Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Today, I Wore...

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Today, I Wore...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 08:14 PM
EffSizzle
AKA F to the C

Bikes: '06 Cannondale CAAD8 R800, '07 TREK 7.3fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conditions: 75f, sunny skies. I wore my summer gear!
Old 10-26-07, 03:15 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
jeans and a long-sleeve jesery on my 16-mile commute - my scarf had to come off after the first few miles tho!

we had a dry day today out here in sea-town and 50 degrees feels great lemme tell ya.

my race videos
Old 10-26-07, 06:44 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
29 degrees. Clear as a bell. 4:30 a.m. Full moon. Comfortable with:

Torso: long sleeve base, long sleeve jersey, fleece jacket

legs: Sporthill 3SP tights

feet: one pair regular socks, one pair Defeet socks and roomy shoes.

hands: smartwool liners and Thinsulate pop top mittens

head: balaclava

This would probably work pretty well to the low 20's. Maybe at that point I'd add leg liners and booties or baggies for the feet.
Old 10-28-07, 03:58 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Was out this morning at 9am. 41f sunny. Wore jeans/leggings with shoe covers. Rainjacket/Shell, cotton gloves, thin balaclava. Was comfortable. Afternoon, 3pm, 55f sunny. Rainjacket,shorts,tights, weather was nice. Riding was nice.
Old 11-02-07, 09:11 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29F Wore. At this temp. and below on rides over 10mi and speeds over 15mi/hr 95 RPMs, I've never ridden with warm feet.

Head Vinyl-fleece helmet liner, Alpaca hat, balclava
Torso Marmot ATV, Duofold polypro long sleeve, Wool camisole, Polar tech wind blocker swatch
Legs PI Thick tights, Wool tights with feet
Feet Garnae Winter racing boot, sock liner (no room for extra socks).
Hands Kombie winter mittens

Speeds 22-10mph Cold feet within 3miles...feet stayed cold even on a 2mi ascent. Arrived with feet that hurt from cold, legs cool to the touch. 13miles.Cap did not cover the ears that could have been part of the problem.

Last edited by vrkelley; 11-02-07 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-05-07, 06:47 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
4:30am commute. 41f I wore Helmet cover, thin balaclava. Showers Pass Rain Jacket (IMO, the Best.) w/light cycling shell. Work pants w/leg warmers used as leggings (I find this combo works better than pant clips, looks a little odd but is very functional. who cares it's dark out.) Cotton jersey gloves (good to about 35f, lower, I use ski gloves.) When temp gets in the 30's I put shoe covers over my cycling shoes. https://showerspass.com/index.php
https://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...ductid=MX165-W
https://www.shopatron.com/product/par...9.56.16431.0.0
Old 11-05-07, 07:05 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scoatw
4:30am commute. 41f I wore Helmet cover, thin balaclava. Showers Pass Rain Jacket (IMO, the Best.) w/light cycling shell. Work pants w/leg warmers used as leggings (I find this combo works better than pant clips, looks a little odd but is very functional. who cares it's dark out.) Cotton jersey gloves (good to about 35f, lower, I use ski gloves.) When temp gets in the 30's I put shoe covers over my cycling shoes. https://showerspass.com/index.php
https://www.lakecycling.com/ProductIn...ductid=MX165-W
https://www.shopatron.com/product/par...9.56.16431.0.0
Did you see the Venus/Moon conjunction this morning? That's one of the great things about the early commute IMO, the sky.
Old 11-05-07, 07:44 PM
msliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning it was ~40 degrees. I wore a light wool long underwear shirt, casual canvas jacket, scarf, jeans, knee-high socks, and thin gloves. I had a nasty headwind so I got a little too hot from working against it, had to take off the scarf and open the jacket up.

On the way home it was about 35 and the wind was at my back (much more pleasant!) - I was a little cold at first but fine once I got going.
Old 11-08-07, 07:06 PM
tt1106

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Base layer long sleeve on top, long sleeve jersey, jacket, shorts, tights, balaclava and booties and gloves
My first Winter road ride. Rode 15 miles, avg. 17 mph. and I was toasty. It was 34 degrees.
Thank you all for the inspiration, this will definitely change the way I view cycling seasons.
Old 11-08-07, 07:13 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tt1106
Base layer long sleeve on top, long sleeve jersey, jacket, shorts, tights, balaclava and booties and gloves
My first Winter road ride. Rode 15 miles, avg. 17 mph. and I was toasty. It was 34 degrees.
Thank you all for the inspiration, this will definitely change the way I view cycling seasons.
Congrats!

Old 11-15-07, 09:59 PM
Magmol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22 degree out the door at 6:10 am was promptly greeted by a 8 point buck who was wearing his usual gear. I was wearing full shoe covers, Hind drylet tights, double knit rei undershirt, Giordana thermal jacket, Burley jacket, Sidetrac heavy gloves, rei barclava and cap under helmet. Had it just right.
Old 11-16-07, 04:11 AM
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whoo! getting on for some midly chilly weather here in London. -1 deg C (3o F) in central London down to about -5 deg C (23 F) in the sicks varying in between.

Me

One cheap long sleeve poly something running top,
One cheap short sleeve poly something running top.
One gillet

Combat trousers roles up to knee
Long wool socks

Ear warmer head band thing for the first 20 min of the ride.

Warm pretty quick. My gillet is the best bike clothing item I have bought this autumn, really stops the wind on your core but allows ventilation for sweat to escape, one your going don't need much more than that on your body.

I love the colder wheather much better than rain all the time.
Old 11-18-07, 08:52 AM
TrekDen
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
11/16/07 7:00pm Pittsburgh Light-Up Night ride / Temps = 30F
Head: REI Novara Balaclava, Helmet
Torso: Underarmour base L/S, Verge jersey L/S, REI Novara Tempest jacket
Legs: REI Novara Tempest tights
Feet: Smartwool socks, Cannondale MTB shoes
Hands: REI Novara glove liners, and gloves

Very warm, and comfy ride except I still have to address keeping my feet warmer. Toes got a little cold out there, but that was due to the length of time we were out (3 hours / for 22 miles). The ride itself was a semi casual group ride all around the city of Pittsburgh for our annual Light-Up Night celebration. Fun time, free hot chocalate courtesy of our local REI store, and fireworks over the city. Only down side was we got split somewhere along the way, and I wasn't with the group that ended the evening with pizza, and a couple beers.
Old 11-19-07, 09:03 AM
sumguy

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
11/18/07 9pm 31F light breeze. New to commuting so learning as I go. 4.2 miles at night
Head: Performance Windproof balaclava. Toasty but the nylon mesh mouth covering caused my glasses to fog a lot. May cut it off. Helmet.
Torso: WalMart wicking T-Shirt 100% polyester, Lightweight windbreaker. Reflective mesh vest.
Hands: polypro glove liners
Pants: Sweatpants. Tried Cannondale L.E. Foul Weather Tights in slightly windier weather same temps. Wicking was very good however I was never really cold but definitely not warm. Didn't feel windproof, not sure I want to check how water resistant they are.
Feet: Cotton socks, walking shoes. Commute is <30min. Any longer and the cold may be an issue.
I'm thinking about getting non-cycling wind/rain pants for all winter and am debating whether to wear my pak boots or get some overshoes. Oh yeah, need some pedals; have smooth nylon platform pedals.
Old 11-21-07, 07:43 PM
iso13485
Biking Viking

Bikes: GT Nomad for commuting; CADEX for touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Temp. 28 Wind 10-20 mph from NW
Helmet cover; ear muffs
polypro shirt
soft-shell jacket
reflective vest
rag-wool gloves with thinsulate
bike shorts
tights
Swix universal pants
smartwool socks
Nadora MTB shoes

Removed ear muffs last mile
Old 11-22-07, 03:36 PM
zippered
Spazzy Member

Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
freezing rain all night with temperature dropping turning to snow in the morning = first winter commute of the season!

i'm riding a newly re-built hybrid that's been in storage. since i can keep my bike inside at work and home it has gears, versus the single speed with ksyriums i replaced it with. right now it has platform pedals, but i've become so accustomed to clipless that i want to switch them out.

6:45am/1:00pm (work sent us home early cuz of the "storm" ) 0/-2C. a short 7.5kms round trip

head: new giro monza, fleece cycling cap, fleece bandana, clear lenses
torso: t-shirt, long-sleeved fleece zip-up, fleece vest, gortex cycling jacket
legs: jeans, gortex rain pants
feet: hiking boots, merino wool socks, dork straps
hands: unlined ski gloves (windstopper material) - going, MEC lobster gloves - return
Old 11-22-07, 09:04 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zippered, do you work downtown or somewhere where the weather conditions were worse? I can't imagine the weather being considered bad enough downtown to be sent home.

In the same conditions as zippered, I wore:
head: thin balaclava (seemed a bit too warm), helmet
normal clothes: cord pants, long sleeve shirt under wool sweater
overclothes: k-way jacket, nylon overpants for the road spray
wool socks, running shoes
three finger gloves, scarf

Oh and a reflective vest for extra visibility.

Worst part of the commute in: getting honked at for taking the lane (uh no way I'm riding on the slippery stuff on the edge)
Worst part of the commute home: the slippery mess created by parking cars.
The main street was well salted/relatively clear, the sidestreets were quite icy but I was only on for a short time.
Old 11-23-07, 04:50 PM
zippered
Spazzy Member

Bikes: '05 marinoni delta, '86/87 bianchi sport s(e)x, ? kona ?, raleigh '71, specialized crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello!

i work downtown (king/bathurst), that's why it's amusing. however, the head office is in etobicoke and our two union reps had to go out there for a pay-equity arbitration meeting... so i'm guessing the big boss was feeling conciliatory or something.

oh and for on topic content, today i wore my quick-dry balaclava with windstopper beanie for the first time together. worked well. i also wore my lined cycling jacket instead of the gortex, without the vest, as well as long-johns.

also, i picked up another front and back blinkie set to replace the turtle lights i had, in addition to the mounted lights i already have. these ones have 2 led lights, for just a little extra panache.
Old 11-26-07, 04:53 PM
pyeyo

Bikes: how big is this cell anyway?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
21f. light wind.
garneau helmet liner [stretch powershield]
toko lobster mittens
craft wool baselayer long sleeved top
ibex wool long-sleeved jersey
patagonia puffball vest
rei novarra tempest jacket
descente winter tights
craft wool baselayer long john style bottom
andiamo padded briefs
darn tough wool socks
lake winter cycling shoes
earband and 2 footwarmer packs in jersey pocket
I was pretty comfortable but at 1 hour my feet started to get cold
Unable to ride home because of freezing rain/ice
Old 11-27-07, 02:35 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Last Thursday (Thanksgiving) I went out for an hour wearing:
Helmet and balaclava
light, medium and heavy weight baselayers
lightweight fleece jacket
windbreaker/training jacket
old ski gloves
compression shorts and Novaro tights
old sweatpants
the same cotton socks and walking shoes I exercise in during the summer.
temp was 29 F with an invigorating breeze.
I stayed out for over an hour and was nice and warm except for the toes which got cold towards the end. Had a great ride with most of the trail to myself, and didn't mind the cold one bit. Came home and had a pile of sweaty clothes, and now I'm looking to reduce the amount of clothes I wear to cut down on the amount of laundry I generate. I've thought about getting a softshell to replace the outer 2 layers (or more), and wonder how effective that would be. I'm really comfortable when I'm out dressed in all these layers, and rode through most of last winter without many weather problems. Recommendations?
Old 11-27-07, 04:55 PM
msliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was 5 degrees when I left the house, a little wind. I wore:
Capilene longies (top and bottom)
A fleece ear-cover head band
Helmet
Jeans
Knee-high wool socks
Fleecy wicking midlayer
Light rain jacket outer shell
Lobster mitts

I was pretty warm overall but really wished I'd worn a scarf. I don't know why I didn't. It's the first time it's been cold for real this winter so I guess I'm out of practice.
Old 11-30-07, 02:40 PM
mitchogden
wannabe mechanic

Bikes: 1970 schwinn varsity (single speed); 1991 cannondale sm 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Minneapolitan: 5 F/-15 C. I'm a new winter commuter without much gear, but with a forgiving 2.0 mile/3.2 km commute. I've got a good Christmas list going (based in part on the information gleaned from this thread) to make me suited for longer rides.

head: light polarfleece balaclava, helmet, sunglasses
torso: cotton tshirt, light polarfleece sweatshirt, cheap windbreaker (Old Navy)
legs: jeans
hands: polarfleece gloves (Lands End)
feet: cotton socks, Keen Growler winter boots

NOTES: The windbreaker does its job and my body feels fine within 20 yards. Cold wrists (I'm long and lanky and sleeves tend to creep). I need gauntlets and/or extended sleeves with thumbholes. My thighs and, um, soft parts were a bit chilly when I arrived. I need to find a light underlayer for my lower half (more difficult owing to a 38" inseam). And when I ride on single digit days, for some reason the bridge of my nose gets so cold I think that it is going to burst open. I don't understand why, but goggles are on the top of that Christmas list. I recommend the Growler boots for a wide range of winter activities, including walking around campus. Light enough to be comfortable. Warm and dry enough to keep it that way.
Old 12-02-07, 09:05 AM
joshandlauri
Got another new bike

Bikes: pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Head-Performance Balaclava, helmet and wrap around work glasses (keep eyes from watering, anthing colder I'd wear goggles, glad to see I'm not the only one thinking about goggle)

Torso-2 long john shirts, t-shirt and sweatshirt, coat in my backpack in case I got to cold, that never appened.

Legs-2 long john parts and brown work parts

Hands-Performance gloves (anything colder i'd need better)

Feet-2 pairs cotton socks, old holey shoes that let all the windthrough, it was ok but I will bet better shoes(boots?) and wool socks.

It was 35 that day and I was sweating by the time I got to work, anything colder I will need better gloves.
Old 12-03-07, 03:51 PM
scoatw

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My recomendation for winter pants are the SportHill 3SP pants. Those things are awesome. They're not cheap, but are worth every penny. They are totally windproof and I don't feel any of the cold. No need to layer, maybe down in the single digits, so I've read. But they rock. I got mine at Sierra Trading Post at 50% off. All sold out now. SportHill is definetly the stuff to have in cold weather.
Old 12-03-07, 05:44 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scoatw
My recomendation for winter pants are the SportHill 3SP pants. Those things are awesome. They're not cheap, but are worth every penny. They are totally windproof and I don't feel any of the cold. No need to layer, maybe down in the single digits, so I've read. But they rock. I got mine at Sierra Trading Post at 50% off. All sold out now. SportHill is definetly the stuff to have in cold weather.
Agreed. I came across a pair quite by accident a couple years ago. What a pleasant surprise. They are great in nearly any temp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.