Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 06:54 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28605 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
There is a landfill down by the Delaware River. It is not higher than the Ebright Azimuth.
Yet.
Old 05-13-20, 06:56 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
You could get these shelving brackets and then you'd get to learn drywall installation as well. Should make for a "fun" time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/THE-ORIG...-R-A/311400627
Old 05-13-20, 07:00 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My wife and I met a guy at a small town convenience store yesterday on our ride. He was changing a flat tire on his truck and we struck up a conversation. Turns out, he had driven 60 miles to do a gravel race course up our way. We had a common acquaintance, so when we got home, my wife told our acquaintance friend that we had met this guy, blah, blah, blah.

Our friend said the guy had gone out on his bike later that afternoon and got hit by a truck and was life-flighted to a trauma center in Springfield, IL. Multiple broken bones.

Be careful out there.
Oh no.
Old 05-13-20, 07:01 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
My wife and I met a guy at a small town convenience store yesterday on our ride. He was changing a flat tire on his truck and we struck up a conversation. Turns out, he had driven 60 miles to do a gravel race course up our way. We had a common acquaintance, so when we got home, my wife told our acquaintance friend that we had met this guy, blah, blah, blah.

Our friend said the guy had gone out on his bike later that afternoon and got hit by a truck and was life-flighted to a trauma center in Springfield, IL. Multiple broken bones.

Be careful out there.
That's both heartbreaking and quite eerie
Old 05-13-20, 07:11 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Oh no.
Originally Posted by abshipp
That's both heartbreaking and quite eerie
IKR, especially because my wife had just been telling him about all of our broken bones.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 05-13-20 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-13-20, 07:35 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28605 Post(s)
Liked 1,856 Times in 1,318 Posts
LAJ

Old 05-13-20, 07:58 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
A Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle lives in PHX apparently. And he just got a new bike!

OMG..that poor bike it looks so small
Likes For ls01:
Old 05-13-20, 08:01 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
anybody have any experience with the Meilan M4 cycling computer? Suppose to be bluetooth and Ant+. My sigma still won’t function properly looking, and I am just looking for a cheap replacement for now.

I really only use the cycling computer for situational awareness. I like to be able to see my speed, and cadence. I use strava for logging my miles, but my phone stays in my back pocket. I have to find a phone mount that can handle my case, and I really don’t want to remove my phone from the case when I ride.
Old 05-13-20, 08:18 AM
ls01
he said member

Be careful out there.
That sucks.
Old 05-13-20, 08:24 AM
ls01
he said member

Been watching some guitar, how to play videos, on youtube. While I always liked Kieth Richard's and the Stones , his alt tunings, have always put me off. Since I have an abundance of guitars I decided to make one of them a "g" and been screwing around with his stuff. I am in awe of how malleable is style is. Lots of fun.
Old 05-13-20, 08:25 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Well but which sorts work best? I have started building Lego again and need a place to put the completed models after we move instead of littering the house with them.
How heavy are they? If you plan to mount wood shelving I would say you definitely need to find the wall studs as opposed to just using anchors in the sheet rock.
Old 05-13-20, 08:28 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
anybody have any experience with the Meilan M4 cycling computer? Suppose to be bluetooth and Ant+. My sigma still won’t function properly looking, and I am just looking for a cheap replacement for now.

I really only use the cycling computer for situational awareness. I like to be able to see my speed, and cadence. I use strava for logging my miles, but my phone stays in my back pocket. I have to find a phone mount that can handle my case, and I really don’t want to remove my phone from the case when I ride.
Old 05-13-20, 08:30 AM
BillyD
Administrator

I think it's an aesthetic choice. Any properly-installed shelf (see LAJ 's post) will work. I've used curios, track bracket, and floating. Track bracket is nice because you can change the shelf configuration easily, but it can look a little industrial.
This.
Old 05-13-20, 08:35 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by ls01
OMG..that poor bike it looks so small
It's carbon, it will be fine.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-13-20, 09:03 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
How heavy are they? If you plan to mount wood shelving I would say you definitely need to find the wall studs as opposed to just using anchors in the sheet rock.
Not heavy - they’re a couple of pounds max. Still, I’ll be finding the studs prior to doing anything. The floating look would be ideal, and it’s not like anything electronic or glass would be going on them in a worst-case scenario.
Old 05-13-20, 09:24 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Not heavy - they’re a couple of pounds max. Still, I’ll be finding the studs prior to doing anything. The floating look would be ideal, and it’s not like anything electronic or glass would be going on them in a worst-case scenario.
I installed a fireplace mantle in one of my houses that was floating. However, I did build a bit of infrastructure into the wall first. You could probably stand on the thing, if you were so inclined.
Old 05-13-20, 09:48 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11400 Post(s)
Liked 4,748 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06

Originally Posted by bampilot06

Just Garmin, here. I was going to pull the trigger on something different, but I decided I've had many trouble free years with Garmin, so I went with the 520 Plus.
Old 05-13-20, 09:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11400 Post(s)
Liked 4,748 Times in 2,764 Posts
Love me some idiots.
Old 05-13-20, 10:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If I click "Play" I just know that I'm going to want to burn it all down, so I'll just skip it.
Old 05-13-20, 10:21 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

@datlas - The family in CT mentioned that my grandmother was having issues seeing people in Skype/Zoom calls on the phone screens people were taking to her, so I’m shipping her my old laptop. I say this because at the same time I dug out my old Surface Book, which has a discrete graphics card and will give CVRcade a try tomorrow morning. First impression is that the UI is a hot mess, and it might functionally require a keyboard across the handlebars. But I’ll see how it goes in the morning.
Old 05-13-20, 10:22 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Don't be a Karen.
Likes For ericy:
Old 05-13-20, 10:45 AM
WhyFi

I tried a novel thing today - I decided to ride with purpose and maintain a cruising wattage, actively using the power meter that I've had for a couple years.

What I learned is that, left to my own devices, I'm not terribly disciplined. On the flats, I tend to accelerate with good effort, but when I get up to speed, I tend to spin at 100+ and then ease off the power - that puts me right at my endurance effort, which would be great if I were going out for 3+ hours, I guess, but not so much for shorter rides or when, you know, tryin' to get stronger. Anyway, I found that just shifting once more, keeping the pedals a little heavier and cadence in the 95-100 range, made it easy for me to stay at my target of ~90%. Then, of course, there were the undulations and downhills. I'm prolly not the only one that slacks off and enjoys the free ride, but it sure makes a difference when you stay on the pedals.
Old 05-13-20, 10:52 AM
WhyFi

Oh, and then, prolly about an hour and twenty in to the ride, Pssst Sssst Sssst Sssst.

Took a pretty good cut to the front tire, about 1/4", and it just wouldn't seal. Tried out a bacon strip and that got me a couple miles, but again, the cut was just a little too big and it wanted to push out. Rather than resort to a tube, I gave it one more try - this time I tied the strip in a knot and then jammed it in the cut, getting the knot inside of the carcass. That did the trick and held pressure the rest of the way home. Undecided as to whether I'll keep it in there and see how it fares or if I'll pull the tire and internally patch... I'm also tempted to pop on the new tires that I have waiting in the wings, but the whole reason for waiting on them was to spare them from the debris that's still on the road, which is obviously still a problem.
Old 05-13-20, 10:54 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,243 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I tried a novel thing today - I decided to ride with purpose and maintain a cruising wattage, actively using the power meter that I've had for a couple years.

What I learned is that, left to my own devices, I'm not terribly disciplined. On the flats, I tend to accelerate with good effort, but when I get up to speed, I tend to spin at 100+ and then ease off the power - that puts me right at my endurance effort, which would be great if I were going out for 3+ hours, I guess, but not so much for shorter rides or when, you know, tryin' to get stronger. Anyway, I found that just shifting once more, keeping the pedals a little heavier and cadence in the 95-100 range, made it easy for me to stay at my target of ~90%. Then, of course, there were the undulations and downhills. I'm prolly not the only one that slacks off and enjoys the free ride, but it sure makes a difference when you stay on the pedals.
Kudos. I did something similar yesterday, but instead of power data I used relative pressure on my hands.

The SLT is my most aggressive fit, with a steep seat tube angle and probably 4" of drop from the saddle to the tops of the bars, so if I don't keep the pedals heavy I can get a lot of pressure on my hands. The end result was my heart rate about 10-15 bpm over my usual endurance effort and probably my quickest ride of the year in average speed terms.
Old 05-13-20, 10:55 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi

Welcome to my world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.