Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Foot pain? New clipless

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-17, 05:32 PM
Shadowx

Bikes: Marin Larkspur CS2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Foot pain? New clipless

hey,
I got my saddle issues mostly sorted out, just got new Shimano SPD pedals. Got Bontrager SSR multi sport shoes. took a longer ride today, 32 miles. It felt like they were on fire. I ended up moving the cleats back as far as they would go which was just behind the ball of my foot and felt the best. Is it some sort of adjustment period I have to get used to. Is this a more common issue with cyldes since we support more weight on our pedals?

For clarification. I am getting pain in the ball of my foot, somewhere between on fire and a bad cramp.

Update, I think I have sorted it out. A regular shoe has a sole and insole between you and the pedal. My shoe is hard plastic directly under the insole. I'm pushing down on hard plastic with a thin foam insole on between. O expected better from bontraget
Update 2, Lace up shoes with one velcro at the top. Laced super loose with velcro tight. added dr. scholls massaging gel athletic insert (from work boots). Increased cadence. So far I can now go 20-25 miles before issues kick up. Slight discomfort to bad pain in about 3min or so. I usually notices I slowed my cadence and it will mostly go away when I speed back up. I got the metatarsal support gel pad things. gonna try them tomorrow. Thinking new shoes next payday.

Last edited by Shadowx; 09-08-17 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-26-17, 06:09 PM
copperfind

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the shoes new also? Often "hot foot" comes from shoes too tight. Its a common issue with all riders not just clydes.

Last edited by copperfind; 08-26-17 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-26-17, 06:12 PM
copperfind

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could also be a few other things cleat position or riding position... May be just getting use to riding shoes if you havent warn them before. If you moved your cleats that far back and you can ride like that you may be too far forward on your bike, may be putting more pressure on your foot.
Old 08-26-17, 06:17 PM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by copperfind
Could also be a few other things cleat position or riding position... May be just getting use to riding shoes if you havent warn them before. If you moved your cleats that far back and you can ride like that you may be too far forward on your bike, may be putting more pressure on your foot.
Part of it may be that the shoes are 1 size too big. they are what was available, and were perfect fit for my fit, i just have a little extra room in the toes. i figures that would put the cleat box a little far forward.
Old 08-26-17, 06:20 PM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the shoes new also? Often "hot foot" comes from shoes too tight. Its a common issue with all riders not just clydes.
yes brand new, perhaps lace a little looser? i have kind of a wider foot, most cycling shoes seem pretty narrow.
Old 08-26-17, 06:52 PM
copperfind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadowx
yes brand new, perhaps lace a little looser? i have kind of a wider foot, most cycling shoes seem pretty narrow.
They do seem to run narrow I have a 13.5 EEE tried on a lot of shoes before I found a pair that seemed good... I would try loosening them a bit... You dont want them slipping but also not too snug. If you havent already try looking at bike fit videos and see where you are on the bike.
Old 08-26-17, 06:55 PM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They do seem to run narrow I have a 13.5 EEE tried on a lot of shoes before I found a pair that seemed good... I would try loosening them a bit... You dont want them slipping but also not too snug. If you havent already try looking at bike fit videos and see where you are on the bike.
Got the bike fitted, the bike is feeling great, legs feeling great, seat is much better. I was having a little foot pain before with my sneakers and platform pedals, but nothing this bad.
Old 08-26-17, 07:16 PM
copperfind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
May be just getting use to riding shoes... loosen a bit and take a few rides... I know if I have been off the bike for a bit I feel it in my feet first few rides.
Old 08-26-17, 08:04 PM
Staypuft1652

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they are 2 bolt spd, what I did for myself was to cut out some thin plastic to put between the insole, and cleat plate. On mine there was just foam there. On longer rides I have a lil hot foot but way better than before.
Old 08-26-17, 08:11 PM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staypuft1652
If they are 2 bolt spd, what I did for myself was to cut out some thin plastic to put between the insole, and cleat plate. On mine there was just foam there. On longer rides I have a lil hot foot but way better than before.
I have a hard plastic rectangular plate in mine under the insole. maybe something extra as a buffer...
Old 08-26-17, 08:16 PM
Staypuft1652

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a hard plastic rectangular plate in mine under the insole. maybe something extra as a buffer...
Yeah not sure then. Something I had read a while back also mentioned, depending on shoe size and fit, there are aftermarket insoles available, with more arch support. Something about nerve pressure. Perhaps in the future that may be an idea as well.

I think I got the arch support part wrong, but theres a bump in some strategic spot that has to do with lessening nerve pressure.

Edit: Its called a metatarsal button. Heres an example:https://mikesbikes.com/product/specia...xoCgNkQAvD_BwE

Last edited by Staypuft1652; 08-26-17 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-26-17, 08:49 PM
Tokwan

Bikes: Giant/HARO/ Exitway

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my experience: If the cleat is situated away from the widest part of your foot, that means the placement of the foot is not at the correct position and ergonomically incorrect which can result in certain irregularities. The widest part of you foot must be on the spindle of the pedal.
And when you cycle, make sure your foot/pedal is parallel to the ground /road. Do not tilt your shoes in a downwards manner with you toes pointing to the ground.
The issue should be around the positioning of the cleat at the correct point of the spindle, parallel to the bike frame and the ground.
Or your shoe might be too tight or the inner soles are not ergonomical to your feet (raised soles or A or B shaped shoes).
For example, some people simply cannot run or walk in some Sketches model shoes due to the sole shape.
However you did not elaborate on which area of your feet that is hurting...you should mention exactly where.
Old 08-27-17, 02:03 PM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tokwan
From my experience: If the cleat is situated away from the widest part of your foot, that means the placement of the foot is not at the correct position and ergonomically incorrect which can result in certain irregularities. The widest part of you foot must be on the spindle of the pedal.
And when you cycle, make sure your foot/pedal is parallel to the ground /road. Do not tilt your shoes in a downwards manner with you toes pointing to the ground.
The issue should be around the positioning of the cleat at the correct point of the spindle, parallel to the bike frame and the ground.
Or your shoe might be too tight or the inner soles are not ergonomical to your feet (raised soles or A or B shaped shoes).
For example, some people simply cannot run or walk in some Sketches model shoes due to the sole shape.
However you did not elaborate on which area of your feet that is hurting...you should mention exactly where.
sorry, pain in in the ball of my foot, feels like somewhere between on fire and a cramp. my foot is mostly level when peddaling.
Old 08-27-17, 02:33 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey,
I got my saddle issues mostly sorted out, just got new Shimano SPD pedals. Got Bontrager SSR multi sport shoes. took a longer ride today, 32 miles. It felt like they were on fire. I ended up moving the cleats back as far as they would go which was just behind the ball of my foot and felt the best. Is it some sort of adjustment period I have to get used to. Is this a more common issue with cyldes since we support more weight on our pedals?

For clarification. I am getting pain in the ball of my foot, somewhere between on fire and a bad cramp.
I used to use Speedplay lollipops and always had issues and there was no getting used to them and exactly as you described. They were setup when I had the bike adjusted when I purchased it. It didn't matter how long I rode, how I rode or anything just constant discomfort and pain. Switched to Shimano 105 SPD with the same shoes (cheap ones that fit and were on sale...LG erGOair) and put the cleats all the way forward to start. No issues since. Well, one issue is the kitchen floor is crazy slick when trying to get outside...

Maybe you need new pedals/cleats as your foot/riding style isn't compatible with them? Initially, I thought I may not be able to use this type of pedal system, but changing the entire thing solved my problem(s).
Old 08-27-17, 07:03 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
One thing I found when I started with 2 bolt SPD pedals was that the black cleat (SH-51) was too confining. I had heat issues, knee issues and just plain sore feet. I thought it was the change from old school cleats and old school shoes, but it was the cleat. I switched to the sliver SH-56 that has a bit more float and it helped, AND I tested a tiny bit of adjustment. Even so I have the pedals at full loose and have never had an unintentional release.

Hope this helps. I still prefer the clips and straps due to muscle memory over the years, but I also love the walkability of SPDs and will not go back except for my vintage bike.
Old 08-28-17, 12:45 AM
Tokwan

Bikes: Giant/HARO/ Exitway

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry, pain in in the ball of my foot, feels like somewhere between on fire and a cramp. my foot is mostly level when peddaling.
Start adjusting the position of the cleats and "test" cycle with their new positions.
Old 08-29-17, 09:46 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Presuming you've had someone who understands cycle shoe fit make sure your fit is correct, check the following:

1. Insoles to anchor your foot and support your arches (including metatarsal arch). If your foot slides in the shoe, it's going to really compress part of your foot. If your arches are not supported, it's going to hurt. Most cycling shoes come with absolute garbage for insoles.

2. figure out how hard you are pushing on the pedals. If you are pedaling at a low cadence but have a lot of foot pressure, this is likely exacerbating the pain. Cycling shoes have much stiffer soles than your athletic shoes so if anything gives in an improper fit, it's going to be your foot. Adding lots of pressure to that equation doesn't help. To alleviate the pressure but keep the same power going to your pedals, increase your cadence but decrease the pressure on the pedal. Pedaling technique is really important for foot comfort.

3. If the pressure is related to the outside of your foot, consider increasing your Q-factor (distance between pedals) by adding spacers. Often a millimeter or two can make a big difference. Common problem for clydes.

J.
Old 08-30-17, 07:59 AM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I think I have figured it out. While looking at my shoes I realized there is nothing but a basic foam insole between my feet and the bottom of the shoe, which is all hard plastic.
Old 08-30-17, 08:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
& if a loose comfortable fit you would pull your foot out of your shoe as likely as release the shoe from the pedal.
Old 08-30-17, 11:49 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
You don't need padding in your shoe. A cycling shoe and a walking/running shoe are different things completely.

Having your cleat all the way back is the way my wife's bike fitter set my wife up and suggested it to me. He said use your big muscles to ride, not your little ones. This is his website if you want to see who he is: Bicycle Fit Guru ? The Midwest Premier Bike Fit Studio

I had the same fire/pain as you are describing, your shoes are too tight which compresses a nerve in your foot. The suggestion of the metatarsal bump may help too. My shoes are only tightened in the ankle area, everywhere else is loose (8.5 EEEE foot here).

I use the Icebug insoles Slim Medium. Why the slim? I don't have room to give up in my shoe already, why add more bulk. If you add bulk inside your shoe you will hurt more. Took me 2 years to find the right combo, and now that I am thinking about it I didn't even notice my feet on my last ride.
https://us-shop.icebug.com/collectio...le-slim-medium
Old 08-30-17, 12:13 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing causes pain for me like overtightening my shoes. When they're right they feel almost too loose, but not enough for my foot to move around. Then, after a couple of hours of riding they need to be loosened some more.
Old 08-30-17, 03:29 PM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
You don't need padding in your shoe. A cycling shoe and a walking/running shoe are different things completely.

Having your cleat all the way back is the way my wife's bike fitter set my wife up and suggested it to me. He said use your big muscles to ride, not your little ones. This is his website if you want to see who he is: Bicycle Fit Guru ? The Midwest Premier Bike Fit Studio

I had the same fire/pain as you are describing, your shoes are too tight which compresses a nerve in your foot. The suggestion of the metatarsal bump may help too. My shoes are only tightened in the ankle area, everywhere else is loose (8.5 EEEE foot here).

I use the Icebug insoles Slim Medium. Why the slim? I don't have room to give up in my shoe already, why add more bulk. If you add bulk inside your shoe you will hurt more. Took me 2 years to find the right combo, and now that I am thinking about it I didn't even notice my feet on my last ride.
https://us-shop.icebug.com/collectio...le-slim-medium
it may be the shoes being too narrow. I know that i usually wear a wide shoe and like a larger toe box for running shoes and boots. i may just have to buy another pair of shoes.... bummer .
Old 08-31-17, 11:32 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
it may be the shoes being too narrow. I know that i usually wear a wide shoe and like a larger toe box for running shoes and boots. i may just have to buy another pair of shoes.... bummer .
In looking at the Bontrager SSR Multisport shoes you will notice that the footbed has an outer piece that comes up on the outside of the shoe. That's the problem for people with wide feet. Your foot needs a completely flat foot bed.

These are what I wear, if you look at the side profile there is no lip on the foot bed, just flat, my fat foot can spill over and I have no issues with it.

https://lakecycling.com/products/mx-...ant=9997316869

Last edited by Yendor72; 08-31-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-02-17, 04:45 AM
Shadowx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
In looking at the Bontrager SSR Multisport shoes you will notice that the footbed has an outer piece that comes up on the outside of the shoe. That's the problem for people with wide feet. Your foot needs a completely flat foot bed.

These are what I wear, if you look at the side profile there is no lip on the foot bed, just flat, my fat foot can spill over and I have no issues with it.

https://lakecycling.com/products/mx-...ant=9997316869
thank you, I will for sure look into these. Talked to a couple bike shops, they pretty much told me that wides are very uncommon, or I would have to special order.
Old 09-02-17, 12:33 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I take double 11.5 EE or E street shoes and sneakers. My only truly American shoes are Johnston and Murphy and Bostonian wingtips (an 11 EE and 11.5 E) and a pair of Redwing lace up field boots (11.5 E width).

I was surprised to find Shimano shoes to be wide enough. I take a size 47 in their mountain bike line that look like black road shoes, but take SPD cleats and are very, very comfortable and walkable. My feet are also flat, flat, flat. The Shimano shoes have 3 velcro straps so the toe end and middle can be left loose and the ankle made tighter. For me, the middle strap is the one that is most tightness sensitive. I often use support insoles on my sneakers and casual hiking boots, but dress shoes and cycling shoes are without add-in insoles and feel great as they come.

The Shimanos were under $100 on sale. This is now Fall sales time.

I am also looking at a pair of Giro Rumble VR Bike Shoes that are SPD compatible, but will not use the cleats and use them instead for toe clips and straps pedals. They are actually lace up. Velcro straps and toeclip straps are a bad mix. They also have genuine Vibram soles so they will be durable on walking and with straps and quill pedals. They are in the $70-90 range and come in black, blue and olive.

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read and saw you were EEEE. I have my doubts these would work in your case, but others may find the info helpful.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 09-02-17 at 12:49 PM. Reason: add updated note.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.