Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frayed cable caused entire shifter failure?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Frayed cable caused entire shifter failure?

Old 02-19-20, 08:35 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
If you have trouble getting a small strand of wire out, hang the bike upside and wiggle the lever a little.
Old 02-21-20, 07:57 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jmess
I have had two RD cable fray issues with Shimano 9000 and 6800. Both times I was able to fish the cable ends out of the shifter. One cable broke and another I had to cut. In both case I had to remove the shifter and spend a lot of time with some dental type pic tools to get the cable end out. I have started to put silicon grease in the track inside the shifter that the cable runs through in an attempt to reduce the friction on the cable. Time will tell if this really makes any difference.
6800 Has part you remove to fish the broken piece out just it myself about 2 weeks go. Was easy and other versions of Shimano you just have to work very gently and easy most of the time you can get the head of the cable out. There is a way to drill a hole in the shifter to but have not had to do that ever.
Old 02-22-20, 05:02 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I am a little late to the thread, but it does get my goat.

I am one of "those" guys who frequently breaks my RD shifter cable. I have been running Ultegra 6700 since it came out 10 years ago. I would estimate that I break a cable every 2000 miles, which is every 3 months based on my riding.

I have learned to notice the first signs of cable fraying, which is the RD getting finicky going to the smallest few cogs. I try to finish up the ride before cable breaks (which sucks when it happens as you are stuck in your smallest cog in back for the rest of the ride. My poor knees!) and change cable.

I do suspect it's mainly a design flaw with tight turns inside the shifter as previously posted, but also clearly going to be a bigger problem with people who shift more.

Every time I have another cable frayed, I curse the system and think it's time to move up/on to electronic shifting. But will stick with it for now. I had heard that the newer generation 11sp shifters are not quite as prone to fraying, but I suspect that may not be true.

I am glad the OP got his problem fixed and would remind him to watch for tell-tale signs of shifter cable starting to fray.
Old 02-22-20, 06:33 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I have learned to notice the first signs of cable fraying, which is the RD getting finicky going to the smallest few cogs. I try to finish up the ride before cable breaks (which sucks when it happens as you are stuck in your smallest cog in back for the rest of the ride. My poor knees!) and change cable..
Tie off the bare inner cable to a bottle cage in the gear you prefer.