Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Peloton husband buys his real-life girlfriend one of the bikes for Christmas

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-26-19, 01:00 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

'Here's hoping this goes over better the second time': Peloton husband buys his real-life girlfriend one of the bikes for Christmas despite backlash against 'sexist' holiday commercial

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-backlash.html
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 12-26-19, 01:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Oh boy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-26-19, 01:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81

'Here's hoping this goes over better the second time': Peloton husband buys his real-life girlfriend one of the bikes for Christmas despite backlash against 'sexist' holiday commercial

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-backlash.html
Peloton "bike" is NOT a bicycle. No bicycling content, general; or otherwise. "Discussions" about their advertising campaigns are just exercises in wokeness,
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 12-26-19, 01:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Actor does thing for publicity, film at 11.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 01:38 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Good for him for not buying into the manufactured hysterics. Good for her for receiving a nice Christmas present. Let’s hope everyone gets back to minding their own business.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 12-26-19, 01:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Peloton "bike" is NOT a bicycle. No bicycling content, general; or otherwise. "Discussions" about their advertising campaigns are just exercises in wokeness,

Or an excuse to post a cheesecake photo of "his real girlfriend".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 01:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Good for him for not buying into the manufactured hysterics. Good for her for receiving a nice Christmas present. Let’s hope everyone gets back to minding their own business.

-Kedosto

Good for him for tipping off a reporter or three that he was buying this and setting up a photo shoot for him and his girlfriend. "Their business" is about right.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 02:06 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Good for him for tipping off a reporter or three that he was buying this and setting up a photo shoot for him and his girlfriend. "Their business" is about right.
Touché. You’ve pretty much nailed it.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 12-26-19, 02:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
actor does thing for publicity for himself and his girlfriend, film at 11.
fify :d
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-26-19, 02:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
actor does thing for publicity for himself and his girlfriend, film at 11.fify :d

Apparently, she likes the "bike" so much, she needs to suck her thumb.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 03:19 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I don't get the backlash about the original ad. Does no one understand the difference between thinness and fitness?

This? He's (trying to be) an actor; publicity is good. I hope he's at least a decent teacher.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-26-19, 03:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Korina
I don't get the backlash about the original ad. Does no one understand the difference between thinness and fitness?

This? He's (trying to be) an actor; publicity is good. I hope he's at least a decent teacher.

There was already a closed thread about the original ad. Let's not relitigate it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-26-19, 04:24 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 602 Posts
Knew a fellow in law school (decades ago now) -- well-off brat, son of a judge -- who made his wife weigh herself every morning and evening. Consequences would ensue were she to exceed a prescribed weight-limit.

Creepy. Very creepy. Horrible little man.

Last edited by StanSeven; 12-26-19 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-26-19, 05:41 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Srsly?

Knew a fellow in law school (decades ago now) -- well-off brat, son of a judge -- who made his wife weigh herself every morning and evening. Consequences would ensue were she to exceed a prescribed weight-limit.

Creepy. Very creepy. Horrible little man.
Everybody who watches this ad seems to jump to conclusions and assume that the only reason why the husband gave his wife an exercise bike was because he thinks that she is too fat and needs to loose weight... How do we really know that ??...Can anybody actually prove that ??....For all we know his wife may be into fitness and was gives just exactly what she desired or maybe she is into cycling and was given the Peloton for the purpose of enhancing her training. Whatever goes on between husbands and wives in their home and their life is their own business. The news media is based on lies and is notorious for blowing things out of proportion and not telling the other side of the story, it's how they make money.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-26-19, 06:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina

Exactly.

I'd bet every pop culture media writer who twisted this into some sort of sexist weight-shaming fantasy has never exercised or enjoyed it.

If they don't grok the sensation we enjoy from peak personal fitness, nothing anyone says will make any sense to them.

When I first saw that Peloton ad I'll admit to having mixed reactions. But it had nothing to do with the woman's weight or shape. Her conflicted expressions, knitted brows and uncertainty conveyed more anxiety than fitness issues. And almost every cycling friend I have locally who happens to be a woman got into it primarily for the morale boost, relief from daily stresses and anxieties. I haven't met anyone locally who got into cycling primarily to lose weight. Many of 'em never lost any weight, but they're fitter and happier. That brain chemical rush from exercise beats pretty much any drug.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-26-19, 06:12 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Yes. The real gift here is Peloton actor in publicity stunt to try and jump start real gf’s acting/modeling career.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 12-26-19, 07:22 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Santa Baby...
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-26-19, 07:39 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
More women use exercise bikes than men. Peloton is in predominantly a female market.

What next, it's sexist to market skirts at women? Sexist to buy your wife a dress?

It's ironic that these moaners are trying to look clever, when they invariably look anything but.
Old 12-26-19, 11:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
I always hear or read about women running rather than using such equipment above.
Old 12-27-19, 01:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Everybody who watches this ad seems to jump to conclusions and assume that the only reason why the husband gave his wife an exercise bike was because he thinks that she is too fat and needs to loose weight... How do we really know that ??...Can anybody actually prove that ??....For all we know his wife may be into fitness and was gives just exactly what she desired or maybe she is into cycling and was given the Peloton for the purpose of enhancing her training. Whatever goes on between husbands and wives in their home and their life is their own business. The news media is based on lies and is notorious for blowing things out of proportion and not telling the other side of the story, it's how they make money.
Sorry, but that's a really stupid post.
His reason for giving his "wife" a Peloton was a paycheck because he was an actor in a commercial. Her acting in the commercial came off as pretty creepy. No one's lying about the ad, it was just crappy.
Old 12-27-19, 01:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by canklecat
Exactly.

I'd bet every pop culture media writer who twisted this into some sort of sexist weight-shaming fantasy has never exercised or enjoyed it.

If they don't grok the sensation we enjoy from peak personal fitness, nothing anyone says will make any sense to them.

When I first saw that Peloton ad I'll admit to having mixed reactions. But it had nothing to do with the woman's weight or shape. Her conflicted expressions, knitted brows and uncertainty conveyed more anxiety than fitness issues. And almost every cycling friend I have locally who happens to be a woman got into it primarily for the morale boost, relief from daily stresses and anxieties. I haven't met anyone locally who got into cycling primarily to lose weight. Many of 'em never lost any weight, but they're fitter and happier. That brain chemical rush from exercise beats pretty much any drug.

Don't know why we need to rerun the closed thread, but I don't get you attacking the critics here at all. You hit the nail on the head when you identify why people hated this commercial. She acts more like a terrorized cult member than she does someone working on her fitness for her own benefits. It's a really condescending portrayal of their target consumer. Frankly, the people who don't get the point of fitness would appear to me to be the people who made this ad.
Old 12-27-19, 01:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
More women use exercise bikes than men. Peloton is in predominantly a female market.

What next, it's sexist to market skirts at women? Sexist to buy your wife a dress?

It's ironic that these moaners are trying to look clever, when they invariably look anything but.
Well, you'd be the expert at doing that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-27-19, 05:23 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Im not much into social media so I didn't know there was a backlash campaign. But I always make fun of those peleton commercials. The one with the backlash, in one scene she's lying in bed just waking up at 6am not happy about working out YET her makeup is Perfect.
Another funny one is where a guy is working out on Christmas morning and the peleton instructor is shouting at him something like, What? You Think We playing up in here? His voice in itself is hilarious but but his motivational technique that early on a holiday just cracks me up.
Oh and on the subject of commercials, there's a Local Commercial that is ridiculous. The owner of the business is talking to a customer and is sitting at a sample table in a suit. All the while a woman with a british accent is talking about the companys flooring business. Hilarious.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-27-19 at 05:35 AM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 12-27-19, 08:40 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Can we all agree that all three are good looking people, maybe even considered "hot"......
Old 12-27-19, 10:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 308jerry
Can we all agree that all three are good looking people, maybe even considered "hot"......

If it will help bind up the wounds of a divided nation, yes.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.