Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

A possible convert?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

A possible convert?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 06:17 AM
dingster1

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A possible convert?

One of the guys I work with rode his bike to work tonight. His car broke down. Now granted he's riding a GMC Denali but hey we gotta start somewhere. So in my usual calm friendly way, I began to talk to him about riding to work, and the numerous trails around here vs. Fla where he hails from. Hopefully I'll get him riding to work more. He had 2 small climbs and one of those he walked but he did it. Now all I need is for gas to go thru the roof again!!! Heee hee heee (evil laugh)
Old 04-11-09, 07:34 AM
CigTech

Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nothing wrong with the Denail. Hope he does keep riding to work, good luck
Old 04-12-09, 07:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Was at Walmart today for chain cleaner and they sold all their adult bikes except for the electric job and the Denali. That Denali is just so small but it was only $149.00!

Keep working on your work buddy, we can use him in our ranks. Some routes here in MA are getting lots of regular bike commuters but so far I haven't seem anyone on my route.
Old 04-13-09, 12:22 PM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea keep on him. ha ha! High pressure road tires may help him with the hills!
Old 04-13-09, 01:00 PM
dwr1961

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dingster1
One of the guys I work with rode his bike to work tonight. His car broke down. Now granted he's riding a GMC Denali but hey we gotta start somewhere. So in my usual calm friendly way, I began to talk to him about riding to work, and the numerous trails around here vs. Fla where he hails from. Hopefully I'll get him riding to work more. He had 2 small climbs and one of those he walked but he did it. Now all I need is for gas to go thru the roof again!!! Heee hee heee (evil laugh)
Hey, a lot of us started commuting on some pretty embarrassing rigs when we crossed over from the dark side... I borrowed a cheap, heavy, hybrid from my father-in-law... It was the same pink color (magenta?) the old German team Telekom used to have (except it looked a lot dorkier).

I also recall having to walk up a short, steep hill... It was so close to my office that many of my colleagues would see me doing it, slow down, and offer me a ride. Within a year, that "hill" was just a speed bump, I'd purchased my first "serious" bike, and completed my first century ride.

Humble beginnings are good for all of us.
Old 04-13-09, 01:07 PM
mechanicalron

Bikes: Surly LHT, 94 Cannondale track bike, 80's Cannondale track bike, 60's Raleigh 5 speed, 1888 Eldridge wood wheel track bike and my old 76 DG BMX from when I was a kid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwr1961
Hey, a lot of us started commuting on some pretty embarrassing rigs when we crossed over from the dark side... I borrowed a cheap, heavy, hybrid from my father-in-law... It was the same pink color (magenta?) the old German team Telekom used to have (except it looked a lot dorkier).

I also recall having to walk up a short, steep hill... It was so close to my office that many of my colleagues would see me doing it, slow down, and offer me a ride. Within a year, that "hill" was just a speed bump, I'd purchased my first "serious" bike, and completed my first century ride.

Humble beginnings are good for all of us.
+1 All this is true but I have to know,,, was the bike pink with sparkles?
Old 04-14-09, 04:27 PM
keiththesnake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I converted my nephew to bike commuting to work at the oil change place on an old Trek MTB that I picked up last season and tuned. Gave him my helmet from last year, too. I think I've got a blinkie laying around for him, but I just can't find it right now. I'm not sure how often he's used it, but I remain hopeful.

So, a little encouragement can go a long way. Keep encouraging your coworker. I'll keep encouraging my nephew.