Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How many times have you not been able to complete commute due to technical problem.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How many times have you not been able to complete commute due to technical problem.

Old 10-11-11, 09:45 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
So far never. Several years ago when I lived in another state I wiped out on my road bike after getting caught in a snow storm. Totally disabled my bike but luckily it happened on the street I lived on so I was able to gather up the scraps and walk home. Had my front derailer clamp break once too but I was only about a mile from work and was able to walk the rest of the way. Im sure it will happen sooner or later but so far my multi tool and patch kit have seen me through.
Old 10-11-11, 09:58 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Came close a couple of months ago when I snapped the chain on my commuter bike, I did not have a chain breaker or spare link, and since I was not able to contact anybody to get a ride, so I HTFU and walked the bike home with over 70 lbs of cargo on board.

I now have a multi tool that has a chain breaker, and I now carry a spare chain link was well.

Old 10-11-11, 10:12 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Oh I forgot about the time my chain snapped. Just had to walk that time. Didn't have a phone.
Old 10-11-11, 10:23 PM
coldfeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 times in 20 years, 2 were social rides, not commuting, the first time I snapped a chain, and no-one in a group of about a dozen had a chain tool. Second was when I snapped the axle on a cheap department store bike. Third, and the only actual commute failure, the bike had been stored overnight in the unheated garage , and when i tried to ride to work the following morning, ( -25C ) I found the freehub had frozen out ( no drive ) Of course, I didn't find that out till the bottom of the hill, had to push back up and take the Bus.
Old 10-11-11, 10:28 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Twice in 27 years I didn't make it to work, both times were body injuries not bike failures, every other time I have had a problem I throw my bike up on my shoulder and some good samaritan stops to gives me a ride. That has probably occured 3-4 times in 22 years. But I carry tools, tubes, and have built bikes since I was 10 years old......

Last edited by Stealthammer; 10-12-11 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 10:36 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 4,000 miles, just one call for help.

About two months ago I shredded into the sidewall of my back tire after running over a pile of sharp metal in the bike lane (heard it but never saw), which also took out the tube. I inspected the damage, replaced the tube anyway and decided to try and ride on it. Nope. Two minutes later, the tube gave out and I was walking again.
Old 10-11-11, 10:41 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
There was this one time at band camp... oh wait... wrong thread.

I have had minor issues over the past 50-60,000 km and very few of these issues included flats... and they were all things I could address on the spot and keep rolling save for one incident where the lock washer on my Sturmey Archer AG's non drive side (these have two of them) sheared and caused the wheel to lock up.

Ended up walking a few miles back the shop and had to fabricate a new lock washer as there were no spares at hand... and had no-one to call anyways.
Old 10-12-11, 05:49 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Never, if walking your bike counts. I once had two flats on the same commute and didn't have enough CO2 to fix the second flat, so had to walk the remaining 3.5 miles home in my bike shoes. I won't make that mistake again and now carry a frame pump in addition to CO2. I keep my bikes pretty well maintained, so it would be very unusual to have a mechanical problem enroute. I also have several bikes that I use for commuting, so I can always grab another one if the bike I plan to ride has a flat when I get ready to leave in the morning.

Keeping your bikes cleaned, lubed and maintained is important if you commute or ride regularly. I have often spotted problems waiting to happen while cleaning my bikes. Eg, I found that the rear rim on of my bikes had several nasty cracks while cleaning the wheels a few weeks ago. The cracks must have recently developed because that is my main bike for long rides and I take care of it. Keeping your chains clean and lubed should prevent breakages and lot of annoying squeaks.
Old 10-12-11, 06:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
In about 20 years of a 14 mile, sometimes greater commute, my most irremedial technical problem was when my pedal broke off along the spindle. It had felt wobbly for a few preceding miles. I was able to coveniently call for a cab, and as a silver lining to the episode, we drove the approximately 10 miles to work through a drenching thunderstorm.
Old 10-12-11, 08:20 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My rear derailleur hanger broke off once, but I was within a half mile of home so I pushed the bike home.

Another time on a very cold morning my pawls froze when I was about half way to work. I was albe to get them engaged again and as long as I kept pedalling I was fine, so I made it that morning.

Now I ride fg, so neither of those problems will ever happen again.

So I guess the answer is no, I've never not been able to complete a commute. But I'm just a chain break away...
Old 10-12-11, 10:01 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I had a longer commute: several times.
Broken chain, no tool with me, still near home on the way into work, turned around and walked home
Badly damaged tire miles from home. Possibly could have booted it, but didn't bother, called for a ride

My shorter commute now, I can walk if I need to, or pick up a bus (they have bike racks).
I've had:
Broken chain, but I was carrying an entire new chain (by chance, I had bought it the day before and it was in my pannier- I also carry a chain tool now)
Loose crank-arm - tighten with stupid little multi-tool multiple times until I got home and got out the bigger tools.

I haven't yet broken a frame. Most of my bikes are steel, so hopefully I'll spot a crack long before something fails.
Old 10-12-11, 10:34 AM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to answer never yesterday, but...I was riding home yesterday, about 1 mile into my 5 mile commute when my rear derailleur decided to self-destruct, ripping itself off the mount. I have no clue how it happened. So I go to remove it and convert to single speed (I carry a spare link and chain tool(, and find that my chain is bent. I don't know which is chicken and which is egg. In short, I ended up doing a mixture of "giant scooter" and walk/jog home.

Honestly, there is almost nothing that could happen to my bike that would force me to call for help unless I was also injured. Walking home won't kill me, it will just cost me 3-4 times the time of biking. I'm sure I would feel otherwise if my commute was 20 miles each way rather than 5.
Old 10-12-11, 11:45 AM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I rode 7 miles home once with both my seatstays sheared off, so I reckon I've got you all beaten! I'm not sure I didn't ride out that way as well, I'd spread the rear triangle on the frame to fit a new rear wheel the previous night, and I reckon that may have broken off the brazed joints. The frame was my Raleigh Trent Sports, and the seatlug had two protrusions on the sides that held the stays in place well enough that I didn't notice anything until I hit a pothole and there was a weird grinding noise. I thought it was the saddle clamp at the time, but then I checked it when I got home, and I got pretty damn scared when I found out what it really was! I screwed up brazing them back on, so the shop technician at my school attached them rather permanently with a MIG welder. I still commute on the frame.

OK, I was riding out to meet up with a couple of friends, so technically not commuting, but I was using the bike as transport, at least. I'm also counting it as "didn't finish", because I'm lucky I got home without breaking my frame in half, if I'd been commuting, I'd have gotten a lift home.

Last edited by Airburst; 10-12-11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 12:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Forgot one incident which did not keep me from getting home but after snapping a seat post clamp I had to ride 10 km standing up... was in the kind of shape then when this was hard but not impossible to do.

I carry spare brake and shifter cables in my toolkit in the unlikely event one snaps... this happened once on my fixed gear and I just rode the rest of way brake-less and fixed my bike when I got to the shop.
Old 10-12-11, 12:42 PM
audi666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually almost did for the first time last Friday. thought rear tire was a bit low then looked down to see my frame cracked. Rode the rest of the 13mi home very cautiously

Old 10-12-11, 12:58 PM
daveF

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only once in 18 years (not all commuting, includes training where I was often 50 or 60 miles from home). That was due to a cracked weld on a Dahon folding bike at a hinge. I may have gotten away with pedaling home slowly but I called my wife. This resulted in a scene I'll always remember.

I started to leave work & noticed that the bike was sagging to one side while folded. It was pretty easy to see the crack in the weld so I called my wife & asked her if she could pick me up from a new Irish bar that just opened next to my office. I got a beer & ran into someone I used to work with who also cycles. He introduced me to several people including one woman who seemed too eager to meet me. She asked me something like "what brings you into this place". I responded that my bicycle is broken & I'm waiting for a ride. I could not have gotten her to turn her back to me faster no matter what rude comment I could have come up with. She was obviously looking for any one of the fellows who had driven up in one of the luxury cars parked outside.

Last edited by daveF; 10-12-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-12-11, 01:03 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once. I had two flats on the way to work. I usually carry patches with my tubes, but the glue was dried up.. so I rode home on the sidewalk with a flat tire (around 3 miles back) and got my car.
Old 10-12-11, 04:19 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by audi666
actually almost did for the first time last Friday. thought rear tire was a bit low then looked down to see my frame cracked. Rode the rest of the 13mi home very cautiously

OK, wow! That beats my seatstays hands down! The lugwork looks a bit like my Raleigh though, what's the frame?
Old 10-12-11, 08:39 PM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Only once had a true commute failure -- heavy rain overnight turned what had been a persistent puddle into a foot-deep sinkhole at the edge of a steel bridge abutment. The puddle had been there for years, I'd given up thinking about it. When my front wheel hit dropped into the hole and hit the square corner of the girder, my rim caved in half-way to the hub, and I went over the bars. (No damage to the frame or fork, thank goodness.) Having been commuting the same route for years, I got up, cleaned myself off, and waited a few minutes for a guy in a pickup who had been passing me about the same spot forever. Hitched a ride the rest of the way to the office, pulled a spare wheel off one of the boss's extra bikes, made it home in the evening just fine.

Had a near-failure recently when I snapped a crank, but I made it home on one pedal and one very tired leg. Fortunately I was past the hilly part of my commute.

Many years ago I broke the handlebar clamp off my stem, made it home holding the stem extension in my left hand like a tiller, and the rear brake lever and handlebars in my right hand for speed control. Slow, but faster than walking five miles.
Old 10-12-11, 08:49 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
once
chain wrapped around hub, broke off the rear drop out

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 10-12-11, 10:54 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a couple of cheapo derailleurs snap off over the past few years, that'll make you walk. I've ridden maybe 10000 miles since taking up cycling.
Old 10-13-11, 08:31 AM
f1xedgear
screw campy & shimano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 time in 20+ years of cyclocommuting.

Rim failure: a DeepV blew its sidewall. The bang itself scared the b'jesus out of me. (My fault, I knew the rim's sidewall was gettin' too thin.)

Peeled the tire and aluminum shreds and rode the rim about 8 miles before I just couldn't take it any more. Called home.
Old 10-13-11, 10:47 AM
scottsmith

Bikes: Steve Bauer Sirocco "Steve", Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 Fatbike "Black Betty", Retrospec Amok-16 "Rocinante/Veronica"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far I've only had one commute I couldn't complete. Got a flat 5 km from home (still 23km from work) and didn't have a spare. Luckily my sister was passing that way and had a bike rack on her car.

I considered abandoning the day I broke two nearly adjacent spokes in the rear wheel while still 10km from work. It was a bit warped after that but I decided to see how far I could limp along and made it to work on time anyway. I didn't think to slacken my rear brake cable so brake-rub nearly destroyed the sidewall of that tire but it wasn't quite worn through so it didn't flat. It did require replacement though.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 10-13-11, 10:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
None, knock on wood. However, after my headlight ran out of juice on the way home last night, I Fredded-up my bike with a front reflector just in case it happens again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-13-11, 10:57 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Snapped a rear axle/hub in half,caved in the wheel while touring many years ago.Walked a few miles,got a new wheel,went on my marry way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.