Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worth upgrading my Synapse to a newer one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 03:35 PM
Solidjake

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. I purchased my '14 Synapse Carbon 105 just over five years ago (with a 60% off retail discount) and it has served me well, but lately I've been thinking about getting a '19 Synapse Carbon Ultegra with Di2. The retail on that is $4,400 but I would also get that discount so around $1900 after taxes. On my '14 I upgraded the wheels (but the front was damaged in an accident) and also the seatpost to the carbon SAVE one. I'm really intrigued by the Di2 and now it's affordable and a few revisions down the road so it's a lot better than the first gen from what I read online.

I would sell an older Scott Speedster for pretty much what I paid for it ($200) and replace the Scott with the older Synapse.

Has anyone upgraded their Synapse for a newer one? Worth it? Di2 over the 105 worth it? Thanks
Old 06-03-19, 03:46 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
A new bike better than the old one is always nice.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 06-03-19, 04:39 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Don't ignore a CAAD 12.
Old 06-03-19, 05:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
$1900 for a legit brand current Di2, hard to go wrong.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-03-19, 08:18 PM
Solidjake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Don't ignore a CAAD 12.
The CAAD is nice but I don't see the Di2

Thanks guys. I'll probably pull the trigger. Just need to see if my contact has the discount left for the year. Can't wait.
Old 06-04-19, 06:27 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
[QUOTE=Solidjake;20960807]The CAAD is nice but I don't see the Di2 /QUOTE]

The CAAD 12 is "Di2 ready" so you could put one together. But, you would have to want to do that and find it cost effective.

Just in case...

Last edited by bruce19; 06-04-19 at 06:33 AM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-04-19, 06:43 AM
cycledogg

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Gee, Wally, I don't see the problem.
Old 06-04-19, 07:12 AM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I would skip Di2 but that's just me.

If you can get that kinda discount I would pull the trigger on an ultegra bike w/power and skip Di2.
Likes For OUGrad05:
Old 06-04-19, 08:17 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
CAAD12 is a race bike the Synapse is a endurance bike. I would think the fit, geometry and ride would be pretty different.
Likes For voyager1:
Old 06-04-19, 09:15 AM
Solidjake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OUGrad05
I would skip Di2 but that's just me.

If you can get that kinda discount I would pull the trigger on an ultegra bike w/power and skip Di2.
How come you don't recommend the Di2?
Old 06-04-19, 10:16 AM
OUGrad05

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Solidjake
How come you don't recommend the Di2?
I know two people who had batteries die in rides, yes technically their fault, just a battery deal, but a major headache. My 105kit is pretty nice and regular Ultegra also quite nice and it just works. Di2 is good, but a bit of added risk/maintenance there.

If I forget to charge my pedals I can still ride no problem, if I can't change gear? That sucks.
Likes For OUGrad05:
Old 06-04-19, 10:20 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Where are you buying the bike at 60% off?
Old 06-04-19, 02:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
I know two people who had batteries die in rides, yes technically their fault, just a battery deal, but a major headache. My 105kit is pretty nice and regular Ultegra also quite nice and it just works. Di2 is good, but a bit of added risk/maintenance there.

If I forget to charge my pedals I can still ride no problem, if I can't change gear? That sucks.
Just to clarify, when the battery goes, the front defaults to the small ring and you can still shift the rear for awhile. Someone's battery dies on our group rides every couple of months, they just laugh at their negligence and spin on in. For the money, I would rather have mechanical DA than Di2 Ultegra, but that's just me. Everyone I know who has gone to Di2 is very happy with it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-04-19, 03:27 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Bought my Ultegra Di2 Synapse last summer to replace my beloved ‘92 Merckx Century. I have ridden Campy bikes since ‘75 and had been a loyal Campy customer, but finding a built Campg bike is difficult abd expensive. When looking at bikes the cost of components on a built bike made them far more attractive. I settled on the Synapse after trying a Bianchi Infinito and. Trek Domane. The cost of Di2 still made the bike a great deal compared to building up a bike. I have no regrets at all about Di2. I love it. It works flawlessly. If you have a Wahoo head unit you will know far in advance if your battery is dying. It is almost literally impossible to have it die on you given the amount of battery life left after the warning. Failure to heed warning is a user problem. The other thing I love about using it with the Bolt is the visual gear indicator. As with many bikes the wheelsets that come with them are usually not great, but are one of the easier items to upgrade.
I would have no hesitation at all buying the Di2 Synapse.
Likes For waters60:
Old 06-04-19, 03:59 PM
Solidjake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Just to clarify, when the battery goes, the front defaults to the small ring and you can still shift the rear for awhile. Someone's battery dies on our group rides every couple of months, they just laugh at their negligence and spin on in. For the money, I would rather have mechanical DA than Di2 Ultegra, but that's just me. Everyone I know who has gone to Di2 is very happy with it.
Got it and it's a pricey item to have as a spare and lug around. One thing I am on top of are my battery levels on everything electronic.

Originally Posted by trailangel
Where are you buying the bike at 60% off?
Friend works at a retailer and is able to get 60% off once a year.

Originally Posted by waters60
Bought my Ultegra Di2 Synapse last summer to replace my beloved ‘92 Merckx Century. I have ridden Campy bikes since ‘75 and had been a loyal Campy customer, but finding a built Campg bike is difficult abd expensive. When looking at bikes the cost of components on a built bike made them far more attractive. I settled on the Synapse after trying a Bianchi Infinito and. Trek Domane. The cost of Di2 still made the bike a great deal compared to building up a bike. I have no regrets at all about Di2. I love it. It works flawlessly. If you have a Wahoo head unit you will know far in advance if your battery is dying. It is almost literally impossible to have it die on you given the amount of battery life left after the warning. Failure to heed warning is a user problem. The other thing I love about using it with the Bolt is the visual gear indicator. As with many bikes the wheelsets that come with them are usually not great, but are one of the easier items to upgrade.
I would have no hesitation at all buying the Di2 Synapse.
Greatly greatly appreciate the response! I would buy the Shimano wireless unit to pair with my Edge 520. Saw a video of it in action on youtube and it's awesome, love the integration. Thanks again and glad to hear that you enjoy it.
Old 06-04-19, 04:21 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
At 60% off, why not? At that price, you can recoup your investment if you decide you don't like it or want something else. Some people would be getting a new bike every year if they had that deal. Maybe a couple.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-05-19, 06:24 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Nothing wrong with a '14 synapse but for that kind of discount, why are you standing around here asking us?

I see a lot of commentary about DI2... the people that don't have it, me included, don't get the fuss and the people who do have it wouldn't trade it in despite the occasional battery issues (and they all eventually have a battery issue). Meh, shifting is easy if you have normal finger function, doesn't bother me in the least.
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 06-06-19, 10:57 AM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Nothing wrong with a '14 synapse but for that kind of discount, why are you standing around here asking us?

I see a lot of commentary about DI2... the people that don't have it, me included, don't get the fuss and the people who do have it wouldn't trade it in despite the occasional battery issues (and they all eventually have a battery issue). Meh, shifting is easy if you have normal finger function, doesn't bother me in the least.
i have both bmc has ultegra di2 and specialized tarmac has mechanical and no real difference to me in the rear shifting but in the front so much better if u cross chain while I know u shouldn't it will trim itself and never have to deal with chainrub I wear as for battery .have put about 15000 miles on mine never had the battery die mine last for about 3000 miles between charges .just one thing to note for the wieght wienies it is heavier than mechanical think about 3/4 of a pound if not mistaken but for a synapse wouldn't think wieght would be much of a issue
Likes For ridingfool:
Old 06-07-19, 11:19 AM
VK_Rides84
NooBie

Bikes: Giant - Roam3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I just purchased a 18’ carbon disc 105 and love it.

With your component package and price hard to argue with an upgrade!
Likes For VK_Rides84:
Old 06-07-19, 11:54 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Im gonna say... no.

Realistically, how much improvement has this frame seen over 5 years? Maybe 1 iteration?

Yeahyeahyeah, I know all the manufacturers say their new model bike is SOOOOOO much lighter, stiffer, aero, blablabla. But realistically, we are talking what? 5% here, 5% there? The manufacturing, design, engineering, etc. of carbon fiber frames has not seen dramatic improvements in the last 5 years. The rest is all marketing.

I would say: if you want DI2, just buy the groupset at your 60% discount.

Be honest with yourself: do you just want a new bike, just because? Then go for it. But dont fool yourself that it is a major "upgrade" over your current frame.