Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Multitool

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 05:39 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Multitool

Anybody know of a multitool that includes a torx-20 head?
Old 08-10-20, 05:44 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I just carry a really short screwdriver with replaceable bits in the handle and incluse a torx bit in heh handle storage. Stubby screwdriver with holder in handle was aboyt $8 and torx bits about $2 each or a cheap set for $6 that you can pick & choose out of.
Old 08-10-20, 09:33 PM
tdilf

That’s a good idea. Can you get enough torque with it?

I’m not sure that would work for me - the other week, mid ride, i stopped to lower my seat but i could not get enough torque on the post binder bolt - so had to wait until i got home. One of the reasons i am looking for a new carry while riding.
Old 08-10-20, 10:10 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
You're positive it needs to be Torx T-20? I carry one of these, it's been good to me on a couple of extended multi-month bike tours. But it comes with T-10 and T-25 tools, and the T-25 seems to be the right size to fit all the Torx fasteners I've come across on bikes.

However in my experience if a traditional seatpost binder bolt is slipping, it's a problem with the binder bolt (or the bolt is installed backwards - the side with the serrations should be on the non-drive side). However here in the gravel forum I wouldn't expect to find a traditional binder bolt at all, so I'm really not sure what situation we're facing here. More details please? Maybe a picture?
Old 08-11-20, 06:49 AM
tdilf

My seat post bolt takes a regular #5 allen key. Adjusting my seat during a ride was just an example of how my current tool has failed me during a ride because i could not get enough torque on the bolt to move it. I thought if i am looking for a new multi tool it should include a torx T20 head if possible. Two of my bikes have stems that use T20 bolts and i currently have to carry a seperate T20 (screw driver type) tool in my on board kit.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 08-11-20, 10:31 AM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Got it. I actually really like the Ritchey Torque Key. Put any tools you want in there, they're the standard 1/4" hex driver; but ships with T20 & T25. I'm a bit wary of overtorquing since I got a carbon bike, and put a few Ti and Al screws on it. When I was young and stupid I ruined a carbon handlebar by overtorquing the stem faceplate, can't happen with this.

Obviously this is a torque-limiting tool, and you're mentioning you've needed more torque at times. I can't imagine that the small stem screws would be one of those times.
Old 08-11-20, 12:28 PM
tdilf

I think for an on bike multi tool this looks like a good option for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Ratche...7170310&sr=8-4

I could just get an extra T20 bit and put it where the T25 goes.
Old 08-11-20, 12:32 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
topeak ratchet rocket, so I can put any head in there that I need.

https://www.rei.com/product/114566/t...te-dx-tool-kit

Much of the stuff on a bike doesn't need more than 5Nm (and if you have a carbon bike you'll break things going to high). If you can't undo your seat post binder bolt, it sounds like it is over torqued...
Old 08-11-20, 08:17 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

I have been able to tighten my seatpost binder bolt with my bit holder screwdriver but that is about the limit for it. If yours is slipping maybe use the gritty carbon fiber paste on the post for extra traction? We use it on some aluminum frames that have a tendency to slip and it works great.

I have been thinking about going to one of these Mineral Design tools though for more versatility as I often provide support for a lot of riders on our group rides:

https://www.mineralbikes.com/shop/mini-bar-multi-tool

You can swap in whatever bits you need or add a few loose ones to your bag as well.

PB Swiss offers a similar option that was reviewed here as well:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/10/the-best-bit-based-cycling-multi-tool-shootout-16-tested/
You can get the PB Swiss ones on ebay for $35 or so if you shop around.
Old 08-12-20, 06:20 AM
tdilf

Thanks for the link - lot’s of nice tools reviewed! I think I will be getting one of the mini ratcheting tools with integrated chain tool.
Old 08-14-20, 08:50 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
On most of my bikes I use Acorn tool rolls.

Old 08-15-20, 05:52 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I have been dabbling with replacing my Topeak Hexus with these + a small magnetic bit holder (extension) + 1 tire lever.

Weights a bit more, and doesn't pack as well, but the ratchet is way more useful than clumsy multi-tool keys. Pictured is just the bits I use; it comes 22 total (each is around 10 grams).

SEDY mini ratchet 23 piece
Old 08-16-20, 05:22 PM
dwmckee

I got the Mineral Designs tool on Saturday and I have already used it on a hroip ride. It was easy to use, very light and quite solid. I have no qualms about recommending it and maybe carrying a chai tool and a pair of tire levers too.