Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 12:27 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
For those that don't know, I grew up in the Wichita Falls, TX area. Robbie might be able to relate to this. I remember when I was around 14, my younger brother and I had to build/string/repair barb wire fence around a 40 acre field in the middle of summer. Nothing but us, some post hole diggers, fencing building stuff, the sun and that blast furnace wind. No shade. It was rough.

Last edited by seypat; 01-23-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 12:40 PM
seypat

I will most likely not be able to make it this year. The son is starting college in the fall. Looking at the contenders calendars, the move in dates are around that weekend.
Old 01-23-20, 12:49 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Just looked that race up....good luck to you boys. That is not appealing to this northerner.

Let me know if you ever do the Harpoon to Harpoon ride. That one comes within 1.5mi of my house. I'd stand on the side of the road and lie to you that there are no more hills.
Old 01-23-20, 01:03 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Will there be 3 generations there, or is your daughter more sane? Wonder how we can
get more....
My daughter will likely ride some distance but after doing 100 in 2018 with the brutal south wind she said she won't do it again. She also had 5 kids so she forgets pain after a while so who knows what she will do. My sister in law says she is coming and will be on her Miami Vice.
Old 01-23-20, 01:05 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Originally Posted by madpogue
Yeah, nice enough on an entry-mid-level MTB, but on an IM?

Still have any bits of it?
I have the brake calipers and I think the crank. The rest of it was used on other projects.
Old 01-23-20, 01:16 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Just looked that race up....good luck to you boys. That is not appealing to this northerner.

Let me know if you ever do the Harpoon to Harpoon ride. That one comes within 1.5mi of my house. I'd stand on the side of the road and lie to you that there are no more hills.
Its usually hot as the name implies but 2017 & 2019 it was barely over 80 when we finished. It has great support and no one had died in the last few years. If you have ever used a camel back its said it was invented for this ride. A doctor adapted a IV bag for it and a whole industry was born. I have rode it 6 times but only did the century 3 of them. The best distance is really the 100K or the 75 which go through the base. You get to high 5 a line of airmen who cheer you on and see a static display of the jets stationed at Shepard AFB. The flyover and cannon at the start are pretty cool too.
Old 01-26-20, 12:19 AM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by seypat
Sweet! I still have the white Superbe chainrings on my red/white one.
Is that brown saddle original? My MV has one and I think its going to clean up pretty good. I have a hill climbing 89 Ironman and a hotrod 88. I think I will try to get the 87 as original as I can. I think the drivetrain is original as are the wheels stem & bars. I have no pedals and I will probably ruin the seat post before I get it out. Since I have several road bikes to pick from right now I am not going to get in any hurry on this one. Or at least that's my plan
Old 01-26-20, 06:32 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by TXsailor
Is that brown saddle original? My MV has one and I think its going to clean up pretty good. I have a hill climbing 89 Ironman and a hotrod 88. I think I will try to get the 87 as original as I can. I think the drivetrain is original as are the wheels stem & bars. I have no pedals and I will probably ruin the seat post before I get it out. Since I have several road bikes to pick from right now I am not going to get in any hurry on this one. Or at least that's my plan
The bike pictured I quoted was TriBiker19s that went to Robbie. I don't know about the saddle.
Old 01-26-20, 07:48 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
My 87 came with a brown suede saddle.
Old 01-26-20, 08:46 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
If someone wants the saddle, let me know. I tried it and it didn’t work for me. Top506 might know if it was original to that bike.
Old 01-26-20, 10:23 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
The brown suede vetta saddle you have on your MV is original. However it originally came with a white saddle cover.
Yes all your components are original including the tires.
BTW , I know this because I have a pic of your MV from CList.
Fwiw, the 105 components are some of the most durable and reliable ever offered by Shimano....even if a bit on the heavy side.
Like you, I've kept my MV mostly stock sans the aerobars and 7 speed gripshift but an easy enough swap if I ever choose to do that.
Lastly, reportedly that 105 derailleur can shift up to 9 or 10 speeds with a 30 tooth cog.
Old 01-26-20, 10:50 AM
texaspandj

Tx sailors 56cm MV. All 1987 Ironman Experts came with this saddle. They are very similar to the selle italia Turbo in most respects. The 1987 Masters came with the Turbo saddle.
Old 01-26-20, 01:07 PM
TXsailor

Originally Posted by texaspandj

Tx sailors 56cm MV. All 1987 Ironman Experts came with this saddle. They are very similar to the selle italia Turbo in most respects. The 1987 Masters came with the Turbo saddle.
Yep that's it! The seller told me the seat post was free but I checked it when I picked it up and it wasn't. I haven't talked to him (he left the bikes on the porch and went to bed, he works a worse shift than I do) I knew it was stuck but took it anyway so its on me. He also thought it was aluminum so I wasn't too surprised about the post. I'll get it out but probably not real soon. I have a lot going on getting ready to retire. Right now its upside down in the garage with a bunch of PB Blaster that I sprayed in the bottle cage hole that might make getting it out a little easier. In the meantime I got a KOM yesterday on my Purple Haze, partly due to a 20 mph tailwind. Is that cheating?
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 01-26-20, 03:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...I got a KOM yesterday on my Purple Haze, partly due to a 20 mph tailwind. Is that cheating?
Almost every KOM and top ten here is tailwind assisted, even by some of the strongest riders. I checked the weather archives to confirm that. One of the few top tens by a local woman pro was actually into a headwind, but she's strong, slender (presumably very aero), and was at the top of her game that year. If Strava factored in tailwinds/headwinds, she'd hold not only the QOMs but many KOMs.

All of my single-direction PRs are tailwind assisted. Some of those were from 2017, my first year on my '89 Ironman, when I was still riding platform pedals. I got my first clipless from texaspandj around January 2018, I think, a pair of classic Look deltas suitable for that bike. Those have helped even out my herky-jerky pedaling style, mostly for more efficient climbing. But I still tend to stomp the pedals instead of spinning smoothly.

In the few exceptions where weather archives showed little or no tailwind assist, I discovered the other top tenners were small groups working a tight paceline, or a couple of really strong guys working together.

My top tens are all solo, so while I'm old and slow, I'll take that tailwind assist. And some of my top tens were sprinkled among some of the strongest local riders, men and women.

But as my favorite rural training routes become more popular, I'm gradually dropping off the top ten lists. I had a 2nd place on a favorite 6 mile TT route a couple of years ago, but I think I've been nudged down a few spots. Ditto a former 3rd spot on a 1.2 mile climb -- I may be down to 8th or 9th now.

And I'm not getting faster and stronger with age. So I check the prevailing wind for every decent day and go hunting if my legs and lungs cooperate. It's just a game but it motivates me to get outside.
Old 01-26-20, 04:24 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat
Almost every KOM and top ten here is tailwind assisted, even by some of the strongest riders. I checked the weather archives to confirm that. One of the few top tens by a local woman pro was actually into a headwind, but she's strong, slender (presumably very aero), and was at the top of her game that year. If Strava factored in tailwinds/headwinds, she'd hold not only the QOMs but many KOMs.

All of my single-direction PRs are tailwind assisted. Some of those were from 2017, my first year on my '89 Ironman, when I was still riding platform pedals. I got my first clipless from texaspandj around January 2018, I think, a pair of classic Look deltas suitable for that bike. Those have helped even out my herky-jerky pedaling style, mostly for more efficient climbing. But I still tend to stomp the pedals instead of spinning smoothly.

In the few exceptions where weather archives showed little or no tailwind assist, I discovered the other top tenners were small groups working a tight paceline, or a couple of really strong guys working together.

My top tens are all solo, so while I'm old and slow, I'll take that tailwind assist. And some of my top tens were sprinkled among some of the strongest local riders, men and women.

But as my favorite rural training routes become more popular, I'm gradually dropping off the top ten lists. I had a 2nd place on a favorite 6 mile TT route a couple of years ago, but I think I've been nudged down a few spots. Ditto a former 3rd spot on a 1.2 mile climb -- I may be down to 8th or 9th now.

And I'm not getting faster and stronger with age. So I check the prevailing wind for every decent day and go hunting if my legs and lungs cooperate. It's just a game but it motivates me to get outside.
Motivation is right. Or lack of is more to the point for me lately. In fact, I finally rode yesterday with my riding buddy. It was 26 miles on my regular route. That's after 3 weeks of NO riding. Felt surprisingly good. One thing I noticed is they're starting to build in places they hadn't before. So eventually we may have to retire that route.
I've been working out but it's drills, hitting bag, and sparring....and stretching. I just recently started lifting weights after class for about 10 to 15 minutes with free weights but haven't been to the weight gym in a while.
I'm sitting back taking it easy and waiting for consistent warm sunny days before I get back in the saddle for real.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 01-26-20, 08:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Motivation is right. Or lack of is more to the point for me lately. In fact, I finally rode yesterday with my riding buddy. It was 26 miles on my regular route. That's after 3 weeks of NO riding. Felt surprisingly good. One thing I noticed is they're starting to build in places they hadn't before. So eventually we may have to retire that route.
I've been working out but it's drills, hitting bag, and sparring....and stretching. I just recently started lifting weights after class for about 10 to 15 minutes with free weights but haven't been to the weight gym in a while.
I'm sitting back taking it easy and waiting for consistent warm sunny days before I get back in the saddle for real.
It all counts. I'd like to find a nearby boxing/martial arts gym to work out. I don't plan to spar again, but I always enjoyed the boxing workout routine best. Good for range of motion, coordination, etc. I really have to force myself to do my physical therapy at home and I've gradually slipped back from 3-4 times a week to twice a week to once a week for anything other than stretching.

Come to think of it, former bantamweight champ Paulie Ayala has a gym about a mile from where I live. I should check to see how much they charge. I stopped there to visit about a year ago and he has a low-impact, no-contact fitness session for mostly older folks with Parkinson's and similar challenges that affect coordination and flexibility. Good to see that sort of thing, especially for folks who were active in their youth and get bored with most physical therapy routines.

Yeah, I know what you mean about favorite routes. I've had to modify mine over the past couple of years as new housing developments increase traffic on formerly deserted rural highways. Now I'm more careful about the day, time of day, etc., when I ride those routes. I won't ride into the sun, early or late in the day. I want the sun at my back so drivers behind can see me better.

Old 01-27-20, 01:45 AM
TXsailor

The brown suede vetta saddle you have on your MV is original. However it originally came with a white saddle cover.
Yes all your components are original including the tires.
BTW , I know this because I have a pic of your MV from CList.
Fwiw, the 105 components are some of the most durable and reliable ever offered by Shimano....even if a bit on the heavy side.
Like you, I've kept my MV mostly stock sans the aerobars and 7 speed gripshift but an easy enough swap if I ever choose to do that.
Lastly, reportedly that 105 derailleur can shift up to 9 or 10 speeds with a 30 tooth cog.
I guess even a worn out cover that I could get my wife to make a pattern from is as scarce as hens teeth? I also wonder if anyone has figured out a way to put the lettering back on the crank arms?
Old 01-27-20, 06:30 AM
texaspandj

I guess even a worn out cover that I could get my wife to make a pattern from is as scarce as hens teeth? I also wonder if anyone has figured out a way to put the lettering back on the crank arms?
Actually, (if I recall correctly) someone had one. You'll have to check up to a year back on this thread. Could've been Seypat or someone telling Seypat they had one.
Old 01-27-20, 07:17 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Well, registered for Hotter'n'Hell Hundred.
One Ironman in.
PlusTX Sailor's delegation.
Probably closest I'll get to that area for quite some time.
54cm '88 Expert, build under way.
Old 01-27-20, 08:41 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Well, registered for Hotter'n'Hell Hundred.
One Ironman in.
PlusTX Sailor's delegation.
Probably closest I'll get to that area for quite some time.
54cm '88 Expert, build under way.
It's a little far out of your way, but this place is an institution in the area if you like catfish. Nothing fancy, just good fish. Maybe txsailor has eaten there and can give a recommendation also.

Bill's Fish House Est. 1962
Old 01-27-20, 08:53 AM
seypat

Actually, (if I recall correctly) someone had one. You'll have to check up to a year back on this thread. Could've been Seypat or someone telling Seypat they had one.
You had one that you sent to me. I put it on a light blue French bike. It looked good, but the Italians and the French hate each other. I have black tape/rims on the MV with a matching black Vetta Centurion Anatomic saddle. What does this mean? I believe the brown suede Vetta will be headed to txsailor's home. Txsailor, I have your address. Is it still the same?
Old 01-27-20, 09:31 AM
TXsailor

You had one that you sent to me. I put it on a light blue French bike. It looked good, but the Italians and the French hate each other. I have black tape/rims on the MV with a matching black Vetta Centurion Anatomic saddle. What does this mean? I believe the brown suede Vetta will be headed to txsailor's home. Txsailor, I have your address. Is it still the same?
Same address since 1983 (actually we have owned the house since 73 but rented it out and moved to the panhandle in 78. We have two favorite catfish places but neither is close to Wichita Falls. Doug's Peach Orchard is in Terrell Oklahoma and we usually get calf fries there but the fish is good too. The best fish is at the Greenwood Grocery in Greenwood. Neither place is what the name implies. We have ate at Bills years ago. We can check it out again
Old 01-27-20, 10:03 AM
seypat

Same address since 1983 (actually we have owned the house since 73 but rented it out and moved to the panhandle in 78. We have two favorite catfish places but neither is close to Wichita Falls. Doug's Peach Orchard is in Terrell Oklahoma and we usually get calf fries there but the fish is good too. The best fish is at the Greenwood Grocery in Greenwood. Neither place is what the name implies. We have ate at Bills years ago. We can check it out again
I've eaten at the Peach Orchard. Does it have a private airport next to it where the people fly in and eat at that place? The place next to the airport might be in Marietta, OK. The best chicken fried steak I had was at some middle of nowhere, mom/pop joint somewhere over in the Saint Jo/Montague/Muenster/Forestburg area. This red barn diner/convenience store place. I can't remember the name. I went to grade school with the boy/man(and his wife) whose family owned the McBride chain of restaurants. His wife lived a street over from mine in the neighborhood. They had to give it up to keep someone from going to jail because of shady accounting practices. If you and Robbie meet up, make sure he gets some good calf fries to eat.

Last edited by seypat; 01-27-20 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 11:56 AM
TXsailor

I've eaten at the Peach Orchard. Does it have a private airport next to it where the people fly in and eat at that place? The place next to the airport might be in Marietta, OK. The best chicken fried steak I had was at some middle of nowhere, mom/pop joint somewhere over in the Saint Jo/Montague/Muenster/Forestburg area. This red barn diner/convenience store place. I can't remember the name. I went to grade school with the boy/man(and his wife) whose family owned the McBride chain of restaurants. His wife lived a street over from mind in the neighborhood. They had to give it up to keep someone from going to jail because of shady accounting practices. If you and Robbie meet up, make sure he gets some good calf fries to eat.
I think the fly in place is the one in Marietta, there isn't a runway at Doug's. I can't picture the place where you had the good chicken fry maybe its not there anymore. We will make sure we connect with Robbie!
Old 01-27-20, 05:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Hotter....

Fork delivered to paint shop, with the original , and I asked "make this carbon one look like this steel one?"

"No problem."

Innicycle headset/steerer arrived.
6700 group is here, both long and short RDs.
Bottle cages here.
Wheels here. Tires here.
Saddle coming.
CF post, stem, bars here.
May wait on a Zipp crankset to arrive, as I am fairly sure it's a compact, and I'd go 52/36 on it. Will require an Isis BB, but I have one, Omni Racer Ti.

TXSailor will like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.