Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Former racer came in. Raleigh 753, number hanger

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-23, 03:58 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts

It is a mismatch of parts, but he explained that as a racer, he wasn’t concerned about making sure every part matched. The cranks are original, Durace, derailers, Shimano, 600 brakes, Cinelli cockpit. currently rides on a trek fork, but includes the original fork, and another matching fork. Plus a spare saddle which is crazy light weight.

I know bikes with Reynolds 753 are rare and sought after. I have no idea about Raleighs and Reynolds tubing in general.

Also note the number hanger which makes sense because well, he raced and raced a lot. It was donated to the Co-op I help out. No idea how to price this.

How much is this bike worth? Is it considered collectable?

Last edited by Robvolz; 11-18-23 at 12:20 PM.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 11-17-23, 04:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...is there a question on valuation ?
Old 11-17-23, 05:58 PM
Robvolz 

My humble apologies, is this not the tandem section??

yes, of course.

What is this frame worth? And should I sell it with these components or is it better to strip it and sell as frame only?

I know nothing about Raleigh or 753 other than it was supposed to be special and finicky. Jim Merz told me he had to send in a sample of his brazing skills to prove his worthiness before Reynolds would sell him any tubes.

Last edited by Robvolz; 11-18-23 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-18-23, 12:21 PM
Robvolz 

anyone?
Old 11-18-23, 01:47 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Robvolz
My humble apologies, is this not the tandem section??

yes, of course.

What is this frame worth? And should I sell it with these components or is it better to strip it and sell as frame only?

I know nothing about Raleigh or 753 other than it was supposed to be special and finicky. Jim Merz told me he had to send in a sample of his brazing skills to prove his worthiness before Reynolds would sell him any tubes.
...753 was something that was developed and billed as lighter and stiffer for the weight of it, than 531.
It is difficult to cold set...almost but not quite impossible. You can probably Google the characteristics of the stuff.

I have one bike I ride sometimes that is made from 753 tubing. But for the most part it came along right before the big switch to other, lighter frame materials. It goes OK, but I'm not real good on describing how different it feels, from 531. Like all the newest and latest things, it went through a brief period of popularity. The SBDU Raleigh frames were made with both 531 frames and 753 frames as requested.

Yours is a Raleigh USA frame, which is a whole different thing. I know nothing about them, other than they were mostly an Asian production, sold by an entirely different operation, Raleigh USA.

In 1982, rights to the Raleigh USA name were purchased by the Huffy Corporation after decades of being the US distributor of Raleigh bikes from England. Under the terms of the agreement, Raleigh of England licensed Huffy to design and distribute Raleigh bicycles in the US,[30] and Huffy was given instant access to a nationwide network of bike shops. The renamed Raleigh Cycle Company of America sold their bikes in the US. In the rest of the world, origin varied.
At that time, production of some U.S. Raleigh models were shifted to Japan, with Bridgestone manufacturing most of these bikes. By 1984, all Raleighs for the American market, except the top-of-the range Team Professional (made in Ilkeston) and Prestige road bikes (made in Nottingham), were produced in the Far East.[citation needed] Meanwhile, in the home market,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh_Bicycle_Company
It's a kind of complicated history, so you should read the Wikipedia link for more information. I have no idea of the year on yours, but you might be able to find some catalog info on where and when the 753 models were built out. I presume it was probably one of the better (best ?) production models marketed by Raleigh USA. I know the SBDU bikes have a following, but I'm not sure if yours would have the same following. I guess you could get more money selling off the parts on e-bay, and the frame separately, but the enormous extra hassle would not be worth it in a co-op environment. Unless you have someone specifically working the e-bay angle (some co-ops do).

With the Raleigh USA brand name (relatively lesser known), and the obvious mix of parts, at a co-op, I'd probably shoot for $400-$500 and hope it finds an appreciative rider. If it hangs around too long, reduce the price. It's a smaller frame, which limits your walk in market demographic. I probably don't need to repeat that prices on this stuff are depressed right now.
Old 11-18-23, 02:14 PM
Robvolz 

Y’know

i truly appreciate you explaining the tubes, the limitation, the history, the mystery of where it was made, and lastly, the value.

seriously thanks.

I can only wrench, search valuation and offend so many based on a comic strip in one day. plus ride and drink.

I will post at $500 and see what happens..

question: is there a place on the frame that would indicate it’s country of origin? I guess to me it seems silly to ship tubes from England to Japan to build a frame to be sent to the United States. I was under the impression that Raleigh USA was shipped in parts and finished in the Seattle area.
Old 11-18-23, 02:16 PM
Robvolz 

Also, Bridgestone is not a bad thing.

a huge selling point if you ask me.
Old 11-18-23, 02:48 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 639 Posts
The nicer Raliegh USA bikes were made in Seattle. On these there should be a country of origin label on the seat tube just above the bottom bracket can't make it out from the pic's but it does look like the label for built in the USA. These were legit higher end race bikes when new with the mix of parts I would guess $450-500 would be worth a bit more if it had the original full matching DA comp components.. I would put the original fork back on it give it a tune up and list it for $500 and see what happens.
Old 11-18-23, 03:05 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Great bike sold as a frameset only. Raleigh USA but not Asian-built. Originally would have had a Manufactured in England sticker on the seat tube. Black fork was the original.

I have a 531c USA made in England frameset. Paid $80 for it. Not sure 753 commands that much of a premium.

Old 11-18-23, 05:19 PM
Robvolz 

I just spoke to the racer in question, he said he was told that the 753 frames were made at the workshop in England.

Considering they made Framebuilder‘s pass a test before they were allowed to raise these, that makes sense.

I’m not finding a sticker.

I will list this bike for 500 including the two extra forks, extra seat, and I’ll see if I can’t find some dura-ace brakes. He told me the only thing still original on this bike is the crank.
Old 11-18-23, 05:47 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
What is the serial number?

Some 753s were Workshop and some were SBDU. And perhaps other shops but the serial number should help determine that.
Old 11-18-23, 07:32 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 415 Posts
Here’s one for sale in Japan, a new frame and fork, never ridden. The price is 180,000 yen, or about $1300, though it’s not likely to sell for that much.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/t1070652366
Old 11-18-23, 08:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

... he said he was told that the 753 frames were made at the workshop in England.
Originally Posted by jon c.
What is the serial number?

Some 753s were Workshop and some were SBDU. And perhaps other shops but the serial number should help determine that.
...maybe he was told "Worksop" ? That was the location for the Carleton factory that Raleigh absorbed.
Old 11-19-23, 09:18 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Regardless of the actual builder these like pretty much all the higher end Raleigh USA bike are very nice true top end bikes I really like the paint on most of there stuff about the best around at the time.. It just seems most of there nicer stuff from the 80's and early 90's just doesn't get the appreciation they should. A equivalent frame set from the same time period with a better known Italian label on it would sell for $200-300 more and likely not be as nice.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 11-20-23, 09:10 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Cool bike

i empathize with the former owner just using whatever Parts he could scrounge up to keep the bike running in his racing days

I had a similar program. When you put on big Miles in an angry fashion, stuff breaks. Gets expensive for those of us on budgets

my GT had 105 brakes, old campy hubbed tubulars on gel 280’s with Sachs freewheels, friction shift and a mish mash of everything else for a long time until I used my student loan and got a nice DeBernardi with a Veloce parts build.
It was wonderful for about six months but after a couple years it too looked like it had been dragged through a parts bin.
Likes For DMC707:
Old 11-20-23, 09:17 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
It is a mismatch of parts, but he explained that as a racer, he wasn’t concerned about making sure every part matched...
This statement has real meaning for me.

It's the ride that counts...
Old 11-20-23, 06:26 PM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 103 Posts
Looks like an Ilkeston built frame. I had one just like it but in a larger frame size.
There should be a serial number stamp under the bottom bracket resembling SBXXXX.

The sticker on the back side of the seat tube, what does it read?

You may also want to double check and see if the frame is 753 or 753R. The one I had was 753R.
Old 11-20-23, 09:03 PM
Robvolz 

Says built in England
Old 11-20-23, 10:05 PM
satbuilder 

So it’s a 753 R frame. The sticker I was referring to is in front of the rear tire, back side of the seat tube, where the E in Raleigh is.

The real proof will be with the serial number having an SB prefix.
Old 11-21-23, 03:54 PM
Robvolz 

SB 6292

I was wrong It’s a 51

Which the bb confirms
Old 11-21-23, 06:09 PM
satbuilder 

Well, there you go. It’s an Ilkeston built frame.
At your $500 asking, this should go quickly, provided there aren’t dents or dropout problems
Old 11-22-23, 09:43 AM
Robvolz 

Originally Posted by satbuilder
Looks like an Ilkeston built frame. I had one just like it but in a larger frame size.
There should be a serial number stamp under the bottom bracket resembling SBXXXX.

You may also want to double check and see if the frame is 753 or 753R. The one I had was 753R.
what is the difference between 753 and 753R?
Old 11-22-23, 09:54 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 3,772 Times in 1,848 Posts
https://dentoncycles.co.uk/2017/05/17/the-sbdu-and-their-use-of-reynolds-753-reynolds-753r-and-reynolds-753t/ - Reynolds 753 SBDU
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 11-22-23, 10:35 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
$500 for all that seems like a pretty good price; alternatively, if you can afford to let things sit for a while while you find buyers, I'd sell the frame with the original fork, and everything else separately, since it's an odd lot of high end vintage stuff.

I'm guess with that approach you might get $300 for the frameset, about $100 for each extra fork, and around $400 for the wheels, saddles and components all listed individually.
Old 11-22-23, 10:43 AM
zukahn1 

753R is the thinner lighter race version of the tubing which tracks right for this frames history size. Meaning it is 1-2m thinner in places and bit tighter more aggressive stiff slightly shorter wheelbase and top line and a pound or so lighter which doesn't matter, unless your stuck in a 80's weight weeinie racing time warp. May thin tire choices by 2mm or so and up the value by $50-100 some buyers will pay $50-100 more for bit lighter bike so list the actual weight weenie curb weight with the lightest fork in your adds and that is 753R Ilkeston built frame to get bit more value.

Last edited by zukahn1; 11-23-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For zukahn1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.