Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

$100 saddle, Brooks or?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 11:59 AM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$100 saddle, Brooks or?

I will admit, I hate the look of the Brooks saddles. However, I keep seeing all the great reviews. I currently have a black B17 in my Amazon cart for $93ish. I am trying to decide if I should try it or if it would be better to try an SQ labs saddle in the same price range. The nice thing about the Brooks is I will have it tomorrow if I order in the next two hours. I have been trying really cheap saddles and I want to try something a bit more expensive to see if it helps. Another plus for the Brooks is I can return it if I don't like it. i would hope that 300+ miles I put on it in a month should be enough to break it in? The lack of a cutout scares me a bit, after the numbness I had with my first saddle.
Old 08-11-17, 12:10 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1
I will admit, I hate the look of the Brooks saddles. However, I keep seeing all the great reviews. I currently have a black B17 in my Amazon cart for $93ish. I am trying to decide if I should try it or if it would be better to try an SQ labs saddle in the same price range. The nice thing about the Brooks is I will have it tomorrow if I order in the next two hours. I have been trying really cheap saddles and I want to try something a bit more expensive to see if it helps. Another plus for the Brooks is I can return it if I don't like it. i would hope that 300+ miles I put on it in a month should be enough to break it in? The lack of a cutout scares me a bit, after the numbness I had with my first saddle.
On the right bike a Brooks is a thing of beauty, and that seems like a decent price. They seem to work for a lot of people, so it's probably a worthy saddle to try, especially if you can return it. You've been putting in enough miles that you shouldn't feel too bad about spending a little more on the occasional higher end piece of gear. I say this as one of the rare people who isn't comfortable on any Brooks they've tried. :/
Old 08-11-17, 12:15 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
5 years on a Brooks B17 and I love it. I cannot imagine switching to anything else, at least on my current bike.

Interesting you don't like how they look. I really like the classic look of a well worn, or even brand new leather saddle.
Old 08-11-17, 01:49 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Only your butt/bod will know for sure. I have Koobi's on two of my bikes (one MTB that is 20 yrs old with a 45 mile max distance on it...the other auEnduro, 5 months old with a 67 mile max on it) and just rode a 60 miler with the factory Bontrager seat on my Domane. All work for me...300ish mile mark seems the break in point. I see lots of Brooks, which would seem a testament to their comfort for most.

Update 24 Aug: took off the Bontrager seat in favor of the Koobi auEnduro.

Last edited by Stormsedge; 08-24-17 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 02:05 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
The nice thing about the Brooks is I will have it tomorrow if I order in the next two hours. I have been trying really cheap saddles and I want to try something a bit more expensive to see if it helps. Another plus for the Brooks is I can return it if I don't like it. i would hope that 300+ miles I put on it in a month should be enough to break it in? The lack of a cutout scares me a bit, after the numbness I had with my first saddle.
if fast shipping is your determining factor, go to Walmart and pick up the cheapest saddle today! Even faster!
Brooks has the same saddle as "Imperial" with cutout. I'm considering to buy that after trying all kind of saddles.

They really are great. I recently visited my in-laws and took a family bike with the B17 and rode 60 miles in one trip. No fitting of bike (it fit approximately) and not broken in for myself... it was the best saddle ever.
Old 08-11-17, 02:33 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Brooks makes the most comfortable saddles I've ridden, but...

(1) It often takes a bit of effort to get a new one set up "just so." Be prepared to spend some time getting the tilt set right, in particular.

(2) Depending on your butt, it may take some time to break in. Two of mine have taken up to 500 miles to feel comfortable; the third was great right out of the box.

(3) For a large rider, in particular, you need to protect the leather from water. Fenders from the bottom, and a saddle cover, will keep rain (and heavy sweat, if you experience that) from stretching the saddle and making it sag.
Old 08-11-17, 03:21 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up going with the Imperial model. I also ordered from Nashbar because they are having a 25% off deal right now and I needed some socks too.

I ordered the Brooks Proofide to treat it with. Fenders are a no go for me but my bike is always inside when not being ridden, so the cover isn't needed. If it can't handle sweat from riding I will be really peeved I spent $100 on it.
Old 08-11-17, 03:24 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Brooks C17 Cambium ..... best saddle that I have ever owned (I have one on each of my bikes) .... I've had many including B17, Rolls, Gilles Berthoud, Fizik etc etc

plus it's 100% waterproof and comes with a 10 year guarantee
Old 08-11-17, 05:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
as many have noted saddles are personal....these are my experiences which may or may not help

I have 2 brooks out of 3 bikes a B17 on my commuter utility and a swift on my bike with a little drop from seat to bars. the other saddle i use is sella italia turbo. (also I tried a b17n imperial and it simple did not work)

one: my brooks that worked for me were comfortable from day one (once adjusted) and just got better
two: the brooks that did not work never felt right from the start and didn't get better with time

My B-17 comfort was really dependent on tilt. what worked was as slight tilt up of the nose (but if you put a level on the back it is flat) other wise i slide

my swift works with a slight nose tilt down (but not as much as it looks in pictures
B17, more upright position

swift, some drop from seat to handle bars

Old 08-11-17, 06:32 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
as many have noted saddles are personal....these are my experiences which may or may not help

I have 2 brooks out of 3 bikes a B17 on my commuter utility and a swift on my bike with a little drop from seat to bars. the other saddle i use is sella italia turbo. (also I tried a b17n imperial and it simple did not work)

one: my brooks that worked for me were comfortable from day one (once adjusted) and just got better
two: the brooks that did not work never felt right from the start and didn't get better with time

My B-17 comfort was really dependent on tilt. what worked was as slight tilt up of the nose (but if you put a level on the back it is flat) other wise i slide

my swift works with a slight nose tilt down (but not as much as it looks in pictures
B17, more upright position

swift, some drop from seat to handle bars

Thanks. I found a reputable bike shop that will do a basic fitting for $50, which is $75 cheaper then I could find anywhere else. I am supposed to do it Monday but I think I will reschedule for late next week so I can have the new saddle before I go. I don't think it makes much sense to have a fitting done when I know I will be changing saddles.
Old 08-11-17, 08:10 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I ended up going with the Imperial model. I also ordered from Nashbar because they are having a 25% off deal right now and I needed some socks too.

I ordered the Brooks Proofide to treat it with. Fenders are a no go for me but my bike is always inside when not being ridden, so the cover isn't needed. If it can't handle sweat from riding I will be really peeved I spent $100 on it.
Thanks for sharing. I had an order placed with CRC and after your post I checked Nashbar and it was $2 cheaper with the discount and i ordered from Nashbar instead.
Assuming they still make money on the sales, just proves my point the US stores rip us off....
Old 08-12-17, 12:21 PM
Solare

Bikes: raleigh venture 4.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this saddle help with numbness? I have a raleigh amd tend to go a little numb when riding and I am looking for a good saddle to prevent this.
Old 08-12-17, 01:55 PM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bah! I chickened out and cancelled the order. I need to think about it more.
Old 08-13-17, 08:00 PM
bunkerman

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks

My feeling is 300 miles will not break in a Brooks. Not fully anyways. I raced on a Brooks Pro in the 70s. It was on a Raleigh. Pretty darn comfortable after a while. I am thinking a 1000 miles. Rode 250 - 350 a week back then. If I ever went touring a hefty Brooks or Berthoud would be on my bike.
Old 08-13-17, 08:05 PM
bunkerman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW curious you didnt like the look? All of thr greats from the old days raced on Brooks or Ideale and perhaps a few other brands I never heard of. Pretty Classy look to me at least.
Old 08-13-17, 08:22 PM
deaninkl

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I paid 47 pound for a B17 on Amazon UK, shipped to Malaysia, true the they don't ascetically suite every bike, and look better on classic/vintage or steel framed tourer's but they are so comfortable.. definitely worth the extra, just a shame you cant test them for a month first...
Old 08-13-17, 08:26 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
In my experience, it depends on the bike and how it's set up. I have a Brooks B-17 on my hybrid and touring bikes. I absolutely love them and for me they were comfortable almost immediately. I tried a B-17 narrow on my road bike and it didn't work for me. The difference is that the hybrid and touring bikes have an upright set up so I'm sitting "on" the saddle. My road bike is more aggressive so I'm bent over and I'm essentially not sitting on but more sitting against it.
Old 08-13-17, 09:58 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a B17 on my vintage bikes (a mountain bike and a sport touring bike), and they're very comfortable. I have a C17 on everything else but my fastest road bike. The C17 is the right shape for me, and not as finicky as the leather saddles. They come in all the colors you'd expect from Brooks as well.
Old 08-14-17, 06:20 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have a Brooks team pro special on one of my bikes, I knew that it should fit me since I had one that felt fine on my Raleigh. I broke it in on my trainer bike over the winter.

Places like REI have the B-17 and have good return policy. So if you are in the US you can try it for up to a year and still return it. You will pay full price, but the return policy is worth it on an item that your not sure that works for you.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 08-14-17 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-14-17, 07:11 AM
bigbiker1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkerman
BTW curious you didnt like the look? All of thr greats from the old days raced on Brooks or Ideale and perhaps a few other brands I never heard of. Pretty Classy look to me at least.
The looks are actually starting to grow on me but the lack of being waterproof gives me pause. If its warm out my seat is usually very wet from sweat when I am done riding. I also don't want to have to worry about running through puddles as that happens sometimes on the paved trail I ride after a rain, sometimes there are quite a few of them and I end up with a lot of muddy water on me and my bike.

I am getting the professional fit done this afternoon and I will try my current saddle for a while after that. They have a 90 day policy so if I change my saddle I can go back in and they will tweak things within those 90 days.
Old 08-14-17, 10:55 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I put about 500 miles on a B17 and it was comfortable, but the lack of waterproofing is what caused me to take it off. I ride in normal shorts (Khaki/Cargo) and it kept staining my pants due to sweat. This happened before and after I applied proofide to a new saddle. I may end of keeping it and put a cover on it, but am going to try a few other saddles first.
Old 08-14-17, 04:40 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Doesn't Nashbar have a year return policy?

I bought a B17 Imperial from them and had a year. Unfortunately numbness didn't show up until after a year. It felt great out of the box. I probably weighed 230-235 at the time, and I think that helped make it comfortable quickly. I never could get the tilt right to prevent numbness creeping in somewhere between 12 & 20 miles. It's in a box, with a still wrapped tin of Proofide.

I like my SMP TRK, but it won't last as long as a B17/B17 Imperial. When it breaks down, I'll have to choose between another TRK, if it's available, a their higher-end SMP, which costs 2.5 times a B17, and another seat search. IOW, a B17 is a comfortable, long-lasting, cost-effective item, if it works for you.
Old 08-16-17, 11:41 AM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a leather - look at selle anatomica

https://selleanatomica.com/
Old 08-22-17, 08:38 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
The looks are actually starting to grow on me but the lack of being waterproof gives me pause. If its warm out my seat is usually very wet from sweat when I am done riding. I also don't want to have to worry about running through puddles as that happens sometimes on the paved trail I ride after a rain, sometimes there are quite a few of them and I end up with a lot of muddy water on me and my bike.

I am getting the professional fit done this afternoon and I will try my current saddle for a while after that. They have a 90 day policy so if I change my saddle I can go back in and they will tweak things within those 90 days.
I'm a B17 and B17n fan, but that profile & weight seems a little ridiculous on a few of my bikes. My 'cheap date' find are these Ergon SR3-L saddles that Nashbar and others have stocked, and routinely close out. I have the Carbon and the Pro - they work nicely for me...wide, nice flat top & nose, and just the right amount of flex. From $29-49 they are hard to beat and look like real road bike saddles.

https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...66_-1___204721
Old 08-22-17, 10:31 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
OP I tried many saddles since coming back to cycling 3 years ago. The only thing I found that worked for me after buying a box of saddles was a Brooks. YMMV saddles are a very personal choice.