time. A fourth came later on. They all succeeded in truing their wheels without making them worse, so I seem to be good at teaching it. It's very rewarding to me, perhaps even more than fixing bikes.
Excellent!
Old 08-01-19, 12:20 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Cool. I have dogeared the pages on wheel truing in my Zinn and the Art of Road bike maintenance manual, having a truing stand definitely helps
Old 08-01-19, 12:59 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Next Project: Bianchi Hot-Rod / Retro-Mod

Having finished my `49 Raleigh Clubman commuter build, I looked around the shop for my next project, and my eyes settled on this:

I built my 1980s Sport SX into a comfortable city runabout, but that riding position just feels wrong on this frame. After the success I had with the `49 Raleigh, I wondered what this Bianchi would be like with a similar treatment.

Well, I have all the parts prepared, and I have cold-set the rear triangle to accept the Deore 9-speed drivetrain on the black "H Plus Son" wheelset. So hopefully I will have something to show you by the end of the weekend.

One question, however: I have some weird lines of rust that formed over the paint around the BB shell. I've never seen anything like it before. How do I get rid of this without damaging the paint?

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 08-02-19 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 07:26 PM
malberto13

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Arenberg, 90's Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
my Merckx

Its Official, I finished my Merckx build. here she is!
Likes For malberto13:
Old 08-01-19, 08:22 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
That Merckx looks sick! Blue + Yellow is one hell of a combination. Relly nice bike, congrats.
Old 08-01-19, 10:46 PM
ryansu

Getting Warmer Doc, as bugs would say, the Allez Refurb gets nearer to completion and a new home. Hopefully a good push this weekend will get me to the finish line.

Old 08-02-19, 01:11 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Been packing a bike for shipping for only the fourth time ever and the first time in a long time. What a time suck.

Think I'm gonna go with shipbikes.com and my own box. Their door-door estimate from one north american coast to the other is $87.

Their cardboard boxes seem pretty cool. If I didn't already have one, I might buy one of theirs.

I'm sending my '73 Falcon San Remo to my nephew as a wedding/lifetime present. Yesterday, I went on my last ride on it. Tears...
Old 08-02-19, 01:59 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Originally Posted by DQRider
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="3"]
One question, however: I have some weird lines of rust that formed over the paint around the BB shell. I've never seen anything like it before. How do I get ride of this without damaging the paint?
ALWAYS TRY WATER AND MILD DETERGENT FIRST BEFORE TRYING THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS. SOMETIMES THE STUFF WIPES RIGHT OFF!

I would try regular car wax; which does act as a very minor "abrasive" and might allow you to simply buff the offending stain away with no further work required. Rubbing compound is the next step, but it will definitely take off a little paint; rebuff with finish wax to bring back to a shine if enough paint still exists. On older bikes (without clear coat) I will use a very weak solution of rubbing alcohol to remove various marks/stains, etc. I always test an area unseen to ensure I'm not just turning the paint into solution again. Start with max of 25% alcohol or lower (I use about 10-15% to start); you can always up the strength, but check again to make sure you're not taking off paint during usage. Soft pencil (definitely not ink!) erasers have also been helpful; just polish up with wax after and you can't tell after treating. Many clear coats are readily softened with alcohol if too strong; I avoid this unless as a final option. The clear coat can still be buffed with wax, but I tend to use "NicSand"; 3000, 5000, and 10,000 grit polishing pastes (10,000 is what I use). That stuff polishes anything (glass, paint, plastic), but you must be patient due to the extremely fine grit used to bring out a super shine without other waxes, polishing compounds, etc. I've used "NicSand" on car finishes to get a mirror like shine on paint and/or clear coat; but I put hours into the job to achieve the required result. I do not use paint thinners/solvents other than the alcohol (de-natured alcohol also works; diluted!). Hope this helps; I'm sure there are many other means of cleaning depending on the condition and/or requirements pertaining to a particular job. Just a note: I've had a container of "NicSand" for decades; it hasn't gone bad yet, just add a little water and it's good.
Old 08-02-19, 02:24 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Torquing of Spokes/nipples

I've never used a truing stand before; always doing it on the frame and probably doing it wrong. My "Collective" is going out of business this month and getting rid of their tools/stands/inventory and I'm trying to get a stand in the process; so now I'll just need the professional assistance! Does anyone use "torque wrenches" for spoke nipples? I'm a car guy, engineer, technician; but I find bike adjustment to be lacking in the fine tweaking of bearing end play (as measured on a dial gauge indicator), and the torque specs that I'd find in my auto maintenance manuals for tightening/adjusting. I don't own any bike maintenance manual so I have no reference as to what the actual specs might be for nipple torque; I just adjust bikes to the "feels and/or looks good" range of adjustment. I haven't cracked a rim yet, but I've gotten many wheels bought for the hubs only that had nipples starting to "pull through" the rim, but showing no rim damage other than the cracking at the nipple. Seeing this I'm always afraid I'm going to tighten the spoke too much and destroy a rim (particularly older rims of unknown history). I only now have started to see torque specs for tightening on certain component's hardware that you didn't see 25-30 years ago and earlier (the range of frames I'm generally working on), although I assumed that there always was and is torque ranges of all hardware on a bike (or just about anything else for that matter). To torque or not to torque, that is the question.
Old 08-02-19, 06:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@HPL, there are recommendations for how much tension should be on spokes, and it's not specified by torque at the nipple. See articles on how to use a tensiometer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-02-19, 06:44 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

@HPL, there are recommendations for how much tension should be on spokes, and it's not specified by torque at the nipple. See articles on how to use a tensiometer.
Thanks Tom,

I was just never a fan of the "musical tuning" by the twang sound each spoke made and since I'd never been schooled on lacing/truing I've probably erred on the "loose" side of adjusting. Never had a problem (yet!), but I need to become proficient at the proper methods since I'm now starting to work on other's bikes and I do not want any catastrophic failure to be a result of my inept work. Of course, I can always have wheels done professionally should I not feel confident with that particular operation; even if I'm performing it properly without realizing it. Take care!
Old 08-02-19, 08:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@HPL, tighter is better, until you risk ripping up the rim. Twanging for pitch is approximate, but it's best when mixed with experience. Each wheel has a different ideal tension.

Old 08-04-19, 01:31 PM
ryansu

Getting close to having the 92 Allez done, went for a test ride and the FD cable slipped and I discovered the rear hub is loose, I am going to have to fire that mechanic, wait a minute he's me! sigh. I need to walk away for a bit and come back in a more zen state.

Old 08-04-19, 02:25 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

^ Looks like the rear brake cable routing can more easily go on the nds of the head tube.
Old 08-04-19, 04:20 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Finished this project this morning: 1990 still with pretty good condition Futureshock fork:

DSC_2020 by 2cam16, on Flickr

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.