Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What else do you bring along?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What else do you bring along?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 07:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2623 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 1,229 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
So sorry for this but as a former classicist I can't keep from this minor objection. The Iliad and the Odyssey are not really meant to be read. Better read than ignored, but they are meant to be whispered and shouted by a storyteller to an audience that is drinking, feasting, and shouting the lines back at the performer like a stadium singing back a refrain under the command of a rock musician. The repetitive lines, character tropes, and battle scenes make a lot more sense if one thinks of it as a hybrid of a universally known earworm pop song and a Marvel movie.
I'm imagining a semester-long performative course to get through either one. 7-10:00 Tuesday nights at a campus watering hole. Hmm, do these need to be graduate level courses so everyone can drink legally?
Old 04-23-24, 08:43 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm imagining a semester-long performative course to get through either one. 7-10:00 Tuesday nights at a campus watering hole. Hmm, do these need to be graduate level courses so everyone can drink legally?
Umm I've never seen that. IME the overlap of Classics majors and theater kids is small. Classics kids would rather ponder the derivation of the name "Odysseus" and the innovation of the antihero protagonist than ever perform anything in front of anybody anywhere.

EDIT: But oh, the parties

Last edited by ericoseveins; 04-23-24 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 07:06 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts

Sangean DT-200X
I have gone though 3 of these radios in the last 10 years. (Lost one, broke one, & my present one.)
I clip on my belt in back and run the wired ear buds up to my ear and away we go.
Old 04-24-24, 07:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1685 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by ericoseveins
The Iliad and the Odyssey are not really meant to be read. Better read than ignored, but they are meant to be whispered and shouted by a storyteller to an audience that is drinking, feasting, and shouting the lines back at the performer like a stadium singing back a refrain under the command of a rock musician.
An audience-interactive Lysistrata might be interesting.