Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

HELP! Major issue at LBS

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

HELP! Major issue at LBS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 11:39 AM
EricD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HELP! Major issue at LBS

I just bought a new Tandem from my LBS. It is a Burley Rivazza and it is a Last Years Model.

Thursday I called the bike shop, the day before I bought it, and they said they were having a blowout sale of the last years models and gave me a price over the phone.

Friday I went to the bike shop and the price was marked as he said over the phone so I purchased the bike and took it home.

I got the bike all dialed in with new pedals, seats, computer, cages, Tubes Tires Liners and fitted then proceeded to ride the crap out of it all weekend.

I was gone all weekend with the new tandem and they left numerous messages for me but I did not return the call until Monday morning.

Monday they are telling me to bring the bike back or give them more money because they sold it to me too cheap. "What???" I said.

I knew the bike was reasonably priced but since it was a last years model, totally stock without a race package or options and because I am not that versed on the price of Burley Tandems I didnt think twice about what I thought was a good deal. I guess the manager figured out the price was too low after I bought it. They said it was mismarked.

Apparently they think I should have paid 900 bucks more than I did.

Opinions or thoughts on what the heck I should do...

Thanks in advance...

Eric
Old 04-11-05, 11:50 AM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They gave you the price over the phone, then had it on the floor marked with the same price that they quoted you. You paid that price, and have a receipt showing that you paid the price that was marked. As much as I like to support my LBS, this is clearly their mistake, not yours. I don't think my shop would have the cajones to ask for me to come back and pay more. I certainly wouldn't, your buying decision was based on the price they gave you. Painful mistake for them, but again, their mistake, not yours.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 04-11-05, 11:51 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would tell them you are sorry for their mistake but that they need to be better business people. The price was agreed to and paid. You owe them nothing.
Old 04-11-05, 01:00 PM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow...I'm amazed that they even had the nerve to call you. What total bullsh*t. They quoted you the price up front, confirmed it in the store and were happy enough to ring up your purchase and take payment at that amount. Title passed. Sold is sold.

I love my LBS too, but no frikkin way I would even think twice about the deal. If they had mis-keyed the price at checkout or something, maybe that would be different. But they had plenty of opportunity to set the correct selling price. And either way, you did absolutely nothing wrong here. Enjoy your bike and don't even feel bad about the way things worked out. If they had any brains they would be pumping you up about what a great deal that you got to bring you back the next time.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-05, 01:02 PM
cedo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you tell them no, you are effectively ending a business relationship with them, even if you are in the right. Alternative -- build some good will. Tell them that the bike is a completed sale, but you will agree to purchase other items from them -- locks, tires, whatever. After all, you got something cheaper than "market" pricing so you can afford to throw some additional business their way. That would make them see you as more than a one time buyer and a satisfied customer. As Mark L has pointed out before, the price of bike is a fraction of what we spend on our bikes. The margin is typically higher on clothing and accessories. So they would have the chance to make a fair proift on any purchase going forward. If they refuse this generous offer and insist that you pay them more, then quit dealing with them.
Old 04-11-05, 01:03 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Let me echo the comments of the previous two posters: the transaction is complete. They quoted a price, you agreed to the terms of the sale, and the "deal" has been completed. No need to belabor the issue.

Anything else you'd like to do to protect your karma, etc... would be in the name of goodwill / kind heartedness.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 04-11-05 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-11-05, 01:04 PM
EricD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twahl
They gave you the price over the phone, then had it on the floor marked with the same price that they quoted you. You paid that price, and have a receipt showing that you paid the price that was marked. As much as I like to support my LBS, this is clearly their mistake, not yours. I don't think my shop would have the cajones to ask for me to come back and pay more. I certainly wouldn't, your buying decision was based on the price they gave you. Painful mistake for them, but again, their mistake, not yours.
Thanks for the quick reply. I do have a receipt and it does have model and serial number on it. I just hope the nice sales kid does not get fired, he was so helpful with loading the bike and great customer service. I doubt it was him that mismarked the bike.

Eric
Old 04-11-05, 01:07 PM
EricD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
Let me echo the comments of the previous two posters: the transaction is complete. They quoted a price, you agreed to the terms of the sale, and the "deal" has been completed. No need to belabor the issue.

Thanks Guys... I really appreciate the input. I let you know how it turnes out.

Eric
Old 04-11-05, 02:04 PM
just me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what its worth: In Mississippi, a store is required to sell you an item at the price that it is marked. Otherwise it is considered false advertising.
I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, IF I wanted to continue the relationship with the LBS, IF they had a history of treating me fairly and IF the price was VERY much below their cost I might consider splitting the difference with them. But maybe if LBS did this to me I would consider that they weren't very smart and didn't deserve any more of my business.
(Side note: our only LBS here is so bad I now drive 60+ miles for bike items, and I drove 300 miles to purchase our tandem.)

Jack
Old 04-11-05, 02:18 PM
K&M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on purchasing a Rivazza. We are totally loving ours. We're sorry to hear that the purchasing experience has turned out so negatively ---- due to the outrageous behavior of the lbs.

In our opinion, the only conceivable way in which you could be "morally" in the wrong would be if the price was so low that you "should have" realized it was a mistake. But since you were buying last year's model during a "blowout" sale, I'd think it would have to have been practically free for this to apply. Obviously, you did not know it was a mistake and you bought it based on the price you were quoted. End of story.

I'd be nervous about doing business with a LBS that would call and ask for more money under these circumstances. If there are any other stores in your area, maybe you should develop a relationship with them.
Old 04-11-05, 02:21 PM
elares

Bikes: Rivendell, Trek 7700, Univega Viva Sport, Bike Friday, Bike Friday Tandem, Bike Friday Triple, Trail-A-Bike, Trailer.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could (not that you should) calculate the value of your time spent preparing the bike and the time to return it to the condition when you bought it, and offer to sell it back to them for purchase prices plus the value of your time.
Old 04-11-05, 02:43 PM
EricD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K&M
Congratulations on purchasing a Rivazza. We are totally loving ours. We're sorry to hear that the purchasing experience has turned out so negatively ---- due to the outrageous behavior of the lbs.

In our opinion, the only conceivable way in which you could be "morally" in the wrong would be if the price was so low that you "should have" realized it was a mistake. But since you were buying last year's model during a "blowout" sale, I'd think it would have to have been practically free for this to apply. Obviously, you did not know it was a mistake and you bought it based on the price you were quoted. End of story.

I'd be nervous about doing business with a LBS that would call and ask for more money under these circumstances. If there are any other stores in your area, maybe you should develop a relationship with them.
Thanks for the response. The LBS is not my normal shop I do biz with already, I only drove all the way up there to get to the BlowOut Sale they were having on last years tandems. It was not too far in miles but I did have to drive by a few other shops to get there (about 25 miles). I probably would only go there again for my free tune ups and tandem specific things. Free tune-ups are suspect at this point and I think I will just pay for them somewhere else.

**** Update *****
I called the shop again to try to finalize the thing and the manager was not there but sales girl said the owner was there and she would put me through to him. The sales girl put me on hold and then came back a minute later and said the owner would not talk to me. She said that the owner said "the manager screwed up and the manager will fix it."

I told the girl if the owner doesn't think this is important enough to take my call then I am done.
I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all your thoughts...

Eric
Old 04-11-05, 06:17 PM
EricD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Update on the Situation

The other owner called me back. He was super nice. He said he would still honor the 2 free tuneups and he wanted me as a customer. He said the mismarked price was thier mistake and I got a great deal on a tandem. He also added if I wanted to take mercy on them that he would like to negotiate me giving additional money to the LBS but it was solely up to me.

This was a far cry from the first guy saying bring us the bike or a grand.

Eric
Old 04-11-05, 08:55 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say that what cedo said, go buy some extra gear from them, would be a good solution. Throw them some extra sales but still get something for your money, not just give them more because they'd like to have it.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 04-11-05, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I totally agree. They made the mistake, and they expected you to pay for it. They should realize their mistake, apologize for bringing you in on their problems, and encourage you to continue shopping with them. I drop more money on stores with all the extras I buy than the actual cost of the bike. Example- I have $400 in Performance coupons. I could not imagine what I would do if they told me to bring a bike back they messed up the price with. I'd bring in my Performance coupons and ask them if they'd prefer my loyal business or if they wanted to correct their mistake. I betcha anything they'd shut up real quick.

Koffee

Old 04-12-05, 03:48 AM
just me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if your LBS owner or employees read this forum?

Jack
Old 04-12-05, 04:05 AM
scroz
It's so cold out there...

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder what would be the case if the situation was reversed and you found out that you had paid $900 more than you should have... You think if you rang the shop and said give me $900 i paid too much they would care? Like hell they would, they would laugh in your face. So you should laugh too, all the way to the bank
Old 04-12-05, 06:29 AM
TimP
Will ride for beer

Bikes: Too many to mention

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't own a shop, but 2 of my best friends do. I know from first hand experience how tough it is to keep tandems on the floor of a shop for sale. Most tandem buyers who buy from a shop are going to order exactly what they want. Year old bikes end up being sold at cost or less. In the interest of helping the shop promote tandeming you should try to work out something that is a good deal for both of you. I don't know how big this shop is but $900 is a big loss for most shops. IMHO a good deal isn't benefiting from someone else's mistakes no matter how careless.
Old 04-12-05, 06:59 AM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's the view from that high moral ground Tim.
Old 04-12-05, 10:25 AM
cornucopia72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The key to me is the way they demanded: bring the extra money or bring the bike back! Because of that, I would not hesitate keeping the bike and not giving them any more money or future bussines. If, on the other hand, they had been as nice as the fellow that help you load it.... I would not hesiate helping them any way I could.
Old 04-12-05, 10:35 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep the fricken bike.
Old 04-12-05, 11:56 AM
TimP
Will ride for beer

Bikes: Too many to mention

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rule
How's the view from that high moral ground Tim.
Just stayin ahead of the wolves brother.
Old 04-12-05, 01:23 PM
powers2b
Listen to me

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand.
You bought a bike.
Enjoy it.
You have done nothing wrong.
The maroon that priced the bike or rang you up should be the one that pays the difference.

Enjoy
Old 04-15-05, 11:37 PM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess those that are perfect have nothing to worry about. For the rest of us, this may present a bit or a moral question. While I love a bargain, if it comes at the expense of a private retailer, I would at least try to work something out with the shop owner so that he is not at a great loss. Lost markup is one thing, but as someone noted, if this was sold way below cost, that can greatly impact a shop. If you understand retail turnover, you know what I'm talking about. Of course, it this was a giant chain, all bets are off. That's my 2 cents.
Old 04-16-05, 01:23 AM
kurremkarm
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the bike back and get ur money back. What's the big deal u got to ride it for free for a few days, what are u out? Nothing.

That's the wonderful thing about having my own morale code, it still works even if society doesn't agree.

**** society, live with urself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.