Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Electric converted vintage bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Electric converted vintage bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 09:41 PM
spinnanz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
A recent hill circuit the bike went better than I'd hoped given I've now only got one gear. To power it, I engaged cruise control set at 20kph, this makes the speed controller vary the power to the motor automatically depending on speed and how hard I am pedaling.

Over the 31km we climbed 769m, with the circuit taking us 1:16. According to Google, it takes about 2:47 on a non electric bike.

Likes For spinnanz:
Old 09-11-20, 09:43 AM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnanz
With a multitude of "retro" and "vintage" style ebikes out there, how many have actual old bikes, converted to electric? Im most of the way through on a conversion using a 1973 Raleigh Sport.
I converted a Miyata road bike using a tongsheng tsddz2 motor. Still need to iron out some issues but fun so far. I have a fuji nevada mountain bike I will do next. Will probably try bbshd for that one.

Likes For danh123:
Old 02-25-21, 07:05 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
I inadvertently started a similar thread today since I am getting ready to convert a vintage bike myself. Chime in there and I will chime in here. Converting my 1988 Shogun Alpine GT with a mid-drive Bafang BBS02B.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

Last edited by casanewt; 02-25-21 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 08:20 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
I'm a bit mystified at the idea of electric assist on lightweight drop-bar bikes - but nothing is ever discovered by being conventional. All the power to you - go for it!

I've done one extremely tame (24V 250W) conversion on a modern bike share bike (which was not originally made with e-assist in mind), and prefer hub motors for their appearance, but I've become very spoiled by the idea of Bafang's torque-sensing bottom brackets. They put PAS sensors to shame, but motor controllers for the six-pin signal are not common at all, and the Bafang BB's are prohibitively expensive.

If you find one of these Bafang BB's cheap, the wires have usually been severed as these index to the left BB cup - haven't been successful re-soldering one of these...yet.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 02-25-21 at 08:32 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 02-26-21, 04:10 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
I'm interested in eventually adding a small motor to my baby; just a little pedal assist to help get me up the steepest hills. I'm completely ignorant, but my thinking is that mounting it in or around the bottom bracket would put the stress where it was designed to have it. I'm hoping batteries will improve in the next 5 - 10 years so it won't take up as much space as they do now.

'Hey, what's in the big pink box?'
Likes For Korina:
Old 02-26-21, 04:42 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm a bit mystified at the idea of electric assist on lightweight drop-bar bikes - but nothing is ever discovered by being conventional. All the power to you - go for it! - Kurt
To see electric (race-geometry) bikes from companies like Pinarello et al is pretty weird. I mean, I get it. The thicker DT isn't fooling anyone, but then, they've slimmed those DT-mounted battery packs considerably in the few years that it's been done. Pretty soon we won't be able to tell which bike is an e-bike and which is just a thicc-tubed carbon race bike. Visually speaking. Replicants, I tell you!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 02-27-21, 12:11 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,801 Times in 2,285 Posts
When the time comes, I'll roll my own. Low trail, 650b electric assist. And it'll plane, baby, it'll plane.

Motor cabinet for Bosch Gen 4 motor system
Old 02-27-21, 07:03 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Changed my mind and decided to convert a different bike. I knew my old motorcycle buddy Michal was a serious mountain biker, but I did not know until a few years ago that he was also a big e-bike builder. Mike had a used Bafang BBS02B 750W he was selling and I jumped on it. He came over today and we built up this 1985 Panasonic ATB. I absolutely love the conversion. I wanted an urban assault bike that could also do gravel rides. I think I will throw some more gravel appropriate tires on it soon, but for now it rules the tarmac.

Likes For casanewt: