Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 02:20 PM
badbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own this bike and I did the STP last year and it never broke down or got a flat tire. It was so smooth and what a nice ride. I have 3 bikes and this bike handles like no other.
Old 05-31-17, 10:13 PM
fabe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the latest frameset with a stealthy Black on Black paint scheme and built it up with my older DA 7900 groupset (with a 6800 crankset). The build in the photo is 7.0kg with 40mm/60mm carbon tubular wheels.

With an alloy seatpost, ride is very buzzy.. which is why the ALR5 and ALR6 come with carbon seatpost.
I have since swapped out the alu post with a carbon post. and the ride improved a lot.
The front end is confidence inspiring on technical descents. Climbing is efficient.

It is indeed a good frameset from TREK. Anyway, rumour is that most of the big brand name aluminum hydrofoamed frames are product in the same factory in Taiwan according to the required required design and specifications from different brands. I didn't go for the CAAD12 as I already have 2 other steel frames with traditional horizontal toptubes. So I settled with the ALR. No regrets. it is truly an alu bike which is on par with a lot of carbon offering in ride and handling.

PS: Pardon the low quality photo... Haven't got time to shoot some nicer shots of the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TREK EmondaALR.jpg (100.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-08-17, 06:09 PM
ToiletSiphon

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thread resurrection!

For all those who posted pictures of their brand new ALR, how is it holding up after a while? Does it looks like a tough and durable frame? Just got rid of a cracked CF frame and I want something fun and inexpensive that will last me for a while!
Old 08-08-17, 11:38 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon
For all those who posted pictures of their brand new ALR, how is it holding up after a while? Does it looks like a tough and durable frame? Just got rid of a cracked CF frame and I want something fun and inexpensive that will last me for a while!
My frame looks about the same as when I got it, minus some hard-to-remove grime that I allowed to get in a few spots and a couple of small chips in the powder coat due to an embarrassing incident involving a pedal wrench.

That said, the frame also only has a couple thousand miles on it, so a failure would be pretty pathetic... hard to put much use on a frame when you're juggling seven bikes.
Good problem to have, I guess.
Old 08-10-17, 11:50 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an ALR 6 with the matte dark gray finish and the finish has proven to be surprisingly durable. I don't baby it, but haven't had a single scratch. It doesn't get all of my miles, but it has ~3500 or so. It spends time on a roof rack exposed to whatever gets tossed up by other cars and there's not a single visible scratch or ding. The Madone it replaced had its paint pretty beat up under the same conditions.

My only complaint is that it spent the winter on a CycleOps trainer and it was really tough to get back off because of the shape of the chainstay around the dropout.

The stock wheels took a pretty big rock to the brake track and bent a bit, but the wheels are pretty mediocre to begin with.
Old 08-10-17, 05:07 PM
ToiletSiphon

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
I have an ALR 6 with the matte dark gray finish and the finish has proven to be surprisingly durable. I don't baby it, but haven't had a single scratch. It doesn't get all of my miles, but it has ~3500 or so. It spends time on a roof rack exposed to whatever gets tossed up by other cars and there's not a single visible scratch or ding. The Madone it replaced had its paint pretty beat up under the same conditions.

My only complaint is that it spent the winter on a CycleOps trainer and it was really tough to get back off because of the shape of the chainstay around the dropout.

The stock wheels took a pretty big rock to the brake track and bent a bit, but the wheels are pretty mediocre to begin with.
How do you like it compared to your old Madone? Feel any difference in stiffness or comfort?
Old 08-11-17, 11:46 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you like it compared to your old Madone? Feel any difference in stiffness or comfort?
It's not the best comparison between the two bikes, my Madone was undersized (intentionally), so it was a bit twitchy and was a 3.1 and was a bit flexy in some spots. The Emonda is more or less the "correct" size for me, I wanted a bit more subdued handling because I was having trouble dealing with some post-crash jitters descending and in fast corners.

That's not to say the Emonda handles poorly, it just handles differently.

The Emonda is definitely stiffer around the bb, and with the stock wheels was probably transmitting more road noise, but not much. I've got Zipp 404s on the bike right now with 25mm tires and the lower pressure with the 25mm tires smooths out the last bit of buzz. I could watch the Madone flex at the bottom bracket. The excellent fork and seat post on the ALR5 and 6 do a great job of muting some of the stiffness.

I've got very detailed fitting information from a fitting I did with a physical therapist, so my bikes are all set up relative to those numbers and that makes comparing comfort tough. I'm probably most comfortable for my longest rides on the Emonda just because it's at kind of a sweet spot in gearing (compact, 11-28) for some of the short, steep hills around here but with some ability to get low and out of the wind.