Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nicer hybrid bicycle for wife. Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Nicer hybrid bicycle for wife. Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-13, 09:55 AM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever you do, have her along for test rides. Tire size in particular will affect ride quality quite a lot and the fancier flat-bar road bikes will be riding 25's or thinner, quite a lot more rigid ride. Just be sure she is interested in that. The "up" grades tend to be lighter and quicker due to the wheels and tires and up rated components, but they are also in general, a harsher ride. She may not be looking for that effect.

The Jamis Allegro and Coda are nice flat bar bikes too, just more for the pile to look at.

Another thought too, maybe what she has works well, just clean, shine and lube it all up so it's looking and functioning like new.

My experiments with the wife and a spin cycle, trying to get seats sorted out and fit for her have resulted in "interesting feedback" heh.

Last edited by kingsqueak; 10-11-13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 01:02 PM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Fuji has some great bikes, and they are often overlooked. One thing to know about Fuji is that within a model lineup, the lower the number, the higher end the bike.
The top of the line Absolute would fit the OP's budget.
https://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/absolute-11-d
My bike is a Fuji Absolute2 from 2012, which has better components than the Absolute1 for 2013 (they cut the cost and kept the price).
Old 10-11-13, 01:33 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire
My bike is a Fuji Absolute2 from 2012, which has better components than the Absolute1 for 2013 (they cut the cost and kept the price).
Yes, I see that. I was a Fuji dealer up until I closed my shop in '08, and I see that they have downgraded across the board. Still great bikes though.
Old 10-13-13, 06:14 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Sounds like she may end up on a road bike after the next hybrid. Whatever the hybrid, get the light frameset. The low weight she will instantly notice. That and the custom wheels.

This will make the transition, if at all, to a road bike later on.
Old 10-13-13, 07:49 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Actually, let me amend that to say that Specialized in the Twin Cities is dominated by a local bike and board chain (they have maybe 20 stores in MN and WI) which I've never really liked. That will bias me away. Though last year I was thinking about buying a Roubaix (I changed my mind) and so I would consider buying from them if they had the bike we really wanted. There are shops I like in the area for Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Fuji and most of the other common brands.

Based on Rhodabike's suggestion, my wife has agreed to test ride a Cannondale Quick at a nearby LBS this weekend. That's the first one we'll try, anyway.
I have had mixed experience with this chain. They do excellent classes, taught by the guys who teach their mechanics. They actually did a lot to help me fix an old bike I brought in to bike school and allowed me to come to class a couple of hours early. However, the sales staff isn't necessarily knowledgeable. I bought a bike from them early on when I was starting to ride and wanted a rack and a few other things, which they installed. They picked a rack that was the wrong size so it always sat too high. They helped me pick a pump and then sold me an attachment to the pump. The attachment wasn't necessary as it came with the pump. All and all I ended up spending too much money for things that weren't quite right. I won't buy from them anymore.

I like Quick, which I have, as well as the Vita and the FX. Another to try is the Jamis brand, sold by NOW Bike and Fitness and maybe others. Come up to Duluth, my favorite LBS is a Specialized dealer. Though now their inventory is pretty skimpy and they are starting to bring out the skiis and boards.
Old 10-13-13, 06:21 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Sounds like she may end up on a road bike after the next hybrid. Whatever the hybrid, get the light frameset. The low weight she will instantly notice. That and the custom wheels.

This will make the transition, if at all, to a road bike later on.
Some "hybrids" are very close, if not identical, to "road bikes," with a double crank and thin tyres. Some even have calliper brakes and a road-bike frame. If she gets one of those road-like "hybrids," she will be able to enjoy riding it for a long time.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-13-13, 06:43 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
She rode a 2012 Trek 7.6 and a 2013 Cannondale Quick SL 1 WSD today. These are the major brands carried by one of the LSBs that I like. I think she liked them both, but she's faced with the rather interesting problem that she knows that they feel different, but isn't sure which one will be better. You can't tell in a 20 minute ride which one will be more comfortable in a 2 hour ride. Later in the day, the Trek was sold to somebody else, and so we would have to look at a 2014 model to get her size. That might be better anyway, b/c the 2014 could then be also a WSD.

To my eyes, they are both nice bikes, though if it were me, I'd choose the Cannondale - it has a lighter frame and better components. She wants to take some time to think about it and maybe ride them again.

The sales person we dealt with was a 50+ woman, and very knowledgeable. That made a significant difference for my wife, compared to trying to get through all the attitudes of some of the young hipster guys who work in that same shop. (During a stray moment, one of those guys came over and asked if she was having trouble deciding which bike to buy. She said yes, and he said, "My advice is to buy the best bike you can afford." Oh wow, what a wise soul. She just glared at him.
Old 10-13-13, 08:36 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,224 Posts
There is a guy on commission...
Old 10-14-13, 05:26 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
pick shop first then the bike...
And if none of your LBSs bring any value to the transaction, look at the Motobecane Cafe Century Pro.
Old 10-14-13, 08:33 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by tcs
And if none of your LBSs bring any value to the transaction, look at the Motobecane Cafe Century Pro.
Oh, that looks sweet, but now that we're in the process, it's clear that good attention from the saleswoman at our LBS is going to be key, as issues of fit are more critical than componentry.

I'm not in a position to be shopping for another bike for myself, so it's kind of fun to be shopping with her, although I am making sure not to push my opinions too hard. It's just been my job (with all of your help) to show her the models to investigate. I already would have known about the Trek, but Cannondale Quick I learned about from this thread, and it might be what she buys.
Old 10-14-13, 10:05 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I've helped buy bikes for my wife and two daughters...or was it two wives and a daughter... anyway, the only thing they've ever woried about was color.

Trek made their entry level Lexa (WSD) the ugliest color ever. I'll have to post a picture of the one I bought for my daughter. If you spent more you got a nicer color scheme. A ripoff if you ask me.

Old 10-14-13, 06:39 PM
Madtown Bob
FOG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has a hybrid and a road bike. She is a light-weight and so is her road bike and does not feel comfortable riding it when it is windy. She has been blown off the road. Her hybrid is older and heavier but she still prefers riding it when it isn’t windy because she likes the trigger shifter and brakes more than her road bike brifters. Even though it is heavier, the triple on her hybrid has much lower gearing than her road bike so going uphill even seems easier. Finally, the pedals on her hybrid are much easier to clip in and out of than the ones on her road bike. So when I ask her which bikes should we take, her answer is typically the hybrid. It’s fine with me because when we’re out for our typical ride, we are not looking to get it done as quick as possible. However, when we’re on a tour, she’ll pick the road bike and feels that she’s faster because she trained on a heavier bike.

I did get a better saddle for both bikes and a better handle bar grip for her hybrid. A grip with one of those wing-shaped platforms for her wrists. I find that bikes in your price category are pretty competitive so it will come down to personal tastes, the LBS and the fit.
Old 10-16-13, 05:45 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by daihard
Some "hybrids" are very close, if not identical, to "road bikes," with a double crank and thin tyres. Some even have calliper brakes and a road-bike frame. If she gets one of those road-like "hybrids," she will be able to enjoy riding it for a long time.
Still, get the light weight. She will notice that instantly. Along with that, the handling should be more responsive. How close is that?
Old 10-16-13, 09:54 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Still, get the light weight. She will notice that instantly. Along with that, the handling should be more responsive. How close is that?
Mine weighs about 22 lbs naked, which may not be as light as the high-end carbon-frame road racers, but it's not bad. The top-of-the-line 7.7 FX does share the carbon frame with the Madone 3 line. I don't know exactly how much it weighs, but I'd expect it to be under 20 lbs. Given the frame and components it has, I consider the 7.7 FX a "flat bar road bike," though Trek officially categorise it as a "Fitness" bike (same as the lower-end FX series).

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 10-16-13, 10:30 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Short Circuit
My wife has muscular arthritis and wanted to ride so we got her a Specialized Vita.
Very comfortable for her and she has no problem doing 30 km rides on it.

Mark
The Vita looks a lot like the Cannondale Quick that my wife had. We sold it when she got her road bike. I regret selling it - it was a nice bike.

I'm presently converting our mountain bikes to rigid carbon forks and slicks. We just don't ride single track enough to justify the space they occupy. Losing the suspension fork will lighten the bike 5 lbs and the slicks will roll nicer on the greenway.
Old 10-16-13, 10:37 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If she likes the Specialized, there is no reason that you have to go back there after the sale..................
Old 10-16-13, 11:12 AM
Garfield Cat

Mine weighs about 22 lbs naked, which may not be as light as the high-end carbon-frame road racers, but it's not bad. The top-of-the-line 7.7 FX does share the carbon frame with the Madone 3 line. I don't know exactly how much it weighs, but I'd expect it to be under 20 lbs. Given the frame and components it has, I consider the 7.7 FX a "flat bar road bike," though Trek officially categorise it as a "Fitness" bike (same as the lower-end FX series).
I just posed the question to my bike fitter who is not associated with any bike shop. I gave her the context, about the rider. Then I asked her if a road bike frameset can be adjusted (fitted) to accommodate a rider who may be "in transition". The key issue is whether hybrids that resemble a road frameset should just be skipped.

Other thing, this particular rider may not have ever had a good fitting. A good fitting and a real nice frame set, and that would make a big difference.
Old 10-16-13, 11:22 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just posed the question to my bike fitter who is not associated with any bike shop. I gave her the context, about the rider. Then I asked her if a road bike frameset can be adjusted (fitted) to accommodate a rider who may be "in transition". The key issue is whether hybrids that resemble a road frameset should just be skipped.

Other thing, this particular rider may not have ever had a good fitting. A good fitting and a real nice frame set, and that would make a big difference.
If bikes came with uncut steerers this would work a lot better. Start with bars high and if you want, work your way down.
Old 10-16-13, 01:31 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Totally agreed about a good fitting and a good frame set.

I don't necessarily know whether or not the OP's wife should be in transition or not. You make it sound as though every rider will eventually want a drop-handlebar road bike and riding a hybrid is just a step towards it. It may be true for a lot of people. I'm just not sure if she fits that description.

Old 10-16-13, 01:49 PM
MinnMan

I don't necessarily know whether or not the OP's wife should be in transition or not. You make it sound as though every rider will eventually want a drop-handlebar road bike and riding a hybrid is just a step towards it. It may be true for a lot of people. I'm just not sure if she fits that description.
I'm the OP and I'm not totally sure either, but from the way she talks about it, she may never go for the full roady experience - not the bicycle and not the other things that go with it (distances, speed, pedal system, outfit, attitude, etc. etc.). If she ever gets there, there's always n+1, so we're shopping for the right bike for now.
Old 10-16-13, 04:49 PM
wobblyoldgeezer

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Solo, Specialised Sirrus Triple (quick road tourer), Santana Arriva Tandem

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I'm the OP. She may never go for the full roady experience
Good position to be in - happy with the present bike, wanting something similar but the next step up, If I read the original post correctly?

In a fit of generosity I bought the spouse a Trek 7.5 fx WSD in 2006. She's ridden in the Middle East, France, Scandinavia, USA, Austria, Hungary, Ireland on it - comfortably and fast. 8000 miles on the computer now, and for a lot of time the computer was out of battery.

She's hard to keep up with on that bike!

Asked if she wanted a new different bike. Response, no, it's the right one, but maybe a bit out of tune right now. So I rode it 25 miles this morning to our favourite but not very close bike shop to get a new chain and cassette, cables and middle ring, brake blocks and a lube. And despite it feeling like a well used bike, it was a lovely ride.

We're both big fans of Trek 7.5 fx!

(Not a shill, definitely enthusiast!)
Old 10-18-13, 05:47 AM
Garfield Cat

Let any rider get on a bike that's 16 lbs and maybe 5 pounds lighter than their current ride, and watch the "wow" factor. I think its like "you don't know what you're missing".

When you were a kid and there were your buddies with different bikes, didn't you want to just try out their bikes once in a while? Remember the first kid that got a 10 speed and all you had was a regular bike?

Where's the excitement of a new type of riding? Adults have all this baggage all about "no, not for me".
Old 10-18-13, 07:15 AM
MinnMan

Let any rider get on a bike that's 16 lbs and maybe 5 pounds lighter than their current ride, and watch the "wow" factor. I think its like "you don't know what you're missing".

When you were a kid and there were your buddies with different bikes, didn't you want to just try out their bikes once in a while? Remember the first kid that got a 10 speed and all you had was a regular bike?

Where's the excitement of a new type of riding? Adults have all this baggage all about "no, not for me".
I sort of agree with you. A nice road bike is just so much more like flying than even a spiffy hybrid. I asked if she would test ride one just to see what it's like, but she wasn't interested. And as I get older, I've learned that I have to let other people (and not just my wife) make their own decision, even if it's not the decision I would make.
Old 10-19-13, 07:33 AM
Garfield Cat

Decision making is a lot about conquering something. Sometimes its prejudice.
Old 11-07-13, 03:19 PM
decosse

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
So was a decision made ? Just curious. By the way, due to this thread I just got a 2014 Specialized Vita. You all have a lot to answer for, lol. j/k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.