Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Riding in Downtown San Diego

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 02-03-20, 07:11 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts

I'm going to be spending a few days in San Diego at the Marriott Marina in March. Does anyone know if there is any riding (1-1.5 hr max training/interval rides) from down there that would make it worth taking a bike vs. just getting on a gym bike for a few days and spinning my legs?
Old 02-03-20, 08:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Tmonk lives there and can provide more details.

And that's a nice hotel. I spent a week there about a year and a half ago.
Old 02-03-20, 10:14 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
I avoid riding in the city of San Diego - traffic, rough roads, debris and lots of traffic lights. From your hotel, you can ride south and then east and get on the east side of Highway 5 and ride frontage roads / bike paths until you get south of the bay and connect with the strand. Going north on the strand takes you to Coronado Island where you can take a ferry back to SD. However, that is not a 1 to 1.5 hour interval ride. Theoretically, one could ride south and get out of the downtown area and get in some harder efforts and then ride back to the hotel. I would not consider the terrain, paths, obstacles and etc. good for interval work.

The preferred option would be to have a car that you can put the bike in, drive to Fiesta Island (about 15 minutes) and do the intervals on the island and then drive back.

And everyone has a different idea on what is acceptable for riding intervals and etc. Maybe TMonk will have some other ideas.
Old 02-04-20, 08:58 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,568 Posts
I'd second Hermes ' sentiment. The riding from downtown itself is pretty poor, it will take you a while to get to open roads. I find going north to be much more scenic and you have access to Fiesta Island and Mt. Soledad which are great for interval work, but it will take you ~20 min of riding (prob 25 elapsed b/c of intersections) just to get up there. If you can increase your ride time a bit I think it would be worth it, otherwise I'd stick to the hotel bike.
Old 02-04-20, 10:47 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Thanks all. I'll be there for a conference and my time will be limited, so it looks like gym bike for me.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 02-06-20, 09:02 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
I always like to get out and ride in areas I visit, especially beautiful spots like SD.
I recommend renting a bike, take ferry to Coronado Island (close to hotel) and riding the Silver Strand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Strand_(San_Diego)
Nice 7+ miles you can ride at speed to Imperial Beach area and then return.
Do a few intervals, I found it pretty fun and look forward to riding it again.
For hill training, you really want a car to drive up the coast, Mt. Soledad would be fun.
A few other challenges ...

San Diego's Toughest Road Climbs

https://smorgcycle.blogspot.com/2014...bs-little.html

Last edited by joesch; 02-06-20 at 09:06 AM.
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-06-20, 10:21 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Soledad and fiesta were awesome last year. Highly recomend