Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a road bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-17-20, 07:13 PM
gokhanbas

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4, Trek Allant+ 8s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I had a hybrid fitness bike (Trek FX7.2) for ten years. I have only been biking in summer and fall during this time, usually one or two 20 miles trip per week, with an average speed of 12-13 mph. (For those who know Boston area, I’ve been riding from Lexington to Harvard square and back - fairly flat)

Then, during pandemic, I was introduced to ebikes, which seemed like a great idea. I ended up buying an Allant+ 8s. This purchase pulled me more into the biking world. I’ve been riding almost 40 miles every other day, mostly with lowest level of assist.. It’s an amazing machine, and when I start commuting again, this will be my commuter when possible. But now that I’m deeper in this, and that I’m definitely capable of pushing hard without the pedal assist, I want to get more serious about biking.

I’m 40, I’m just realizing how much I love the experience, and I am in fairly good shape as well. Should I buy a road bike?
And if I do, what should I get? I had great experience with Trek so far, and I’m not a racer. So I was eyeing endurance models; Domane SL5 might be a good fit maybe?

Thank you for reading!
Old 08-17-20, 07:17 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by gokhanbas
Domane SL5 might be a good fit maybe?

Thank you for reading!
That's a great bike... BUY IT.
Old 08-17-20, 08:57 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
You should find a bike that you can potentially use for gravel. I’ve never ridden gravel, so I have no recommendation. But make sure you have enough clearance for wider tires.

I’m only saying this due to your progression from one bike to another as you become more enthused in cycling.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-17-20, 09:20 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
You should find a bike that you can potentially use for gravel. I’ve never ridden gravel, so I have no recommendation. But make sure you have enough clearance for wider tires.

I’m only saying this due to your progression from one bike to another as you become more enthused in cycling.

John
I agree with this. I would recommend topston gravel. It comes with 105 group set so easy to upgrade later if you want. You can slap on some road tires continental 5000 32mm for when you want to go faster on the road. Then put your gravel tires back for the dirt or rough areas etc.. If you want to spend more more down the road you could buy a 2nd wheel set. One for gravel, one for road and put some smaller 28mm tires if you want to go just tad faster than the 32mm. I don't think 28mm road tires will fit the factory gravel rim that comes with the bike.
Old 08-17-20, 10:33 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
The Domane is a solid choice, especially if you’re happy with your Trek experiences. It’s a pretty capable bike. I take mine on everything from decent blacktop to smoothish packed gravel. Good luck finding one, I think there’s still slim pickings at most bike shops.
Old 08-18-20, 05:35 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I bought a Domane SL6 in 2017 and love it, but I had a lower end road bike between my hybrid biking days and buying a pretty high end road bike. You might look at some bikes a few notches below the Domane -though, as others have noted, choices of in stock bikes are still slim.

Last year, I did the two day Seattle to Portland ride and didn't want to ship the Domane from MD to WA, so I rented an aluminium Fuji Sportif that had very similar geometry to my Domane but had a list price of 1/2 the Domane! I used my own seat and had a great 123 mile ride the first day (my longest day ever on a bike) followed by 83 miles on the last day.

I test rode a few other bikes when I chose the Domane (Specialized and Cannondale) equivalents, but had kinda decided to jump to carbon. Still love the Domane but for my riding I overspent compared to that aluminum Fuji.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 08-18-20, 06:26 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Fuji makes a CF version of the Sportif called the grand Fondo---same value as far as I know.

I have an Al Sportif as my rain/work/beat-me-up bike and I love it. Cost me less than $1000 with 105.
Old 08-18-20, 07:03 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Th Domane is a fine choice. You get all the benefits of the endurance fit and you get ISO speed to smooth out the chatter. You could spend less but you specifically chose the SL5 as your starting point, so it would seem you have already begun your homework.

If you have the funds and the bike is available I don't see any reason not to go in that direction.

Sometimes on these forums, it is like it is an all or nothing deal. Worse case scenario, you purchase the bike, you ride the bike, you don't like the bike, you sell the bike. Yes, you take a small financial loss but that's it. Go out buy something else. Not the end of the world. Best case scenario, you like the bike and keep it. Good luck in what ever you decide.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 08-18-20, 07:11 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I wouldn't place a lot of importance on the need for gravel capabilities.... That is of course unless you're actually planning to ride on gravel.

Closest we get to gravel around here is the hardpacked crushed limestone screenings on the rail-trails.... And regular 700c-25 tires do just fine on it.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-18-20, 08:08 AM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Sometimes on these forums, it is like it is an all or nothing deal. Worse case scenario, you purchase the bike, you ride the bike, you don't like the bike, you sell the bike. Yes, you take a small financial loss but that's it. Go out buy something else. Not the end of the world. Best case scenario, you like the bike and keep it. Good luck in what ever you decide.

^ This. Bikes are different than many other hobbies and sports. The Domane or an equivalent is a bike you can grow into, even if it is capable of more than you can throw at it initially. You already know how to ride a bike, so there you go. It won’t assplode or spontaneously combust if you make a mistake. If you’ve got the $$ and want to spend at this level, go for it.

Last edited by Ilbiker; 08-18-20 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Boldface
Old 08-18-20, 09:56 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
short answer yes
Old 08-18-20, 10:24 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If you ride on the road, get a road bike. Clearance for fatter tires is always a good idea. It leaves you with more options later.
Old 08-18-20, 10:54 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
yes - because roadiness is next to godliness
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-18-20, 02:05 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
that domane looks like a very nice bike. I prefer the endurance geometry, not as bent over racy and probably more like your hybrid riding posture. although at 40 you could probably deal with the racier geometry. The Domane is an expensive rig, you could probably get 90% of the bike for less money, but that would be a very nice bike.

Like someone said think of it as an extended test ride. If you really don't like it or want something else sell it and switch to something else. think of it as a life experience.

I have a gravel bike too but that is a different kind of bike. One advantage of gravel bikes is the relaxed geometry. An Endurance bike is probably not too far off.

So you will have a hybrid, ebike, high end carbon, all you need now is a recumbent. Recumbents and ebikes piss a lot of people off on this site for some odd reason.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 08-18-20, 02:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Yes, you should.

Next question?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-18-20, 02:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Try a test ride and see how you like it. Not a ride around the parking lot, and perhaps not a ride from Lexington to Hahvahd and back, but a good 5-10 miles. If the bike speaks to you and says, "Wouldn't you like to ride me every day?" then buy it. And ride it home!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-18-20, 03:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Try a test ride and see how you like it. Not a ride around the parking lot, and perhaps not a ride from Lexington to Hahvahd and back, but a good 5-10 miles. If the bike speaks to you and says, "Wouldn't you like to ride me every day?" then buy it. And ride it home!
Unless you pahked your cah in Hahvahd Yahd.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-18-20, 04:23 PM
nicovlogg

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD4, Ritchey P650b, Cotic Escapade, Colnago C40, Bianchi ?

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Short answer yes but not because of anything related to the road, only because the more bikes, the merrier.
Likes For nicovlogg:
Old 08-18-20, 07:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
You should always get another bike! I would look at a nice titanium all-road/gravel bike personally that way you have plenty of room for wider tires and a little extra comfort and fun on the road and ability to get a little rowdy off the road.
Old 08-18-20, 07:50 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
For the sake of pluralism, i will say no, of course you shouldn't !
Old 08-19-20, 09:43 AM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Domane is a great choice and will give you the flexibility to put on bigger tires if you find yourself wanting to do a little offroad on gravel, packed dirt, crushed rock, etc. I honestly think that kind of bike is the future of this sport, something that can be fast but is also comfortable and flexible to different riding surfaces.

Other bikes to consider in that same vein are the Caynon Endurace, another "endurance geometry" bike like the Domane that might be a little less expensive and lighter than the Domane, but only sold direct.
Old 09-02-20, 11:44 AM
gokhanbas

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4, Trek Allant+ 8s

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First of all, I think I’ve asked the question in a wrong way, but that doesn’t matter anymore.

After debating a lot between Domane and checkpoint, I’ve ordered a Domane SL4 in slate/radioactive red, and I’m picking it up on Friday.
Checkpoint was on my list, as I ride unpaved rail trails as well, and there will be snow and slush here in MA so gravel tires could work better. But from my research, I’ve learned that Domane can handle the terrain I’ve been riding, and it has iso-speed front and back vs Checkpoint only has it on the back, and Domane can even take knobbier tires as well if I absolutely need them. Also Domane geometry appears to be a little more relaxed, and as someone who never rode a road bike I thought that was a plus as well. Anyway, as a result, from my limited knowledge on biking, $2399 for that bike appeared to be a great deal for Domane SL4.

Last edited by gokhanbas; 09-02-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 11:57 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
welcome to the dark side. we have work for you to do.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 09-02-20, 12:14 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
I had a hybrid fitness bike (Trek FX7.2) for ten years. I have only been biking in summer and fall during this time, usually one or two 20 miles trip per week, with an average speed of 12-13 mph. (For those who know Boston area, I’ve been riding from Lexington to Harvard square and back - fairly flat)

Then, during pandemic, I was introduced to ebikes, which seemed like a great idea. I ended up buying an Allant+ 8s. This purchase pulled me more into the biking world. I’ve been riding almost 40 miles every other day, mostly with lowest level of assist.. It’s an amazing machine, and when I start commuting again, this will be my commuter when possible. But now that I’m deeper in this, and that I’m definitely capable of pushing hard without the pedal assist, I want to get more serious about biking.

I’m 40, I’m just realizing how much I love the experience, and I am in fairly good shape as well. Should I buy a road bike?
And if I do, what should I get? I had great experience with Trek so far, and I’m not a racer. So I was eyeing endurance models; Domane SL5 might be a good fit maybe?

Thank you for reading!
If you're happy with your progress so far, sell the e-bike while the market is hot and buy a road bike. As long as you keep riding, your fitness will improve (and may already have) to a point where you don't need the e-bike anymore. You can commute on your hybrid and use the road bike for fitness rides. That's what a lot of people do, and it's easier to maintain 2 bikes instead of 2 bikes plus an e-bike. Good luck!
Old 09-02-20, 06:03 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

Thank you for reading!
If your route you usually ride is flat, buy a single speed. Less maintenance and you can find a nice light steel bike with big tire clearance under $1500

Last edited by jay4usc; 09-02-20 at 09:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.