Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 09:19 AM
Demobrett

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Emonda ALR 5?!?!?

Hello all! I am currently in the market for a road bike. I had a Felt about 3 years ago, but we were expecting our second child, had just bought a house and just life in general, and so the Felt was just collecting dust in the garage. So I sold it. Now I'm looking at getting back in to riding. I'm leaning towards the Trek Emonda ALR 5. I have done an Internet search but no real reviews on the bike so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

Brett
Old 06-16-15, 09:30 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I rode one to get a feel for it.

It is an aluminum bike that IMO rivals any carbon frame I rode on. (disclamer: the newest carbon bike I have ridden was 2006 or so).

105 components are solid and dependable.

The H2 fit is my biggest "peeve" if I have any. My bike is "H2" fit, and with the minimum recommended 5mm spacer below the stem, the stock 7 degree stem flipped down, the bike still isn't very agressive.

The bars have short drops, so either new bars or a 17 degree stem to go lower in the front.
Old 06-16-15, 09:33 AM
isuckatbiking

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Demobrett
Hello all! I am currently in the market for a road bike. I had a Felt about 3 years ago, but we were expecting our second child, had just bought a house and just life in general, and so the Felt was just collecting dust in the garage. So I sold it. Now I'm looking at getting back in to riding. I'm leaning towards the Trek Emonda ALR 5. I have done an Internet search but no real reviews on the bike so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

Brett
Have an ALR 6. Absolutely love the bike. Twitchy but fast. Light as well.
Old 06-16-15, 09:44 AM
l3mnhead

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my ALR 6 for about 3 weeks now and have put in over 400 miles on it. All I can say is that I love the bike! My other bike is a 2012 Supersix, non Evo. The ALR feels much smoother and seems more efficient in putting power down on rougher pavement. Whereas my Supersix would skip all over the place when I would stand to climb on steep, bumpy pavement, the ALR manages to stay glued to the road and keep a steady tempo. I'm already running HED Ardennes with 25mm Conti GP 4000s at 80-85 psi on the Supersix. It's amazing what Trek was able to do with this frame. I also test rode the SL8 before getting the ALR and I preferred the feel of the ALR.
Old 06-18-15, 05:18 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I was at a LBS yesterday and they had a blue one. Not a big Trek fan but I really liked that one. Didn't even know about these bikes until I saw it. Nice frame, components, fair price. That's the only Trek I would consider buying. Good looking bike and my color. I thought the ALR6 was kind of fugly. Put some lighter wheels on it, my saddle and I'd be good for the next 10 years.

Old 06-18-15, 06:41 PM
doug59

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried one a few weeks ago when I test rode my Trek Domane. The guy at my LBS wanted me to try it because they were impressed with it. I was pleasantly surprised. It rode beautifully. I ended up with the Domane because it's the bike I wanted when I went to the store but if you're looking for a nice bike that wasn't too bad price wise for what it had...the ALR is a good bike!
Old 06-19-15, 10:37 AM
Demobrett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doug59
I tried one a few weeks ago when I test rode my Trek Domane. The guy at my LBS wanted me to try it because they were impressed with it. I was pleasantly surprised. It rode beautifully. I ended up with the Domane because it's the bike I wanted when I went to the store but if you're looking for a nice bike that wasn't too bad price wise for what it had...the ALR is a good bike!
Where in Orlando are you? I live in Casselberry. Do you shop at Davids World?
Old 06-19-15, 10:41 AM
doug59

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey Brett. I live in Altamonte. Yes, it was at David's World Cycle. And I'll repeat, the ALR 5 is a real nice bike. Have you tried one yet?
Old 06-19-15, 10:51 AM
Demobrett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're neighbors! I have not tried it yet. I went in looking at the Domane 2.0C or possibly the Emonda S4. The guy at the store showed me the ALR and its got better components for a small price difference. Im hoping to go in the next few days to test ride one.
Old 06-19-15, 11:50 AM
ato316

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've had mine for a couple weeks, i walked into my LBS looking for a madone but the alr 5 really caught my eye when i saw it there. its incredibly light, what i really like is that is the everything is 105 components so it all works smoothly. i dont care for the bontrager r1 tires it comes with though.
Old 06-19-15, 12:05 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
We're neighbors! I have not tried it yet. I went in looking at the Domane 2.0C or possibly the Emonda S4. The guy at the store showed me the ALR and its got better components for a small price difference. Im hoping to go in the next few days to test ride one.
The ALR frame weighs the same at the SL carbon frame, and only 350 grams less than the SLR. Hard to beat for that price.
Old 06-19-15, 12:08 PM
Demobrett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the bike?
Old 06-19-15, 12:22 PM
isuckatbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the bike?

I paid 2099 for mine. The ALR 5 will go for 1599.

These are the rock bottom prices. Dealers have some sort of deal in place that won't allow them to go lower.
Old 06-19-15, 01:22 PM
ato316

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isuckatbiking
I paid 2099 for mine. The ALR 5 will go for 1599.

These are the rock bottom prices. Dealers have some sort of deal in place that won't allow them to go lower.
same here, i paid $1600 for mine
Old 06-19-15, 01:50 PM
isuckatbiking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ato316
same here, i paid $1600 for mine
It really is a good deal!

I ended up getting the 6 because of the paint scheme and the fact it came with Ultegra standard. I'm not one to usually switch out parts other than the seat so having it come standard was a added convenience.

On second glance, that alr 5 in black is truly a looker. LOVE that it has the little specks incorporated into the paint job.
Old 06-19-15, 02:41 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a Performance Bikes in Winter Park, try a few different brands just to make sure that the Trek is the one that you really want. Without comparison points in road tests, how can you be sure that you got the bike that fits you best?

So try some of the other big brands (e.g. Specialized, Fuji, Giant, Cannondale, Raleigh, Felt, etc.). You may like the Trek best, but then again, you may be surprised that a different bike feels better.

GH
Old 06-19-15, 02:59 PM
Demobrett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
There's a Performance Bikes in Winter Park, try a few different brands just to make sure that the Trek is the one that you really want. Without comparison points in road tests, how can you be sure that you got the bike that fits you best?

So try some of the other big brands (e.g. Specialized, Fuji, Giant, Cannondale, Raleigh, Felt, etc.). You may like the Trek best, but then again, you may be surprised that a different bike feels better.

GH

I was looking online at Specialized but Davids World recently bought Bike Works (sold specialized) and now there is no Specialized dealer that is close. The closest dealer is probably 30 minutes away. I have been to Performance before. They have a nice selection. I am hoping to get into ride the Trek within the next week or so. I have a Trek mountain bike so i guess im a bit biased. And from what ive gathered the Emonda ALR is a fantastic bike for the price. Ill stop in Performance again too next week and see what they have. Thanks!

Cola....Are you in the Central Florida area too?
Old 06-19-15, 03:05 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking online at Specialized but Davids World recently bought Bike Works (sold specialized) and now there is no Specialized dealer that is close. The closest dealer is probably 30 minutes away. I have been to Performance before. They have a nice selection. I am hoping to get into ride the Trek within the next week or so. I have a Trek mountain bike so i guess im a bit biased. And from what ive gathered the Emonda ALR is a fantastic bike for the price. Ill stop in Performance again too next week and see what they have. Thanks!

Cola....Are you in the Central Florida area too?
No, I'm in NC, but I did buy my bike from the Cary Peformance Bike store. The service at mine is pretty good. I've heard that it is hit or miss at other stores. But the Fuji's are often a little less expensive that the other major brands for a similar bike. But fit is the most important thing, so that's why I always say to road test several different brands. For me, Specialized, Trek, and Fuji were the best fits. The Giant felt like the top tube was too long for me. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any Raleigh's or Cannondales in my size to test.

GH
Old 06-19-15, 03:07 PM
Demobrett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is the weather and riding up there? My wife wants to move up to NC soooo bad. Its been brutally hot down here....
Old 06-19-15, 03:16 PM
doug59

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I started shopping I was looking at the Emonda S4 as well. For a little bit more the ALR is a better deal because of the component upgrade you will get. As someone above me mentioned, incredibly light. Best thing to do is take one for a spin.
Old 07-10-15, 05:33 PM
Demobrett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well. I ended up finally getting a chance to demo the ALR 5 and it's an awesome bike.

So I bought it. I got the bike in Viper Red, a pair of bontrager shoes and Keo Classic pedals for a little over $1800. They had to build the bike so I will be going back tomorrow or Sunday to pick it up.... Can't wait!
Old 07-10-15, 05:43 PM
RDB

Bikes: 96 Stumpjumper M2, Fisher Montare hybrid, Trek Emonda ALR5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should have my ALR5 Monday or Tuesday next week.
Old 07-10-15, 06:04 PM
doug59

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well. I ended up finally getting a chance to demo the ALR 5 and it's an awesome bike.

So I bought it. I got the bike in Viper Red, a pair of bontrager shoes and Keo Classic pedals for a little over $1800. They had to build the bike so I will be going back tomorrow or Sunday to pick it up.... Can't wait!
Cool !!!! Enjoy it. Awesome bike.
Old 07-10-15, 09:37 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I was at a LBS yesterday and they had a blue one. Not a big Trek fan but I really liked that one. Didn't even know about these bikes until I saw it. Nice frame, components, fair price. That's the only Trek I would consider buying. Good looking bike and my color. I thought the ALR6 was kind of fugly. Put some lighter wheels on it, my saddle and I'd be good for the next 10 years.

Gotta admit Trek is a boss when it comes to color choices. I'm considering a new Trek just to take advantage of Project One. Black on black on matte black is so damn played.
Old 01-21-16, 04:17 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

I really want that bike now! Full 105 gruppo and the color is awesome. It really connects with me as that is almost identical to the color of my Specialized Rockhopper growing up.

I wonder how light of wheels you'd need to upgrade to to make the upgrade worth it? I can't find the specs on the stock ALR 5 wheels but I'm betting they are really heavy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.