Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

random drafting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

random drafting

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 11:58 AM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
You need to start eating a can of beans before heading out. That will keep them back a little.
Old 11-08-11, 12:00 PM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually just say "on the left," and the person in front knows you are passing.
Hopefully...
It's amazing how many people don't know what that means. Or, they are a******s.
Old 11-08-11, 12:35 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I'm just stating the facts. Most road bikes assume they can easily drop a mountain bike, but after a minute or two of all out effort and I'm still there, they usually slow down to a more sustainable pace. Everyone gets a great workout, gets to work a minute earlier and no one is bothered by it.
My guess is that if they weren't bothered by your presence back there they wouldn't be trying to drop you. Maybe you should take the hint.
Old 11-08-11, 12:39 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
The other night I got off work late and it was already pitch black on my ride home. I made my way to the MUP, feeling tired and not overly motivated to make it home in record time, since I was saving my strength to play basketball that evening. I went around a sharp corner and caught a bike light right on top of me, but couldn't make out what kind of a bike or anything since there are no street lights along the MUP. Just kind of snuck up behind me. I thought, "I'm not going to let this guy pass me" and I took off. I never turned my head back, but I could tell he was right on my tail for the next three miles until we went in different directions. I tried to drop him but he was right behind me. I kept seeing the beam of his light cast on the ground under my bike so he must have been right on my rear. I think I made it home in record time that night. No words were exchanged.
Old 11-08-11, 12:45 PM
tjspiel

Local customs vary but I think it's rude to assume that drafting somebody is going to be OK. It can be very unnerving to someone who has no experience with pace lines.

Even though group rides and pace lines are things that I think of as fun, commuting for me is a chance to be alone with my thoughts. If someone latches on to my wheel I automatically feel some responsibility for calling out hazards and such. That's not what I want to be doing on my commute.
Old 11-08-11, 12:47 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
My guess is that if they weren't bothered by your presence back there they wouldn't be trying to drop you. Maybe you should take the hint.
Nope. It's just something to break up the routine and get in an interval or two. If the rider doesn't want me there, there are ways to make it known, which I always respect.
Old 11-08-11, 12:54 PM
tjspiel

Nope. It's just something to break up the routine and get in an interval or two. If the rider doesn't want me there, there are ways to make it known, which I always respect.
Just my opinion, but "respecting" means asking first. If you're a stronger rider, which you are implying, then just pass them. If the race is on at that point then fine. They've chosen to engage.

What you're doing is putting the burden of communicating their displeasure on them, rather than taking on the burden of communication yourself.
Old 11-08-11, 02:14 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by tjspiel
Just my opinion, but "respecting" means asking first. If you're a stronger rider, which you are implying, then just pass them. If the race is on at that point then fine. They've chosen to engage.

What you're doing is putting the burden of communicating their displeasure on them, rather than taking on the burden of communication yourself.
I am not racing anyone, just drafting. If I was stronger than the other rider, I would just pass them and go on my way. Point is, I can usually draft a roadie on my MTB, but couldn't pull or ride solo at the same speed. If they want draft me, as they sometimes do, go right ahead. I'll let them know if I don't want them there. No big deal.

Next time my route takes me through Minnesota, I'll definitely ask before drafting.
Old 11-08-11, 02:46 PM
mmm12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I typically come to a complete stop at stop signs and lights, I've almost been hit from behind when informal "drafters" don't expect me to stop at an intersection where there is no other traffic. It seems silly to draft on my commute where we have to stop every 1/4 mile. Commuter "racing" can be fun, but I get nervous about being drafted on crowded MUPs or in traffic that's unpredictable.
Old 11-08-11, 02:51 PM
elkootcho

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how close is considered "drafting", in the commuting world? How far back can I be at 20mph to still get the benefit of a pull without sitting right on top of another rider?

I'll often pace another rider because it's a little bump of motivation on my ride to or from work but avoid getting closer that a few feet.
Old 11-08-11, 02:54 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Next time my route takes me through Minnesota, I'll definitely ask before drafting.
Thank you!!!!
Old 11-08-11, 02:54 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
This comes up in here every once in a while. I'll say what I always do:

I don't want someone I don't know sitting on my wheel unannounced. I don't like it. Never have. Probably never will.

The other day I had a guy in full kit on a road bike sit on my wheel on the West Side bike path as I rolled along on my da hon folder in street clothes with a rack bag and backpack- somehow this is the height of ridiculous.
Old 11-08-11, 03:32 PM
audi666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. If your going to draft someone have the common courtesy to ask first.
Old 11-08-11, 04:15 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
Uninvited or not, it is still tailgating. And that makes it a traffic violation.
The other day I hit 40 in a 25 zone on my road bike. It took a hell of a lot of work.

The traffic violation part was funny.
Old 11-08-11, 04:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by mmm12
Since I typically come to a complete stop at stop signs and lights, I've almost been hit from behind when informal "drafters" don't expect me to stop at an intersection where there is no other traffic.
As you've learned, stopping randomly is dangerous.
Old 11-08-11, 05:04 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by elkootcho
how close is considered "drafting", in the commuting world? How far back can I be at 20mph to still get the benefit of a pull without sitting right on top of another rider?

I'll often pace another rider because it's a little bump of motivation on my ride to or from work but avoid getting closer that a few feet.
The rules in a no-draft triathlon say that you need to be 1.5 bike lengths back. In my experience you have to be closer than that to get much benefit from a draft. On group rides I try to stay within a foot or two at most.

I'd approach the question a different way. You should gauge following distance on the amount of time it would take you to stop if the bike in front of you were to slam on the brakes. We're talking about commuting after all and the emphasis should be on safety and courtesy rather than speed. Having said that, a pace line during a commute on an open road or low-traffic MUP can be fun and mutually beneficial. I just think the participants should be willing and aware that they're involved in one.

The guy doing the drafting is the guy most likely to go down in a collision but lots of bad things can happen. Early last spring I was on a group ride and there was still some ice around. Some of us had studs, others didn't. We were in a two column pace line going over a bridge. I was in the right hand column.

The guy in front of me to my left didn't get any warning about some ice he was about to go over. He panicked and squeezed his brakes before he hit it. The guy behind him (to my left) didn't want to run into the guy that grabbed his brakes so he tried to steer clear by passing him on the right. This forced me up against a concrete barrier which I bounced off. As I came off the barrier I got hit from behind while trying to maintain my balance. Of course my going down caused about two other people to go down. Nobody was hurt. After lots of finger pointing and grumbling we continued on.

Of course this kind of scenario is far less likely when you're talking about two cyclists, but throw in a pedestrian and a dog in there and there are lots of bad potential outcomes.

My point is this. All it takes for a collision while drafting is for one of the people involved to have a lapse in concentration. If the draftee doesn't know that drafter is even there or doesn't know what they're doing, it can lead to trouble.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-08-11 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 05:15 PM
fizbiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lostarchitect
You need to start eating a can of beans before heading out. That will keep them back a little.
Yeah...the extra thrust makes it hard for them to keep up.

As a fairly new commuter who has had little interaction with other cyclists, I was wondering what the general consensus is on drafting behind cars/suvs. About half of my trips take me down 2 miles of 25 MPH roads and I often hug the back of an SUV (large enclosed trailers are the best) then cruise at 30 MPH with only moderate effort. That then leads to a 35 MPH road where I get back onto the side of the road. I don't really feel like it is dangerous because I can maintain a considerable distance while remaining in the slipstream. Obviously depends on the vehicle I'm behind. Just wondering how many others do this?
Old 11-08-11, 05:32 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think I've drafted twice in the last seven years while commuting. Lack of opportunity, mostly.

Of course, not many people want to draft me in the winter, as I keep my nose clean by way of snot rockets.
Old 11-08-11, 05:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by fizbiz

As a fairly new commuter who has had little interaction with other cyclists, I was wondering what the general consensus is on drafting behind cars/suvs. About half of my trips take me down 2 miles of 25 MPH roads and I often hug the back of an SUV (large enclosed trailers are the best) then cruise at 30 MPH with only moderate effort. That then leads to a 35 MPH road where I get back onto the side of the road. I don't really feel like it is dangerous because I can maintain a considerable distance while remaining in the slipstream. Obviously depends on the vehicle I'm behind. Just wondering how many others do this?
As long as (1) you can see through their rear window and windshield, so you have some warning before they hit the brakes, (2) you know the road well enough to not be taken by surprise by potholes, (3) you have an out, eg an empty lane to escape to, and (4) the pavement is dry, then no harm, no foul. Visit the road forum and look for posts by Waterrockets.
Old 11-08-11, 08:16 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would piss me off - I feel like I have enough to deal with trying to survive the ride in without having someone on my back wheel. But, I say that having never had it happen on my commute - I go in early, my flashy lights would be obnoxious to look at, and there aren't but a couple of other commuting fools on my route.
Old 11-08-11, 08:57 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts

You can be off to the side slightly and still get the benefit.
Old 11-08-11, 09:20 PM
fizbiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
You can be off to the side slightly and still get the benefit.
True. But when traveling at the same speed as traffic I figure I might as well be in the middle of the lane. Much smoother ride. Out of curiosity, what is the fastest speed anybody here regularly drafts behind a vehicle? So far I only do it between 25 and 30mph.
Old 11-08-11, 09:29 PM
alan s 

True. But when traveling at the same speed as traffic I figure I might as well be in the middle of the lane. Much smoother ride. Out of curiosity, what is the fastest speed anybody here regularly drafts behind a vehicle? So far I only do it between 25 and 30mph.
That's usually where the dead animals and debris are. Not a good idea.
Old 11-08-11, 09:52 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
Never been comfortable enough to follow somebody that closely. Sometimes when traffic is too heavy I follow maybe 1 or 2 lengths behind waiting for a chance to pass.

Sometimes when our paces are close enough and we feel like we might push for the lead. That doesn't bother me. Usually there is a large enough difference between our paces it is obvious who is faster.
Old 11-09-11, 11:28 PM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
This comes up in here every once in a while. I'll say what I always do:

I don't want someone I don't know sitting on my wheel unannounced. I don't like it. Never have. Probably never will.

The other day I had a guy in full kit on a road bike sit on my wheel on the West Side bike path as I rolled along on my da hon folder in street clothes with a rack bag and backpack- somehow this is the height of ridiculous.
I believe I had the pleasure of this moron's company a few days ago. I'll shout over my shoulder once I notice them that it's super dangerous for them to be there and not announce themselves. One guy thanked me and apologized for not announcing–he said he was new to riding, so I welcomed him and let him keep sucking my wheel, along with giving him hand signals. Morons like the one you described I'll brake-check at the next intersection if I'm feeling spiteful...or better yet, drop the hammer on them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.