Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any helmet with visor questions. Any suggestions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 03:52 PM
Whendric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking around for a deal on a bike helmet with a visor. Only know of a few brands due to scouring the web.

I want to be able to wear my glasses and have the visor at least protect my eyes when I'm getting wind in the face going downhill.

Started knowing next to nothing last week about helmets. But now that I'm starting to bike and backpack to my destination, I need to get up to speed.

Any helmet that is Aero with a tail is out. I need full head movement.

Also weight and ruggedness are considerationd. There are some 'hybrid' helmets that are for more than one sport I'd consider.
Old 07-12-17, 04:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Pretty much any sheild-equipped helmet will be of the aero variety, and therefore not the most well ventilated helmet-- see the Giro Attack Shield or the Bell Star Pro. Worth a look at least, the Wide Eyez will allow you to use whatever helmet you like, if you can get past the kinda cartoony looks of it, and this $40 jobbie from China has pretty good Amazon reviews, and is cheap enough to give it a whirl.
Old 07-12-17, 04:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
How much riding have you been doing?

Are you sure you need more of a shield than simply wearing your glasses?
Old 07-13-17, 11:54 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Pretty much any sheild-equipped helmet will be of the aero variety, and therefore not the most well ventilated helmet-- see the Giro Attack Shield or the Bell Star Pro. Worth a look at least, the Wide Eyez will allow you to use whatever helmet you like, if you can get past the kinda cartoony looks of it, and this $40 jobbie from China has pretty good Amazon reviews, and is cheap enough to give it a whirl.
That China one actually doesn't look too hideous. EDIT: Looking again the shield is about 90% bigger than it needs to be, though...

Plus, the shield is bulletproof. That's a real commitment to safety for people in rural Texas or South Side Chicago.

Last edited by kc0bbq; 07-13-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-13-17, 12:19 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
How much riding have you been doing?

Are you sure you need more of a shield than simply wearing your glasses?
Or getting cycling glasses with a prescription insert?
Old 07-13-17, 12:21 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Plastic visor are not very comfortable. Even time trialing, I don't use a visor on the TT helmet, due to heat, fogging, and just being a general PITA. If it is at all humid, wearing glasses under a visor will fog your glasses.

Wear some nice sports sun glasses.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-13-17, 12:40 PM
mrkristof47
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting !
Old 07-13-17, 12:41 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by kc0bbq
That China one actually doesn't look too hideous. EDIT: Looking again the shield is about 90% bigger than it needs to be, though...

Plus, the shield is bulletproof. That's a real commitment to safety for people in rural Texas or South Side Chicago.
If the helmet's shield is 90% too big, that must make the Wide Eyez about 400% too big. And while I have not been, nor do I ever imagine myself to be in the market for a shield-equipped helmet, every time a bee or beetle defies all statistical odds and manages to hit me in the 1/2" of exposed skin between the helmet and the top of my glasses, I think... maybe. Just a very small maybe.

I mean, I went to Smith Overtake almost solely to eliminate the recurrent bee stings to the top of my head, so I just assume that if the OP wants a shield/visor, he's got his reasons.
Old 07-13-17, 12:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Worth a look at least, the Wide Eyez will allow you to use whatever helmet you like, if you can get past the kinda cartoony looks of it
The photos on the web site have brought tears to my eyes.

Wonder if the dude on the recumbent posts in A&S.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-13-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 12:53 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

If someone were to combine Wide Eyez, a recumbent trike, and a Jimmy Buffet parrothead shirt, they would be crowned King of A&S. Also, no less than 6 taillights, and two flags. Just imagine the aero benefits of the air flowing up over the beer belly and across the Wide Eyez. Cutting through the air like an SR-71.
Old 07-13-17, 01:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
If someone were to combine Wide Eyez, a recumbent trike, and a Jimmy Buffet parrothead shirt, they would be crowned King of A&S. Also, no less than 6 taillights, and two flags. Just imagine the aero benefits of the air flowing up over the beer belly and across the Wide Eyez. Cutting through the air like an SR-71.

Pretty damn close:

Old 07-13-17, 04:47 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Pretty damn close:
Old 07-14-17, 02:25 PM
Whendric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
07-14-17 03:10 PMWhendric
I'll answer all the questions as a group. I wear eyeglasses and not ready to shell the $$ for prescription sports glasses. Plus I need some more straight answers on ordinary glasses before venturing there yet.

Rode bikes most of my life, But now I'm biking further and further away from home and doing overnights primitive camping in State forests.

I have taken all your considerations about the negatives of having a visor or TT helmet. If I can remove or flip up the visor, that might be the compromise I seek.

The Air attack is the best candidate so far, But I barley scratched the surface looking into say the Euro or hybrid made helmets.

Broke down and bought one from hong Kong. RockBros seem more legit than the other offerings But I don't know what standards their helmets are meant to comply with, if any.
www.ebay.com/itm/RockBros-Cycling-Helmets-MTB-Road-Bike-Helmet-With-Black-Goggle-L-XL-Matte/122586067773?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648[/URL]
Old 07-14-17, 02:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Pretty damn close:

No gray beard. Fail.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-15-17, 03:49 PM
Whendric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Size and clearance of shield.

If the helmet's shield is 90% too big, that must make the Wide Eyez about 400% too big. And while I have not been, nor do I ever imagine myself to be in the market for a shield-equipped helmet, every time a bee or beetle defies all statistical odds and manages to hit me in the 1/2" of exposed skin between the helmet and the top of my glasses, I think... maybe. Just a very small maybe.

I mean, I went to Smith Overtake almost solely to eliminate the recurrent bee stings to the top of my head, so I just assume that if the OP wants a shield/visor, he's got his reasons.
Several varying reasons, the more that I think of it. Removable or retractable shields being my focus but not ruling out flip ups. So more than one brand has 3 magnets Wonder if they are compatible? Good points about clearance drag and visibility. BTW

The one that I'm waiting to arrive will be the one I make my mistakes with and continue to press on for a more refined choice for long trips.

There is one product called Bouclier that makes mounts and visors. But the visor can be removed.
This option allows you to mount this type on any helmet and convert it. Just that it's large and not so portable.
A half visor that behaved flipped up I'd consider for converting a quality helmet.
Old 07-15-17, 03:57 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drewguy
Or getting cycling glasses with a prescription insert?
Where can you get these? I would be interested in something like that. I have to wear my glasses to be able to see my computer and would rather wear some good bike glasses.

OP- I bought a helmet with a visor, on my road bike I had to crane my neck to see forward under it and it made my neck hurt. I ripped that thing off after one ride.
Old 07-15-17, 03:58 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty damn close:

LOL! Best post I've seen in awhile.
Old 07-15-17, 04:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I wear prescription glasses and always wear a helmet with visor. I make fiberglass mounts for CatEye mirrors, then screw the mount onto the visor.

My current helmet is a POC Trabec. Not exactly what I would have picked given more choices but at the time I knew I wanted MIPS and there were very few options. To my surprise, it is very comfortable despite its weight and is by far the highest quality helmet I have owned.

As someone who wears glasses (never contacts) ever waking moment except the shower, being able to ride with the glasses I wear off the bike and not have sun glare (or rain) behind my glasses is a very real plus. I raced before visors and before I could afford sunglasses so I know all about being tough and hip. Laurent Fignon, except I was doing it long before him. Now I don't have to.

Ben
Old 07-15-17, 04:38 PM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
Where can you get these?
Bolle and Rudy Project are the two big names that make sunglasses with interchangeable lenses with a prescription insert.

I've used both, currently have Rudy Projects Rydon with the RX inserts. Another alternative is to my normal glasses are Oakley wire frame sunglasses where I had the lenses replaced with prescription transition lenses.
Old 07-15-17, 04:53 PM
Whendric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I wear prescription glasses and always wear a helmet with visor. I make fiberglass mounts for CatEye mirrors, then screw the mount onto the visor.

My current helmet is a POC Trabec. Not exactly what I would have picked given more choices but at the time I knew I wanted MIPS and there were very few options. To my surprise, it is very comfortable despite its weight and is by far the highest quality helmet I have owned.

As someone who wears glasses (never contacts) ever waking moment except the shower, being able to ride with the glasses I wear off the bike and not have sun glare (or rain) behind my glasses is a very real plus. I raced before visors and before I could afford sunglasses so I know all about being tough and hip. Laurent Fignon, except I was doing it long before him. Now I don't have to.

Ben
Yea, I have a mirror that I mount on my eyeglasses. And I can position it at any moment to point up down and L<->R when needed. Another consideration. The one I'm waiting on to arrive doesn't wrap around like and meet the edge of the helmet Like I presume yours does by your description.

The POC Trabec that looked up does seem to has enough of a squared off edge. So I could see this being different to shape a visor for it.

So no sun glare or rain behind the glasses? Another consideration then to add to my list. If I can get with different makes of visors or did you make some sort of shield? Already getting some ideas, If I go that route.
Old 07-15-17, 09:16 PM
cdnredraider

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My brother been using the Bell Star Pro. He has been exceptionally happy with both fit and ventilation and would definitely get one again over getting prescription sunglasses.
Old 07-15-17, 10:27 PM
johnu

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife and I use "da brim" for comfort riding. They attach around your helmet like a sombrero.
Old 07-16-17, 06:15 AM
Whendric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bell Star Pro and other considerations.

Originally Posted by cdnredraider
My brother been using the Bell Star Pro. He has been exceptionally happy with both fit and ventilation and would definitely get one again over getting prescription sunglasses.
I took a quick look at that model.

The fit looks like it might help with rear sunlight and wind and appears to fit inside the helmet more. Which might help keeping rain water from going behind the visor. The vent system would allow for some play with the helmets temp.

Just what to do if you don't want the visor? It uses a long earth magnet to keep it in the helmet. But it cant be clipped on the outside. So It would have to go in a pocket or something. Not a deal breaker, but a consideration.

I would check the inside dimensions to see if there is room to slide it over my head and glasses.
It isn't Mips. But might have some foam construction that transfer the shock. More to look into.

Da Brim -somrero. That might a bug country deep woods option with bug screens more than a road option. Everything idea is on the table here. My helmet will be multi-purpose. So I'll go wide. Thanks for all the posts. Y'all.

Last edited by Whendric; 07-16-17 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-16-17, 06:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Go German engineering:

SPEEDairo | Casco Helme

Is my daily lid.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Plastic visor are not very comfortable. Even time trialing, I don't use a visor on the TT helmet, due to heat, fogging, and just being a general PITA. If it is at all humid, wearing glasses under a visor will fog your glasses.

Wear some nice sports sun glasses.
They suck at wind blocking compared to face shield. They are expensive. They don't live a long service life. Did I mention they are not cheap..and the lenses get grunged from sunscreen/sweat really quick.

"nice sports sunglasses" suck in comparison IMHO.
Old 07-16-17, 07:02 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
cocoonseyewear.com
And a visor. I also use a headsweat for pulling the sweat away. Inelegant and not cool lookng, but what do I care. It works great. I use the Cocoons in the car too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.