Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What's the "best" bike law in your state or town?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 05:21 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
The "Idaho Stop" law was the clinching factor in my decision to move to Idaho upon retirement.
The Idaho Stop law is a great thing and should be the law everywhere. But I follow the practice without that official sanction and the local constabulary seem fine with it.

Congratulations on retirement. I look forward to it in a few years.
Old 06-18-19, 10:49 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I have no idea, but it's fun watching a few of you cite regulations, chapter and verse.
Old 06-21-19, 01:43 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
28-812. Applicability of traffic laws to bicycle riders

A. A person riding a bicycle on a roadway or on a shoulder adjoining a roadway is granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter and chapters 4 and 5 of this title, except special rules in this article and except provisions of this chapter and chapters 4 and 5 of this title that by their nature can have no application.
Old 06-22-19, 08:15 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The best and most worthless, is the 3' passing rule. Best for obvious reasons. Worthless because it is positively 110% not enforced or followed.
Old 07-01-19, 11:22 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jmeb
We can ride on the pavement. Almost everywhere.

I seem to be a bit of an oddball on this site, but you guys have no idea. Everything from your lights, clothes, equipment, bikes, attitude... the topics here reflect how the entire cycling experience, and your approach/execution, is based around the flaws and dangers of having to use roads. And it's horrific.

So much of the world has so far to go. Ironically, it seems the western world is the worst.

All you'll hear about Milton Keynes is that we have too many roundabouts and our cows are made of concrete (ironically it means few traffic lights, and we have real livestock animals in parkland everywhere). It seems our world-leading, quite halcyonical, cycleway system is our best-kept secret. Despite reaching every nook and cranny of the City. And that's great for us..
Old 07-02-19, 06:19 AM
jmeb

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
We can ride on the pavement. Almost everywhere.

I seem to be a bit of an oddball on this site, but you guys have no idea. Everything from your lights, clothes, equipment, bikes, attitude... the topics here reflect how the entire cycling experience, and your approach/execution, is based around the flaws and dangers of having to use roads. And it's horrific.

So much of the world has so far to go. Ironically, it seems the western world is the worst.

All you'll hear about Milton Keynes is that we have too many roundabouts and our cows are made of concrete (ironically it means few traffic lights, and we have real livestock animals in parkland everywhere). It seems our world-leading, quite halcyonical, cycleway system is our best-kept secret. Despite reaching every nook and cranny of the City. And that's great for us..
For others who aren't aware -- in the UK, "pavement" == "sidewalk" in the US.

However, in the case of Milton Keyes, their cycle networks are more like a densely built multi-use path.

I don't think you'll find many people in the US cycling culture which dominates this site that wouldn't love such a system. But our desire to be on roads stems from the fact it the lesser of two evils, and there is no political will to build cycle infrastructure like Milton Keyes which is quite a distinctive building project built as a greenfield development. It isn't feasible to retrofit such infrastructure into most cities without a massive reduction in space dedicated to automobiles -- and then again -- a political will problem.

So short of that, you'll find most US advocates at least working towards ensure safety on the street which requires changes to norms, social attitudes, laws while we work on getting dedicated lanes built. Until then, we need to ensure safety on roads because they are the only viable option. Sidewalks aka pavement here doesn't exist in many areas, where it does it is often just 2-3ft wide, or extremely busy, and therefore more dangerous to ride on than the road.
Old 07-02-19, 09:48 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jmeb
For others who aren't aware -- in the UK, "pavement" == "sidewalk" in the US.

However, in the case of Milton Keyes, their cycle networks are more like a densely built multi-use path.

I don't think you'll find many people in the US cycling culture which dominates this site that wouldn't love such a system. But our desire to be on roads stems from the fact it the lesser of two evils, and there is no political will to build cycle infrastructure like Milton Keyes which is quite a distinctive building project built as a greenfield development. It isn't feasible to retrofit such infrastructure into most cities without a massive reduction in space dedicated to automobiles -- and then again -- a political will problem.

So short of that, you'll find most US advocates at least working towards ensure safety on the street which requires changes to norms, social attitudes, laws while we work on getting dedicated lanes built. Until then, we need to ensure safety on roads because they are the only viable option. Sidewalks aka pavement here doesn't exist in many areas, where it does it is often just 2-3ft wide, or extremely busy, and therefore more dangerous to ride on than the road.
There are streets with dedicated bike lane as well as some functional paths. However, my biggest grip is that the bike lanes are relocated to the far edges of the road. Exactly where all the road debris collects and decay of asphalt begins. With all the glass and nails and rocks there, its the worst possible surface, as we cyclist all know. Although it wouldn't be so bad if they cleaned the gutters every now and then.

In fact, I know of one bike lane that was paved over 30 years ago and hasn't been touched since. The saplings that were planed along its edges back then are now fully grown trees with roots buckling the path. Not the ride most of us would enjoy. Its great for mountain bikers though.