Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

New to cycling

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

New to cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 07:33 AM
ghigg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to cycling

I bought a used bike (Allez specialized) last year and rode it pretty good. This year I've decided that I'd like to try and do some racing. I've never done any type of bike racing before. So, I really don't know where to start. Is there a specific type of program I should follow?

Also, I'm 6'5 and weigh in at almost 270. I'd really like to drop some weight in the process, but there again I'm clueless when it comes to nutrition and biking. I've been trying to keep track of my calories consumed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-08, 08:51 AM
HillMut
peloton surfing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe Friels cyclist training bible is going to be your best starting place.
Old 05-03-08, 09:56 AM
Hammonjj

Bikes: Giant TCR and Giant TCX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the training bible. Also, bicycling magazine often has good articles on nutrition and getting started in the sport. I think the subscription is something like $18.00 a year, so pretty cheap too.
Old 05-03-08, 10:07 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might want to read posts on the Clydesdales sub-forum of BF. It is for people who weigh more than 200 pounds. A lot of information is shared there about nuitrition and weight loss. Racing means getting faster, and that usually means getting lighter in weight. Intervals are also useful in getting faster.
Old 05-03-08, 12:00 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would suggest setting your sights on recreational riding. Bicycle racing is a whole bunch more competititve than one would think.

I have done a little racing. Even small, seemingly local races get people from all over the state (in my experience Michigan and Florida). So you are not racing against just the local riders but also the best riders in the state. They ride very, very fast and are pretty derned aggressive. If you are not in superb aerobic shape and know how to ride your bike very well at very high speeds in a group, you don't want to do it. From your post, I don't think you are there yet.

I am not saying, "don't do it". I am just saying, it might be more of a deal than you think it is. I would suggest getting out and riding with a local club. For 99.9% of the riders, fast club rides are as much competition as they ever need to get involved in.

If you find after joining a club and learning the handling skills and getting into shape that you want more competition, well by all means, give racing a try.
Old 05-04-08, 04:33 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghigg
I bought a used bike (Allez specialized) last year and rode it pretty good. This year I've decided that I'd like to try and do some racing. I've never done any type of bike racing before. So, I really don't know where to start. Is there a specific type of program I should follow?

Also, I'm 6'5 and weigh in at almost 270. I'd really like to drop some weight in the process, but there again I'm clueless when it comes to nutrition and biking. I've been trying to keep track of my calories consumed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with Pat - even introductory racing is really really hard work. I suggest finding your local bike shop / bike club, and asking them about group rides. Be honest with them about what your level of fitness is right now. When you're to the point where the prospect of riding a century (100 miles per day) isn't something you really have to train more, you can think about racing.

Both Friel and Carmichael are good references for training. Initially, focus on eating good food and good recovery nutrition.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 05-05-08, 07:22 AM
ghigg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. Perhaps I should have said that I wasn't planning on racing in the races. I mean, I know there is no way I could be competitive right now. I've set some goals to give me something to shoot for. As far as I know, we don't have a bike club around here. The nearest bike shop is about an hour and a half away.

Thanks again. I'll pick up those books and focus on getting lighter first. I'm sure you'll be hearing back from me.