Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Super 1978 frame - strange fork

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 12:25 PM
Danj54

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I just acquired a 1978 Colnago Super - pretty sure about the identification. However, the fork engraving is not a Colnago but of a cyclist as in the attached picture. I am sure I have seen this logo before but just can't remember. Dropouts are Gipiemme. It also looks as if the engraving is in a black and rather soft (rubberrish) material that covers the top of the crown. Anybody please help?
Dan

Old 02-04-19, 01:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked 6,406 Times in 3,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Danj54
Hi,
I just acquired a 1978 Colnago Super - pretty sure about the identification. However, the fork engraving is not a Colnago but of a cyclist as in the attached picture. I am sure I have seen this logo before but just can't remember. Dropouts are Gipiemme. It also looks as if the engraving is in a black and rather soft (rubberrish) material that covers the top of the crown. Anybody please help?
Dan

We will need many more pics, details, full on , DS, etc, etc.
Old 02-04-19, 02:16 PM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will post more photos tomorrow after I clean some of the rust on the chrome. For t

I will post more photos tomorrow after I clean some of the rust on the chrome. For the moment I was curious to see if anybody could recognize the logo. An additional detail - I bought the bike in Spain from a former competing cyclist who had it stored since 30 years. As the bike was maintained by his team, it could well be the logo of a Spanish brand.
I will come back with more info and pictures
Old 02-04-19, 02:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I will post more photos tomorrow after I clean some of the rust on the chrome. For the moment I was curious to see if anybody could recognize the logo. An additional detail - I bought the bike in Spain from a former competing cyclist who had it stored since 30 years. As the bike was maintained by his team, it could well be the logo of a Spanish brand.
I will come back with more info and pictures
Sounds good, don't be shy, we like before pics so we can see the transformation and sometimes there are clues in the "patina".
Old 02-04-19, 03:04 PM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, here you have the "before"

Old 02-04-19, 03:09 PM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full bike - "before"

Old 02-04-19, 03:20 PM
merziac

Excellent! Definetly not a Nago fork with Gipemme dropouts and no clue from me, the rest looks pretty legit from here but that still ain't sayin much. Are the chain stays stamped "Super"? Not that I know whether they should be or not, I know some are.

Also some thing funky going on with the TT not being level, part is the angle, but part may have to do with that replacement fork.
Old 02-04-19, 03:40 PM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, it's just the angle, here it is again with the floor level - now the TT is level too.

Old 02-04-19, 03:54 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Not sure about the fork myself, but I think this frame is later than a 78.

A 78 should be Nuovo Record, although I realize they might have been replaced, and those decals are different than my 78 as well. They are later style decals. And are the seat stay caps pantographed? I can't quite make it out, but a 78 wouldn't have that.

Nice bike though and some history to boot!
Old 02-04-19, 04:00 PM
merziac

No, it's just the angle, here it is again with the floor level - now the TT is level too.

Huh, well looks to me like if you put both wheels equal distance from the wall the TT won't be level even if the floor isn't, besides it's running downhill in the front so should compensate and help the optics. Can't see good enough for the shadow, fork could be too long as well.
Old 02-05-19, 07:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Can't see good enough for the shadow, fork could be too long as well.
Fork does look long to me as well, distance from the DT to the wheel looks excessive, even considering the flat.
Old 02-05-19, 08:35 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
First I've seen with such decorative 'rubberized' fork crown. Though with certainty its not a Colnago fork.

Yet it might be very specific to another brand / make, also curious if that molded emblem is covering a stamping in the crown.

If I may be subjective, its ugly. I would be one to remove it and if the fork is decent, paint it.
Old 02-05-19, 11:29 AM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The top tube is level

Hi, you made me curious about the length of the fork and the top tube not being level. To be absolutely sure, I measured the distance from the ground at seat tube and headset level - it is exactly the same. Happy that that settles the discussion on this potential problem.
Old 02-05-19, 11:35 AM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New image of the fork crown engraving - two serpents??

I've given a try to see what was beneath the spongy black thing covering the fork crown. To my surprise, that was actually a thick layer of paint that did not stick to the chrome other than in the grooves. Here is actually what the engraving is - two serpents?? I hope that someone has seen that before and could clarify it.

Old 02-05-19, 11:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
I was going to suggest perhaps grease on that crown. It looks like it has at least helped protect the chrome on the crown.

Very interesting logo.

You do have a couple of clover cut-outs on the actual frame, right?
Usually:
  • Clover cutout on top of one or both of the headtube lugs. Sometimes also seat cluster lug.
  • Clover cutout or Colnago script on bottom bracket (or ring of circles on first Supers).
  • Often a clover panto on the brake bridge.
  • Often "Colnago" script or clover on the seat stay caps. Early models had a basic concave seatstay cap.
  • Campagnolo or Colnago dropouts.

There are a few models such as Colnago Sport bikes that are different.

It should be a fun project. I see some Super Record.

I can't say what I'd do with the fork. I might be tempted to track down a good Colnago fork, but your fork has a lot of character.

As always, if you suspect a fork replacement, check the top tube and downtube for crash damage.
Old 02-05-19, 12:08 PM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I was going to suggest perhaps grease on that crown. It looks like it has at least helped protect the chrome on the crown.

Very interesting logo.

You do have a couple of clover cut-outs on the actual frame, right?
Usually:
  • Clover cutout on top of one or both of the headtube lugs. Sometimes also seat cluster lug.
  • Clover cutout or Colnago script on bottom bracket (or ring of circles on first Supers).
  • Often a clover panto on the brake bridge.
  • Often "Colnago" script or clover on the seat stay caps. Early models had a basic concave seatstay cap.
  • Campagnolo or Colnago dropouts.

There are a few models such as Colnago Sport bikes that are different.

It should be a fun project. I see some Super Record.

I can't say what I'd do with the fork. I might be tempted to track down a good Colnago fork, but your fork has a lot of character.

As always, if you suspect a fork replacement, check the top tube and downtube for crash damage.
Thank you CliffordK, I think the bike is legit. I do have the clover in the lower headtube lug and one below the bottom bracket. The seatstay caps are concave and not engraved. The chainstay bridge and the other elements are consistent with the 1978 model descriptions I've seen over the internet. It is fully equipped with Super Record - hubs, derailleurs, etc. The brake levers have been changed with Aero Gran Compe but the seller gave me the originl Super Records as well.
Old 02-05-19, 12:12 PM
CliffordK

It sounds like a wonderful "Barn Find", even with the funky fork which I might keep/restore due to its uniqueness. Hopefully someone will recognize the crown.
Old 02-05-19, 01:38 PM
crank_addict
Banned

I've given a try to see what was beneath the spongy black thing covering the fork crown. To my surprise, that was actually a thick layer of paint that did not stick to the chrome other than in the grooves. Here is actually what the engraving is - two serpents?? I hope that someone has seen that before and could clarify it.

Much more pronounced! Pretty neat.

Got me on branding. Going way back there was a snake in the Italian mark Viscontea or as Visconti of Milan.
Old 02-05-19, 02:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Here is a ‘77 Super fork crown:

Old 02-05-19, 02:06 PM
nomadmax 

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts

Is it two snakes or just one? From here it looks like one snake hissing back toward his/her own tail, note the line inside the left "O". That looks like a continuation of his/her own body. I love these mysteries.
Old 02-05-19, 02:22 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Is it two snakes or just one? From here it looks like one snake hissing back toward his/her own tail, note the line inside the left "O". That looks like a continuation of his/her own body. I love these mysteries.
Agreed, one snake, cool as heck.
Old 02-05-19, 02:32 PM
CliffordK

Have you decided if you're going to do a repaint.

It looks like the fork crown is almost good enough that you could leave it as-is.

I'd probably paint the fork legs to match the rest of the frame.

& keep your snake/snakes.
Old 02-05-19, 02:46 PM
Danj54

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Have you decided if you're going to do a repaint.

It looks like the fork crown is almost good enough that you could leave it as-is.

I'd probably paint the fork legs to match the rest of the frame.

& keep your snake/snakes.
It looks indeed like a single snake that is rather cool so I’ll definitely keep it. I will try to clean the chrome as I’ve already had good surprises on other projects. Will post a foto when this is done.
Old 02-06-19, 11:23 AM
frndlyfire

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Continental, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1981 Schwinn Paramount, 2011 Polygon Helios 700, 2015 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Not sure about the fork myself, but I think this frame is later than a 78.

A 78 should be Nuovo Record, although I realize they might have been replaced,
Did the 78 Colnago come with Nuovo? I tried to find this out a while back and it seemed that most were SR (the SR RD was certainly around in 78). Or was it buyers choice?
Old 02-06-19, 12:58 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Originally Posted by frndlyfire

Did the 78 Colnago come with Nuovo? I tried to find this out a while back and it seemed that most were SR (the SR RD was certainly around in 78). Or was it buyers choice?
Complete bikes dependent on the distributor to respective country and also available as frameset only, giving buyer the choice to build whatever they desired.

Kind of funny these days with collectors. There seems to be a consensus that a Colnago must have a full matched Campy group.

I recall back then and at least in the USA, most were built with a mixed brand of components and wheels. Superbe derailleurs and Modolo brakes were very popular and choice selections. Rare to see a full group and ultra-rare was the pantographed parts.

Here's a selection of brochures courtesy of 2velo
https://2velo.com/colnago-bicycle-catalogs/

Last edited by crank_addict; 02-06-19 at 03:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.