Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 01:34 PM
misterwaterfall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Complete noob to track riding, but I might go check this out if the seller gets back to me. Anything that I should look for?

Fuji Track Comp 58cm Track Bike
Old 05-17-14, 12:28 AM
jmikami

Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
misterwaterfall, I wish I had any sense for bike purchases, but I don't.

However my brag for the day ... I have a set of 3T scatto 37cm track bars on the way. My track bike is one step closer to being ready for nationals. Just need to wear down my old tires so that I can glue on my vittoria cronos and purchase a new long stem when my bars arrive and I should have my ideal setup.

Are people still shying away from fast tack glue? I am thinking of switching to mastik, but I have always used fast tack in the past and know that it holds well.
Old 05-18-14, 01:21 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmikami
fast tack glue?
I won't use it personally- but if you trust it.... your call?
I mean, I'm pretty fussy- no Conti glue, Vittoria Mastik only, put on *just* so, but if you've done it and it worked well it's your business, right?
Old 05-18-14, 01:25 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Complete noob to track riding, but I might go check this out if the seller gets back to me. Anything that I should look for?

Fuji Track Comp 58cm Track Bike
Make sure the dropout plates don't have any badly depressed/dented spots, check the carbon seatpost for cracks, see if it's been crashed (scraped paint, etc), check threads on rear wheel to see if anything has been cross-threaded on, check chainring to see if has been bent or run into stuff (more of a fixie/street issue, but who knows), check top tube around mid-point to see if bars have dinged/dented it....
those are the high points- there's not THAT much to check on these things.
Old 05-18-14, 09:37 AM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Make sure the dropout plates don't have any badly depressed/dented spots, check the carbon seatpost for cracks, see if it's been crashed (scraped paint, etc), check threads on rear wheel to see if anything has been cross-threaded on, check chainring to see if has been bent or run into stuff (more of a fixie/street issue, but who knows), check top tube around mid-point to see if bars have dinged/dented it....
those are the high points- there's not THAT much to check on these things.
Thanks
Old 05-18-14, 01:29 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks
have you been out to the track yet this year? I'm headed out there in a few minutes for the afternoon.
Old 05-18-14, 02:50 PM
jmikami

Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't use it personally- but if you trust it.... your call?
I mean, I'm pretty fussy- no Conti glue, Vittoria Mastik only, put on *just* so, but if you've done it and it worked well it's your business, right?
Thanks, all my friends seem to have switched to mastik since the days when I glued tires 10 to 20 years ago. Seems like mastik is the glue of choice now a days. I think I will lean on one of them and make the switch as well. I did my first glue job in a long time last year and while the hold was great with fasttack, and it seems good 10-12 months later, it doesn't look the same as it use to after a year. So while I have not had an issue all the comments I have heard about fasttack have made me worry about it.
Old 05-18-14, 04:07 PM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this wheel worth the asking price?
Nisi disk rear wheel for track racing, price reduced
Old 05-19-14, 10:13 AM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have you been out to the track yet this year? I'm headed out there in a few minutes for the afternoon.
Damn just saw this, thank you for the invite. I haven't, but should be there for the intro class in June, then I plan to start racing the Thursday nighters here and there to get my feet wet. Apparently there's a chance to get bumped to cat 3 on the track sense I'm a 2 on the road which I might try to do once I feel comfortable in the beginner races.
Old 05-19-14, 10:19 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, okay. Well I'll probably see you out there for the class in June then, if not sooner!
Old 05-19-14, 02:12 PM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up an old carbon disc wheel to play around with for road time trial and the hub does not have threading for a lock ring. Should I assume it's ok to run it like that since I have a front bake equip on the bike? If it is then I might consider using it on the velodrome as well.
Old 05-19-14, 02:18 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbs z31
I just picked up an old carbon disc wheel to play around with for road time trial and the hub does not have threading for a lock ring. Should I assume it's ok to run it like that since I have a front bake equip on the bike? If it is then I might consider using it on the velodrome as well.
in general, many people use cogs without freewheels in velodromes- at the speeds and inertia of normal track racing lock rings aren't as crucial as they are riding on the roads.
You mention a front brake- are you aware that no velodromes allow bikes with brakes to be ridden while track bikes are on the track?
Street/Fixie bikes are quite different than "Velodrome" bikes in every way but marketing.
If you are running a fixed gear bike without a lockring in around-town use, please don't try skid-stopping, even a little bit- it'll go badly.

So.... if you are riding a fixed gear on the street, sure- ride with a front brake, no lock ring, don't exert backward pressure on the pedals though.
if you are riding on a velodrome, probably no need for a locking (unless you are doing match sprints and such things), but your front brake will have to go.
Old 05-19-14, 02:22 PM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
in general, many people use cogs without freewheels in velodromes- at the speeds and inertia of normal track racing lock rings aren't as crucial as they are riding on the roads.
You mention a front brake- are you aware that no velodromes allow bikes with brakes to be ridden while track bikes are on the track?
Street/Fixie bikes are quite different than "Velodrome" bikes in every way but marketing.
If you are running a fixed gear bike without a lockring in around-town use, please don't try skid-stopping, even a little bit- it'll go badly.

So.... if you are riding a fixed gear on the street, sure- ride with a front brake, no lock ring, don't exert backward pressure on the pedals though.
if you are riding on a velodrome, probably no need for a locking (unless you are doing match sprints and such things), but your front brake will have to go.
I have 2 bikes, one is for the velodrome and the other for road time trial with a front brake. I just wanted to know if it was safe to run on the track without a lock ring.
Old 05-19-14, 03:45 PM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn just saw this, thank you for the invite. I haven't, but should be there for the intro class in June, then I plan to start racing the Thursday nighters here and there to get my feet wet. Apparently there's a chance to get bumped to cat 3 on the track sense I'm a 2 on the road which I might try to do once I feel comfortable in the beginner races.
Cat 1 and 2 get some upgrade points but no auto upgrades, you still need to go through Thursdays to get to cat 4 on Mondays then get upgraded from there which can be fairly quick. You will be after the current set of cat 1/2 roadies who are going through now so it might be a bit easier.
I will be renting bikes and ringing the bell most Thursdays so say Hi when you get there.
Old 05-20-14, 03:18 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sbs z31
Is it a track disk so good chain line or is it an old road disk that used screw on clusters?

As to lockrings when no reverse thread, you can use an old british bottom bracket lock ring threaded the same direction.
Old 05-20-14, 03:42 AM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
Is it a track disk so good chain line or is it an old road disk that used screw on clusters?

As to lockrings when no reverse thread, you can use an old british bottom bracket lock ring threaded the same direction.
It's a old track disc and I've heard of using a bottom bracket lock ring but I don't think I can really get one on there good enough as there's only a couple of threads showing.
Old 05-20-14, 01:01 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
I need to get my ass on some 165 cranks.

Campagnolo Record Pista track crankset | Retrogression seems WAY cheaper than Ben's cycle has them for. Should I go campy record over Dura Ace? https://www.benscycle.com/p-896-shim...k-cranks.aspx?
Old 05-20-14, 01:41 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
I need to get my ass on some 165 cranks.

Campagnolo Record Pista track crankset | Retrogression seems WAY cheaper than Ben's cycle has them for. Should I go campy record over Dura Ace? https://www.benscycle.com/p-896-shim...k-cranks.aspx?
I've heard that Campy track cranks were not for sprinters. Too flexy or something. I would go DA or Sugino 75. You'll like 165s. Nice and zippy.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-20-14, 01:49 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
I use Sugino 75. I am with Brian.
Old 05-20-14, 01:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

What does Povey use********** BTW, I asked Lee at one of his clinics about crank length and he said that it did not make any difference and to match the track bike crank length to my road bike. At that point in time, I was using 172 on both my road bike and track bike. And he may have a different theory today.
Old 05-20-14, 03:04 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I've heard that Campy track cranks were not for sprinters. Too flexy or something. I would go DA or Sugino 75. You'll like 165s. Nice and zippy.
Good to know, I'll probably do one of those then. Have you heard any differences between DA and Sugino 75's?

Originally Posted by Hermes
What does Povey use********** BTW, I asked Lee at one of his clinics about crank length and he said that it did not make any difference and to match the track bike crank length to my road bike. At that point in time, I was using 172 on both my road bike and track bike. And he may have a different theory today.
He uses 165 IIRC. He also wants me on 165 on my road bike. So there's that
Old 05-20-14, 03:58 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I was wondering whether he uses D/A, Sugino or Campy.
Old 05-20-14, 04:45 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Good to know, I'll probably do one of those then. Have you heard any differences between DA and Sugino 75's?
Both are stiff. DA is lighter (probably stiffer too), but it'll also make your wallet float away. I use Sugino 75.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-20-14, 04:45 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also heard about trying to match crank lengths Road =Track. I'm a newbie and I have 1 Track bike but 3 or so Road Bikes I use.
I'm 5-11 210lbs, my Track is 167.5 but when I bought my road bikes they were all at 175, which is on a 56-57 frame.

I am not at the point where I can afford to swap out the cranks on all today, except one. I do commute about 44 miles 3-4x a week and that actually uses a biopace crankset 175. I bought a 170 crankset for that bike figuring that a) it's close to the 167.5 and b) will get my effort a bit more evened out.

Based on that experiment and a few sessions this season with a coach I can decide what to swap if need be.
I do believe that the shorter cranks will improve my spin especially with "round" chainrings. Not even sure if I should be at 167.5 -165 or 170, I get so many opinions. What I need is more exceleration and am working on it, maybe the road bike is slowing me up with too long a set-up. In anycase I am sure the Biopace is not helping.
Old 05-20-14, 05:01 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
I also heard about trying to match crank lengths Road =Track. ...
I dunno about that. I regularly switch between short cranks on the track and long cranks on the road. But here's the thing: I don't generally ride a road bike the same way as a track bike.

When I am training for track on the road (say, standing starts or sprint jumps), then yes, I do match the cranks on my road bike (really a track bike with brake) to those on my track bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.