Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle 101 - Everything you need to know about cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 02:29 PM
LTH2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would just like to take this time to introduce myself and my new website. I am an avid cyclist and part-time web creator who has been riding for years. Because I have so much experience I wanted to create a website devoted to everything you need to know about cycling. I remember when I first started riding I looked all over the internet for information, and never could find one site that answered all my question. So I made Bicycle 101, everything you need to know about cycling and more. The web address is www.goto-site.com/bicycle101. It is a work in progress and will be totally up and ****ional by the end of november. Information will constantly be added. Thanks for your time.

P.S. I can make websites for you if you wish..let me know
Old 10-29-05, 07:15 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Keep up with the effort - you are covering a lot of ground on that site. I think you should put your links in the relevant areas. For example Sheldon Brown has pages related safety, so you should link to these pages in your Safety section. In your safety section, you should also emphasize the importance of following the rules of the road (drive on the RH side). You should also have a section on shopping for a bike. Invest in a Grammar and Spell checker.
Old 10-29-05, 07:28 PM
LTH2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the opinion...it definetly is a work in progress
Old 10-29-05, 09:24 PM
froze
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think you need to make some corrections: In the lighting category LED's are not brighter then halogen, it's the other way around, and dollar for dollar you get a brighter light with halogen then with LED. The only advantages LED has is the longer battery and bulb life.

In the lock section cable locks are the easiest locks to overcome not the hardest as you stated; and certain chain locks are the toughest to overcome. You didn't mention the U Lock which is probably the best defense against theft as long as you buy a good one.

After reading just that one section on accessories I stopped reading. Sorry, but I found it full of missinformation.
Old 10-29-05, 09:27 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
sounds like 101, all right.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-05, 09:35 PM
rideabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you want to do web work for people, here is a suggestion that you can use on your site and pass on to clients.

I notice on the donation page, you have your email address. Spammers will pick that up and bombard you with junk.

Consider encoding the address, using something like the encoder here:

https://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html

There are java encoders also that are more sophisticated.
Old 10-29-05, 09:48 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I can't see your webpage. All I get is a Ebay banner and a web template ad.

LED's are not brighter then halogen, it's the other way around, and dollar for dollar you get a brighter light with halogen then with LED. The only advantages LED has is the longer battery and bulb life.
Watt for watt, LEDs are brighter, but as you say, the LEDs cost a lot more. Battery life is debatable. From what I've seen so far, equivalent halogen and LED have about the same battery life.
Old 10-29-05, 10:15 PM
LTH2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just like to admit that I can now see that my website was "released" prematurely and I still have lots of work to do. Thank you to all who pointed out my few mistakes so far. Please look forward to looking at my site in the near future.
Old 10-30-05, 07:09 AM
rideabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what you mean when you say "watt for watt" As a practical matter, incandescent bulbs are brighter than led lights. There are reasons to use led lights - longer battery life, better resistance to vibration, but if you want a big output from a small package, incandescent will give it to you.

LED bulbs

LEDs are fairly new on the scene of flashlights and they are really taking off. They tend to be much more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs, running 5-10 times as long on a set of batteries, and they won't "blow" if subjected to impacts. They have very long lifespans, lasting into the thousands of hours in normal use, unlike incandescent bulbs, which generally tend to fail after 5-20 hours of use. However, they are not as bright as incandescent bulbs, but that is changing.
https://www.flashlightreviews.com/fea...yers_guide.htm

Look at the reviews on the site. Incandescent bulbs have the most output and throw:

https://www.flashlightreviews.com/fea...hart_throw.htm

https://www.flashlightreviews.com/fea...rt_overall.htm

Originally Posted by Erick L

Watt for watt, LEDs are brighter, but as you say, the LEDs cost a lot more. Battery life is debatable. From what I've seen so far, equivalent halogen and LED have about the same battery life.
Old 10-30-05, 07:28 AM
zbicyclist
Dilettante

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All I know is: I have several Cateye lights, each of which uses the same mount and uses 4 AA batteries. The halogens are MUCH brighter, but last 3 hours or so. The LED's last much longer, but aren't nearly as bright. As a practical matter, using one of each makes a lot of sense for me.

My knowledge of electrical engineering isn't sufficient go to beyond this.
Old 10-30-05, 07:35 AM
zbicyclist
Dilettante

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On your site, it says " If you are a night rider you ... you probably want to consider getting a headlight"

So far as I know, every state REQUIRES a headlight when riding at night, for good reason.
Old 10-30-05, 09:00 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm no electrical engineer either (far from it). I'm just a LED enthousiast and read on the subject. What I noticed is people compare a 1w LED with a 10w halogen and say the LED is weak but last longer. Of course it does. But from what I've seen, if you compare a 10w LED with a 10w halogen, the LED is much more powerful but battery life is about the same (or even less???). Of course it depends on the battery pack but every powerful LED I have seen have run times that are about the same as halogen.

Look at the beam comparaison at solidlights.co.uk. It's a 3w LED vs 10w halogen. The 3w LED is pretty close. Then look at the run times. The numbers are nothing impressive.
Old 10-30-05, 12:19 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Why not just ditch them both and go to HID? I think a measurement metric of total-lumens/watt would equalize lights of different wattage.
Old 10-30-05, 12:28 PM
taterhead
Black Tom Flint

Bikes: Raleigh Passage 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Same for me. Doesn't seem to play well with firefox?
Old 10-30-05, 01:25 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Same here using Firefox, Opera, and Konqueror under Linux. Site not ready for prime time.

San Francisco, California
Old 10-30-05, 01:29 PM
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LTH2009
Hmmmm. Thanks, but no thanks.

San Francisco, California
Old 10-30-05, 03:43 PM
rideabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a description for anyone who is interested.

https://www.ledtronics.com/pages/Util..._or_Incand.htm
Old 10-30-05, 04:03 PM
Canuckiadian
Dump The DooDudeDood Now!

Bikes: dude who are you?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see nothings! The x es in safari, IE, mozilla, firefox
Old 10-30-05, 04:16 PM
wagathon
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the safety area, I'd add, "Collision #5: A head-on with a car on a tight curve," and, maybe some warning about being sucked under the wheels of a chip truck on the coastal route in Northern Calif.
Old 10-31-05, 04:47 PM
AtlAllez

Bikes: Specalized Allez Elite and Vintage Vitus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i cant get it to come up eaither..?? It is not mac friendly or something
Old 10-31-05, 09:54 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Because I have so much experience I wanted to create a website devoted to everything you need to know about cycling.
Tall order considering that we can't even agree on the best chain lube around here. When do you expect to have the section on optimum frame geometries for different cycling applications up?

I remember when I first started riding I looked all over the internet for information, and never could find one site that answered all my question.
Have you looked over www.sheldonbrown.com?

It is a work in progress and will be totally up and ****ional by the end of november. Information will constantly be added.
I guess bikeforums.com can start shutting down in December.

You might try making websites that work with something other than Internet Deplorable.

OK, so I'm sniping a bit. But you seem to make some pretty big claims and have pretty little so far to show for it. I think to produce a comprehensive website on cycling win the space of a year, let alone a month, would be a pretty significant accomplishment. Maybe you have it in you, but if the following from your website is an example...

"1. Glasses protect your eyes from wind, sun, and small objects as you are riding. I would recommend shatter proof ones such as Oakleys. Glasses are not too important for riding, but can be a great accessory."

...then I recommend you put the website on hold for a while until you get your content written and vetted out. By the way, why would something that protects your eyes from small objects be 'not too important for riding'? Why did you recommend Oakleys in one sentence, then state that glasses are inexpensive? Your budget must be slightly higher than mine.
Old 11-01-05, 07:54 AM
landstander
darling no baka

Location: I come from a place where the nuts hunt the squirrels

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2005 Trek 520, 2005 Raleigh Companion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
You might try making websites that work with something other than Internet Deplorable.
Seconded... the site is completely broken for Mozilla-based browsers (such as Firefox). Generally speaking, I consider this an indication that a site isn't worth taking seriously.
Old 11-01-05, 01:08 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Well... it's a case of corporate espionage. Microsoft freely gives away web-development tools, but they make sure it's programmed only to work with IE. Goes way back to the Netscape battles of the mid-90s. Even a simple 1-page website made with FrontPage with just text, no pictures, ends up being 15k in size with all this extra code to make sure it doesn't work with anything but IE.

Personally, I think anyone who's seriously into web-design should code HTML by hand in a word-processor anyway.
Old 11-01-05, 01:45 PM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you have received some constructive criticism for your site. Reintroduce it when you get the kinks worked out. Also, make sure your facts are actually facts and not opinions. Please DO NOT try to make comparisons between Shimano and Campy as to which is better, ok?

Last thing, if you are unsure about something post it in BikeFourms first. We are not at all afraid of voicing our opinions, comments, or corrections. Personally, I'd leave out "everything you need to know about cycling...and more", that's just begging us to point out the errors.lol
Old 11-01-05, 02:52 PM
LTH2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like i said before i realize its not perfect and am going to work on it. Also, i tweaked the main page and would like to know if it is wroking now for those not using internet explorer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.