Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Advice on Smart Trainer Compatable Base Program?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 01:43 PM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Best Training Peaks/Smart Trainer Base Program

It's that time of year... Do any of you have recommendations for a base training program that is compatible with a smart trainer (Wahoo) and requires no more than 8-10 hours/week on the bike? A program that incorporates weight training would be ideal. I see some base-specific offerings on Training Peaks, but am curious if any of you have tried them. I'm also intrigued by the advance base training program by Tailwind Coaching. Ideally, I'd like a program that incorporates weight training --- I know what to do in the gym, but knowing the best days to fit it into my cycling program is the challenge.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-19, 02:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't have anything useful to say on the Wahoo side, but since you're also asking about weight training, here's a good beginner program that's well balanced and won't take up too much of your time. (Also, it's free.)

https://stronglifts.com/
Old 10-17-19, 04:53 PM
goose70

Thanks. Interesting concept. I may just try that. I've been weight training for a long time, but my real knowledge remains limited. As it relates to cycling, my rough understanding is that heavier and fewer reps is a better compliment to cycling than lighter and more reps, since if you're doing the latter, then you're mostly just working the way cycling works your muscles, anyway, rather than improving on your muscular force potential. Of course, you also don't want to add too much muscle weight, but given my build, calorie burn and the relative time I have to spend in the gym, bulking up is not a big danger.
Old 10-18-19, 12:51 PM
goose70

I posted this in the training forum, but think it might be suited here, too. Do any of you have recommendations for a base training program that is compatible with a smart trainer (Wahoo) and requires no more than 8-10 hours/week on the bike? A program that incorporates weight training would be ideal. I see some base-specific offerings on Training Peaks, but am curious if any of you have tried them. I'm also intrigued by the advance base training program by Tailwind Coaching. Ideally, I'd like a program that incorporates weight training --- I know what to do in the gym, but knowing the optimal days to fit it into my cycling program is the challenge.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-19, 01:23 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm in the middle of a canned base program on TP right now. It's called "Get Lean Now" by Hunter Allen. I don't know how it works with a smart trainer, but I notice that it uploads each day's workout to Zwift if you have those programs linked up. It averages 9 hours a week, and I believe the longest week is 13 hours. It has rest days built in, but nothing about weight training.

It's fine. Nothing spectacular. The main thing for me is that I have a workout scheduled everyday and I just do it as well as I can. If you do it consistently, you'll see your CTL rise steadily.
Old 10-18-19, 01:56 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
trainerroad sweet spot base, they have low/mid/high volume. I follow the high volume (10-12hrs per week). Last year my FTP went from 275-295 in 12 weeks. It's a lot of bang for the buck. I'm at 285w FTP right now and mixing in some sweet spot work with some other training stuff during CX season but I hope to hit the program in earnest again starting in December.
Old 10-18-19, 02:15 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
@goose70 You may not have duplicate threads running in different forums. Which forum do you want? I will close the other one and merge the threads.

In general, posters here train to race whereas in the training and nutrition forum, many posters train for the sake of training or train for events such as charity rides. A better way to frame this topic may be state a goal and then ask about a particular protocol to achieve that goal and what experience others may have.

Keep in mind that merging threads is a pain in the ass for moderators since we have to read all the posts and make sure that there are no duplicates in the merged threads.

To answer your question specifically, I do not use a smart trainer and I use a periodized program where this time of year is about strength and adaptation. So the emphasis is on strength training and adaptation on the bike.

When I started racing in 2007, I used a coach that had a cycling gym. I would show up for a workout twice per week in a circuit that featured 10 sets of 10 reps working the pedal stroke muscles and then jump on the bike on a trainer and do low cadence intervals. I was shot at the end of the workout and my legs were fatigued to the point where I was very slow on the road. The coach did not care about road performance. Over time, I increased the 10 sets of 10 to 10 sets of 15. We did about 2 months of that and then went into the mountains for climbing work. That was followed by speed work and motor pacing and then racing. So there is a protocol mixing strength training and cycling to support an early season racing schedule.
Old 10-18-19, 02:27 PM
goose70

Thanks, Hermes. I think this forum is getting a better discussion going, so please close the Training forum thread.

And yes, this training Q pertains to road racing.
Old 10-18-19, 04:52 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Merged threads.
Old 10-18-19, 09:49 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Second on TrainerRoad. Teammate used it for last couple of years with good results.
Old 10-20-19, 09:04 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Trainerroad. Pick the sweet spot plan you have time for.
Old 10-24-19, 08:51 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Sufferfest has what you're looking for.
Bike plans for just about everything you can think of, AND strength plans that are modeled around and fit together with the bike plan.
There's also yoga and mental plans if you want.
Old 10-26-19, 07:27 AM
BK84

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
TrainerRoad. I have seen good results with all of their plans that I have done.
Old 10-27-19, 04:05 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
It's that time of year... Do any of you have recommendations for a base training program that is compatible with a smart trainer (Wahoo) and requires no more than 8-10 hours/week on the bike? A program that incorporates weight training would be ideal. I see some base-specific offerings on Training Peaks, but am curious if any of you have tried them. I'm also intrigued by the advance base training program by Tailwind Coaching. Ideally, I'd like a program that incorporates weight training --- I know what to do in the gym, but knowing the best days to fit it into my cycling program is the challenge.

Thanks.
Good place to start is below. A book. Arnie has extensive trainer workouts.

Smart Cycling: Successful Training and Racing for Riders of All Levels Paperback – March 26, 1997

by Arnie Baker (Author)