Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Canti brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 04:20 PM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Canti brake questions

So I built a gravel bike about ten years ago. It was set up with bar ends, v-brakes, and Tektro brake levers. The long pull ones. Somewhere along the way the v-brakes got swapped for cantis, mtb XT.
I know the pull was wrong but it seemed to work well. Recently I traded the bar ends and Tektros for Microshift brifters. The new brake levers have no problem pulling the XT cantis but the braking just isn't where I would like.
Maybe I just need new pads. Running Dia-comp right now, I know everyone likes Kool Stops.
What separates good from great cantis? I have a pair of DIa-comp 987s I could swap in. What about the pricier models. Paul, etc.
Old 10-16-18, 04:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Both my hybrid and cyclocross bikes have Avid Shorty 6’s which work quickly and good power. Brake pads are the key as well.
Old 10-16-18, 07:07 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Wide-angle cantilevers that stick out at 90 degree angles from the rim create a lot more leverage with the same amount of cable pull. Low angle cantis that point up at a 45 degree angle from the rim are always atrocious. Don't waste your time and money on low-angle cantis. The brand name or cost of the brakes makes no difference. Only that mechanical advantage of extra leverage makes a difference. The disadvantage of these wide-angle cantilevers is they tend to get in the way because they stick out about 60mm on either side. You'll occasionally scratch your bare leg or foot on them. They make panniers problematic. Mini-V brakes have more leverage and work well with short-pull brifters but they have limited tire clearance. You can also use full sized V-brakes with Problem Solver Travel Agent pull-ratio adapters with short-pull brifters if you need clearance for 2.1" tires or fenders. That combination works well.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 10-16-18 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 10:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Steve
What separates good from great cantis?
How they are set up.
its everything.

I have cantilever brakes from 30 years ago on my gravel and touring bikes and they still work great.
koolstop pads, but I'd figure really any quality pads wpuld be fine.
Old 10-16-18, 10:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Clem von Jones nailed it (Post # 3). Any cantilever of the geometry of the ancient Mafacs will work just fine. My Mafacs on my Peter Mooney let me ride down Alba Road above Santa Cruz, CA in a Pacific winter storm. Down 2000' in 4 miles and windy, Rivers of rainwater running across the road, Not braking near full time was not an option. About half way down, my index fingers were starting to tire and I had t go to two fingers for the rest. I'd had the bike 8 months at that point. After that ride, I was sold on the brakes.

15 years later, I picked up a used Miyata tourer with Shimano cantis. Quite different construction but identical geometry width and angle-wise. Same or slightly better braking, far esaier to work on. They came off that bike after the first ride and went on to the Mooney. They are still there.

The last couple of years I have been upgrading the levers on all my non winter/rain/city bikes with Textro (or Cane Creek) V-brake road levers specifically to reduce total braking power and allow good braking with a healthy, strong squeeze of the lever. I love riding the drops and always have for fast and hairy descents. I love having completely predictable braking. (The pads also sit much further off the rim. Not necessary on a well set up bike with good wheels but still, nice.)

Drawback is that braking power is less from the hoods. Not ideal for someone who spends most if his/her time there, especially in traffic or iffy situations.
Old 10-18-18, 02:17 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Steve
Paul Components -- especially the Neo-Retros -- are great cantis. I have a set of IRD Cafams that I would say are almost as good. Virtually everything else = meh.
Old 10-19-18, 11:57 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Both my hybrid and cyclocross bikes have Avid Shorty 6’s which work quickly and good power. Brake pads are the key as well.
Yup, what he said.
Old 10-19-18, 03:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
mix/match?

Setup? Mechanic? the frame post spacing..

The Mafac Criterium , the short ones and the tandem , long arm

have been on my light touring bike since I built it frame and all in the mid 70s.

When the Mafac Criterium were in short supply when the Cyclocross popularity boomed

a NL company 'spooky' made a newer version
arms a bit longer than the short but not as long as the tandem..

V pull drop levers sacrifice power, MA,for cable pull length ,
but you can use the excess cable pull for mud by making pad to rim clearance bigger..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-19-18 at 03:50 PM.