Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1970's Raleigh Competition

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 09:22 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
+1

The 531 frames on these take them to another level. If you're used to mid-range bikes, I think you'll notice a definite difference in stiffness and lightness. These have some pretty racy geometry too. And they'll take wide tires as well, 35's with a 700c wheel, and probably still room for fenders. I'd grab that thing myself if it was local (even though i already have a '76 Competition) they don't come around that often, and they're really something special. Especially at that price.
...I've had a few here over the years, have two of them now, and would echo the thoughts about plenty of space for tyres and fenders. It's essentially a Carlton frame (maybe this is where the guy got the "carbon" idea), with a full sloping fork crown in the Italian style, from a time when such frames were relatively high quality products. Those of us who were too poor for a Raleigh Pro often ended up on the Competition.

And those derailleurs do , indeed, seem to be pretty pricey on the used parts market right now.

There have been many fatter tyre, fender, and 650B conversion projects that started out with a Raleigh Comp. Which is probably why they are seen for sale less commonly now.
Old 04-05-19, 10:15 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Really, these will work with suntour derailleurs? I thought these drop outs only worked with Huret RDs. I have one of these which has some issues and I thought one of the issues would be those Huret rear drop outs.
Freres Huret offers adaptor washers to travel in both directions -

Old 04-05-19, 10:19 PM
juvela

------

Phamilton -

no worries as to expenditures.

item now gone.

------
Old 04-07-19, 11:34 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Those look like washers designed to convert Campagnolo and Simplex derailleur hangers to Huret though, not vice versa, right?

I was looking at a Raleigh Competition a while back, so I did some research on whether anyone made a washer to convert Huret hangers to Campy-style derailleurs. I found nothing.

Originally Posted by juvela
Freres Huret offers adaptor washers to travel in both directions -

Old 04-07-19, 11:39 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
------

Phamilton -

no worries as to expenditures.

item now gone.

------
Would have punched well-above its asking price.
Old 04-07-19, 04:22 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by samkl
Those look like washers designed to convert Campagnolo and Simplex derailleur hangers to Huret though, not vice versa, right?

I was looking at a Raleigh Competition a while back, so I did some research on whether anyone made a washer to convert Huret hangers to Campy-style derailleurs. I found nothing.

-----

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ed-washer.html

-----
Old 04-07-19, 04:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Seller is advertising it as a carbon frame, maybe ignorance will be in my favor!
It's an old frame but it is steel, an alloy of carbon and iron so he's not all wrong.

I have that same frame. Same size, same color. 531 with the chainstays Reynolds made exclusively for Raleigh with a short tapered portion to neck down the diameter from typical chainstay to a typical seatstay diameter to a softer ride on harsh surfaces. (Those frames are plush!)

I don't know what was original wheel-wise but you can easily run either 700c or 27" with fenders. Lots of room. (Edit: And as pointed out above, the brakes will work with just about any rim. If you want more braking power, use Mafac Racers.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-08-19 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 08:04 AM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same year and model. The TA three-pin crankset is original. Original 531 decals stated butted tubes forks and stays. This is a really sweet ride. A couple years later Raleigh dropped the mention of butted forks and stays, and the frame rode much more harshly.

Originally came with tubulars. I converted mine to 27" early on as I found the tubulars a complete PITA, and 700c was quite uncommon at the time, having just come to the US market. No problems with brake adjustment. Note the brake levers were drilled-out with ovals on the front to 'lighten'. I also put a Suntour Ultra-6 on the back having replaced the original Normandy with a custom Regina before converting to the 6 for touring. At the same time put on a TA Cyclotourist. The Jubilee shifts just fine over the 46-43-26 chainset, just use a light hand and don't power through on the pedalling.

Rear mech-wise, took off the rear Jubilee to first replace with a SonTour Cyclone the wider range for touring. Then tried a Campy Rally (which I never got to work (Huret rear drop-outs? although not a problem with the SunTour). Finally ended up with a Hueret Duopar Eco, which is still on the bike. Oh, and I still have the complete Jubilee set -- a work of art. (Not for sale).
Cheers!