Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Niner Bankruptcy (Choosing a Gravel Bike)

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-13-18, 07:12 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Hello,

So I asked a question here a few days ago about choosing a bike. Thanks to the many suggestions from people on this site I narrowed it down to a gravel bike and was leaning toward a Niner. I've since learned that they filed for bankruptcy, which is probably old news to most people here.

Anyway, would it make sense to buy the bike even though their fiture may be up in the air?

Last edited by m2244; 12-13-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 07:34 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
If it's the bike you want I can't see why not .... granted if the frame was faulty you'd have a problem getting a replacement under warranty but most of the other parts are non specific to them i.e. Shimano / Sram ... if you're buying it from a store I'd ask them about the warranty and see what they say.

Never know you might be able to pick one up cheaply and may get a bargain.

Shame to see a company like that going to the wall though!!
Old 12-13-18, 07:39 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I hate to hear that as well. I strongly considered a Niner at one point.
Old 12-13-18, 08:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by m2244
...would it make since to buy the bike even though their fiture may be up in the air?
Niner is still in business.
In fact they recently announced they are increasing their global marketing.

According to Wikipedia: In November 2017, Niner Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection ahead of a planned acquisition by an investor group. Several months later, in March 2018, Niner announced they had been acquired by UWHK Ltd., a Hong Kong-based investment firm known for owning Huffy Corp.

I'm not connected to the company, other than sharing a home state, but the OP's question made it seem like they had ceased operation, and that is not the case...although they may be somewhat different since their sale to UWHK.
Old 12-13-18, 08:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Meh, short of a frame issue there isn't really much I'd count on a warranty for fixing anyhow. Buy it if you want it.
Old 12-13-18, 09:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Niner's future is not "up in the air."

They have new ownership, that's all.

-Tim-
Old 12-13-18, 09:49 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The brains behind the Niner company is what (who) you want to follow. Companies may go away, get acquired, etc. But its the people who may eventually restart in a more leaner way.
Old 12-13-18, 11:05 AM
ogmtb
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by m2244
Anyway, would it make since to buy the bike even though their fiture may be up in the air?
So many folks cant grasp that bankruptcy does not always equal out of business, a shaky future, etc. It really speaks to the poor job we do as a society in educating our citizens about basic financial principles.

If if you decide on a Niner, you’ll be fine.
Old 12-13-18, 11:30 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb

So many folks cant grasp that bankruptcy does not always equal out of business, a shaky future, etc. It really speaks to the poor job we do as a society in educating our citizens about basic financial principles.

No, it doesn't always mean they are going out of business, sometimes they do, sometimes they come out the other end in worse shape. This is the reason I was asking the question, to get a feel for what's going on since I know very little about the bike industry. Now to say that people "can't grasp" a concept lends an air of arrogance, which is something humans often do to make themselves feel good.

Last edited by m2244; 12-13-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 11:33 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts

I completely agree and that's why approximately 70% of the people who win big lotteries in the US are broke in about 5 years time. They have no concept of how to handle money.
Old 12-13-18, 11:33 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

To be fair, I worked in bankruptcy law for years and there's still a lot about it that I don't get.

But yeah, corporate bankruptcies are a special breed. In this case it was simply a means to an end to facilitating a sale of a company. It happens all the time. As others have said, Niner is fine.
Old 12-13-18, 11:42 AM
jefnvk

So many folks cant grasp that bankruptcy does not always equal out of business, a shaky future, etc. It really speaks to the poor job we do as a society in educating our citizens about basic financial principles

Sure, but on the other hand if I am making a significant financial decision, the fact that a company is in bankruptcy and going out of business being a very common outcome of bankruptcy will play into my decision. I just personally don't see much risk when it is a bike. I probably wouldn't have bought a GM in 2009 when there were far more financially secure choices. I'm definitely not stocking up on Nashbar gift cards.
Old 12-13-18, 11:46 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts

Heck, our president used it routinely in his business practices, must be OK, eh?
Old 12-13-18, 12:31 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
the fact that a company is in bankruptcy and going out of business being a very common outcome of bankruptcy
You just proved my point.
Old 12-13-18, 01:04 PM
jefnvk

You just proved my point.
Are you actually going to argue that bankruptcy does not often lead to the company no longer existing?

Sure, there are many other outcomes to bankruptcy, but pretending that the company closing isn't a very real outcome of the situation would indicate you are as misguided as those you are putting down. Or, to put it another way, how many shares of Sears are you willing to buy right now? Yes, if I am making a significant financial decision, the financial health of the company is indeed a consideration. It may be overweighed by other considerations, but it would be silly to simply dismiss.

And because I like stats backing up my argument, Forbes statement on Chapter 11
Originally Posted by https://www.forbes.com/2008/09/25/chapter-11-bankruptcy-ent-law-cx_rb_0925bovarnickchap11.html
Second, understand that about 25% of companies that file for Chapter 11 will survive--not exactly a great batting average, even in baseball.

Last edited by jefnvk; 12-13-18 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 01:23 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Are you actually going to argue that bankruptcy does not often lead to the company no longer existing?
As the Forbes article shows, it's more common for businesses filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to not go out of business.

Anyone who actually reads the Niner filing should understand that it was a pretty standard reorganization, not a Chapter 7 filing or a Chapter 11 filing that was likely to be converted to 7, i.e. going out of business.
Old 12-13-18, 01:50 PM
jefnvk

As the Forbes article shows, it's more common for businesses filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to not go out of business.

Anyone who actually reads the Niner filing should understand that it was a pretty standard reorganization, not a Chapter 7 filing or a Chapter 11 filing that was likely to be converted to 7, i.e. going out of business.
I don't know what you are comparing it to, but I'd call a 25% success rate pretty dismal (and this was the most generous source I could find, other sites estimated the number closer to 10-15%).

And even if I want to assume that a company will survive just fine, that they are just going into bankruptcy to make themselves more financially appealing for a takeover, then considering the fact they are being taken over would still fall under due diligence for consideration on a sizeable financial decision, and how the new owners are going to run the business and provide support in the aftermath. The fact is that companies can't and don't end up in bankruptcy court without some sort of serious financial issues, if I am entering into a purchase that requires their continued support, their financial situation is a very real consideration on my purchase decision. To suggest one shouldn't take it into consideration either tells me it isn't a serious financial decision or you aren't the wisest about your money.
Old 12-13-18, 02:10 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't know what you are comparing it to, but I'd call a 25% success rate pretty dismal (and this was the most generous source I could find, other sites estimated the number closer to 10-15%).
This is a deeper dive, with actual data:

https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi...49&context=mlr
Old 12-13-18, 02:16 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I don't have access to PACER any more but from what I can tell the Niner bankruptcy case was closed in August. That means the company is no longer in bankruptcy.

Whether or not the company survives in the long term is another question. But as of today the company survived bankruptcy because it still exists and the bankruptcy is done.
Old 12-13-18, 02:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Not all bankruptcy is the same.

I'm open to correction here.

Chapter 7 is when you walk away and your assets are auctioned to pay the creditors. This is not what Niner did.

Chapter 11 is for restructuring debt so that it can be paid off over time. This is often used as a tool to facilitate very rapid transfer of assets to a buyer or investor, much faster than a normal sale. The purchase or investment is part of the the debt restructuring plan. The plan is submitted to the judge, the judge approves it and done. Rapid transfer of assets sometimes makes a company very attractive to a buyer who can take ownership very quickly. This is exactly what Niner and their new owners did.

Creditors get paid. Employees keep jobs. Niner keeps making bikes. Customers keep shredding gnar. New owners (hopefully) guide the company into profitability and make a few bucks moving forward.

The downside to Chapter 11 is risk. An unwanted buyer can sometimes step in, snatch the company, part it out, sell off the assets or turn it into a completely different company. Niner and the new owners probably had it all planned out ahead of time.

Anyway, they are building a European distribution center so my guess is that they don't plan on closing any time soon.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-13-18 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-13-18, 03:48 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Niner is still in business.
In fact they recently announced they are increasing their global marketing.

According to Wikipedia: In November 2017, Niner Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection ahead of a planned acquisition by an investor group. Several months later, in March 2018, Niner announced they had been acquired by UWHK Ltd., a Hong Kong-based investment firm known for owning Huffy Corp.

I'm not connected to the company, other than sharing a home state, but the OP's question made it seem like they had ceased operation, and that is not the case...although they may be somewhat different since their sale to UWHK.
This is how you sell your company and not have to pay your suppliers. New company purchases out of bankruptcy for peanuts and only buys assets. Purchase price doesn't begin to cover debt so some major creditors (usually banks) get some money and everyone else is SOL.
Old 12-13-18, 06:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Lots of ignorance on this thread about bankruptcy, chapter 11 and Niner's particular outcome.

-Tim-
Old 12-13-18, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
So maybe steering it back from boring old economics to bikes which are way better ; )

Have you ridden the Niner? Did you like it? Have you ridden anything else and did you like that? Is there anything in particular you are looking for to slay the grav grav?
If you did really like the Niner after riding it and it ticks all the boxes for you, then go for it. If it isn't maybe ticking all the boxes or you didn't wholly like the ride maybe try something else.
I bought a Foundry Chilkoot and that company is out of business but I really liked the bike and it ticked some major boxes mostly a Ti road bike with carbon fork and Di2 compatibility so I went with it and couldn't be happier (ok I could but that would have cost me many thousands of dollars but with the amount spent I am quite happy)
Old 12-13-18, 09:45 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Filing for any type of bankruptcy is not a good thing for a niche bicycle brand.
I personally would still consider Niner
if I was in the market for a steel road bike but some of the replies in this thread are ridiculous.
Healthy and thriving niche companies do not file bankruptcy as part of a sale/re-structuring.
Quite often though, borderline struggling companies do.
Old 12-13-18, 10:06 PM
jefnvk

This is a deeper dive, with actual data:

https://repository.law.umich.edu/cgi...49&context=mlr
They also show that confirmation rates jumped to two-thirds or more among larger debtors, debtors that were able to survive the first nine months in bankruptcy, and debtors who at least proposed a plan to reorganize
And even if I bump that up to a 75% success rate, a one in four chance of closing is still a very real possibility, even when the cases have been weeded down to a favorable sample. Of course, everyone has the innate knowledge and the desire to dig through court documents when a case is first filed to know if all the qualifiers that were put on the "successes" in that document apply to the company in question.

My sole point in all of this was it is silly to say that the status of a company in bankruptcy should be ignored when making a decision to buy a product. It remains that. Feel free to think of me as uneducated because I wouldn't just ignore that when making my own purchasing decisions if it makes you feel better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.