Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Your other form of transportation - Singlespeed & Fixed Gear.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-14, 06:11 AM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

This is a krackedskulls drop through board, from which you can see at www.krackedskulls.com "not trying to shill just giving props to a good board builder!!!!"
its my second one, first one being a kracked skulls as well. Both are drop through designs, currently running hardware from my first board. 70mm wheels which at some point would like to upgrade to 90 or 100mm wheels.

this board uses less wood in favor of more glass to make it more flexible while being lighter.

This is my older board, it got destroyed because i was actually using it as a commuter a few years ago when i was getting off work and i couldnt get a ride home during a rain storm in phoenix. 7 mile ride in a downpour killed the board, it started crack and splinter in weird places. made me sad
loved it, it was much stiffer and a little bit shorter which made sliding or doing 180's easier, my current board has allot of flex and i think a larger wheel will make rolling easier while preventing deck touch to the ground.

hoping this kicks off, doesnt have to be a board, could be a tricycle or roller blades a bmx, mtb, dirtbike, a car or a motorcycle or even the bus you use lol! dont care, we should share more not just in our ss/fg/geared hobbies. Just things to share, like the geared bike thread...

also sorry that last photo is upside down....stupid nokia/wm8. garbage mobile os ever created. cant wait to go back to android.

Last edited by GENESTARWIND; 08-16-14 at 06:20 AM.
Old 08-16-14, 06:19 AM
murrellington

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I had my old picture of when I used to skate. I had a stack of like 15 snapped decks one on top of the other. It looked pretty cool. I don't skate anymore though.

Right now I use an old 1991 Honda accord. However, when I get back to the states from Germany on Monday, I'll be shopping around for a 2012 VW Jetta.
Old 08-16-14, 06:22 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way there are so many good long board skaters here in Stuttgart. I went out skating with this girl (my first time on a longboard) and everyone here was like pro. Bombing hills sliding around corners at full speed. 180s and shove its. Even the girls were shredding. On this day I wish I had my trick board.
San Diego has tons of skaters but all street. I rarely see downhillers on long boards. They usually just cruise the boardwalk at the beach.
Old 08-16-14, 06:29 AM
GENESTARWIND

pictures pictures pictures!!!! describe em post em ect. just like the ssfg pic thread ect..

its up to everyone if they want this to live or it will dwindle and fall back like all other threads that dont get used.
Old 08-16-14, 06:48 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I wish I could post pictures. I don't have internet here except on my phone. And when I try to upload pics on here, it lets me select them but then there is no button to submit. So unfortunately no pics. But I look forward to other peoples pics on here.
Old 08-16-14, 07:00 AM
GENESTARWIND

try an image hosting service like tiny pic or imgur. you upload a photo via phone , then are given hosting link. for forums ect. then copy paste with phone and boom!@ just make sure you copy paste the one labeled forum.

edit: also dont use the mobile version if you can use the desktop version.

longer process but it will allow.
Old 08-16-14, 07:05 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The board I rode through high school. Wish I had a picture of it. My dad threw it in the garbage when I was off to college. I'm still traumatized.

Old 08-16-14, 07:13 AM
GENESTARWIND

i had an old fish tail when i was around 12 or 13 maybe.. i dont really remember, it was super old... i let someone ride it and he cracked it in half... i was so mad.
Old 08-16-14, 10:15 AM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife really wants to learn to skateboard. You guys know of a good starter board for her? Something just to get around our neighborhood sidewalks on?

I'm jealous of you guys and your skateboards!!! I'm useless on a skateboard. I had severe, chronic ear infections as a child and early teenager and it has damaged my inner ear. I pretty much have zero balance, get immediately car sick and hate the ocean (which is unfortunate because I love the water). LOL!
Old 08-16-14, 11:00 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heymatthew
My wife really wants to learn to skateboard. You guys know of a good starter board for her? Something just to get around our neighborhood sidewalks on?

I'm jealous of you guys and your skateboards!!! I'm useless on a skateboard. I had severe, chronic ear infections as a child and early teenager and it has damaged my inner ear. I pretty much have zero balance, get immediately car sick and hate the ocean (which is unfortunate because I love the water). LOL!
Good starter board assuming your wife just wants to cruise around with no tricks would be a 8.5 or wider deck(brand is just preference, avoid the carbon layer hype crap), some wide trucks (149s are my preference), then some big romper gel wheels like 65mm. Thats pretty much how my beer getter is set up and it can roll over anything.
Old 08-16-14, 11:15 AM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huffandstuff
Good starter board assuming your wife just wants to cruise around with no tricks would be a 8.5 or wider deck(brand is just preference, avoid the carbon layer hype crap), some wide trucks (149s are my preference), then some big romper gel wheels like 65mm. Thats pretty much how my beer getter is set up and it can roll over anything.
Thanks! I appreciate that a lot. I'm thinking of getting her one for Christmas. It'll be totally unexpected but she'll love it.
Old 08-16-14, 01:11 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a great recommendation. Wider deck foot easier balance and big gel wheels so she won't eat **** every time she rides over a small pebble. Most skate shops have their own decks which are about 40% cheaper than name brands and they function just as well.
Old 08-16-14, 03:03 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I don't do tricks, I just like to cruise around. I should probably get a LDP board but I haven't been riding much so its not really worth it. If I move to California and ride often I'll invest.
@GENESTARWIND I need a more flexible board, the ones I have are tanks. I weigh 195 so I can't go too flexible.

Here is my Supermoto:

Here is the way my car used to look, its been dismantled since:
Old 08-16-14, 05:06 PM
Timmy666

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been doing a lot more skating than riding my bike lately. It's way more fun to ollie up curbs and bomb hills then constantly pedaling in the street. I even record my rides and try to go further than I have on my bike. last month I skated a total of 135 miles.

Old 08-16-14, 05:22 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy666
Been doing a lot more skating than riding my bike lately. It's way more fun to ollie up curbs and bomb hills then constantly pedaling in the street. I even record my rides and try to go further than I have on my bike. last month I skated a total of 135 miles.

That doesn't sound like any fun. I'd rather peddle. But I guess skating for me was always finding a stair set and doing tricks down it or going to skateparks. I used to hate using my board for transportation.
Old 08-16-14, 08:46 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Yep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nca_zps06a0b373.jpg (44.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-16-14, 08:48 PM
Timmy666

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
That doesn't sound like any fun. I'd rather peddle. But I guess skating for me was always finding a stair set and doing tricks down it or going to skateparks. I used to hate using my board for transportation.
I skate my local park all the time. Drops aren't very fun though since I broke my ankle. This is just something I do at night when I really want to skate but it's too dark to see at the park. Plus you stay a lot cooler without the sun beating down on you and there's almost no cars. Riding a 'normal' board as transportation does suck, but with big soft wheels and swiss bearings, you're cruisin'. Music makes all the difference as well. I guess I just like to pretend I'm Keith Hufnagel pushing really fast through the city and ollie-ing/manualing over whatever is in my way.
Old 08-16-14, 09:22 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My baby

I been skating forever and that's always gonna be my first love, cycling is only my mistress
Old 08-16-14, 09:28 PM
sheepdog84
derpin'

Bikes: 2014 Stainless Steel Firefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ye olde e30
Old 08-16-14, 09:36 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Me and my MG ZR160

1.8 litre, 160 hp, weights about a ton and goes like a cut cat. You didn't get them in America, we only got 48 in Australia but they're as common as bat**** in the UK. Great little beast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mgme.jpg (104.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-16-14, 11:14 PM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@thedapperest: no noseslides, or is that tailslides? yeah I was a boardslide kind of guy too. Surprised so many people here also skate. I guess we just love wheels.
@sheepdog84: I'm loving that BMW!
@europa: so that's what you look like. Hey I never noticed you were from Australia. I live on Adelaide ave in San Diego. Lol
Old 08-17-14, 12:27 AM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murrellington
@thedapperest: no noseslides, or is that tailslides? yeah I was a boardslide kind of guy too. Surprised so many people here also skate. I guess we just love wheels.
@sheepdog84: I'm loving that BMW!
@europa: so that's what you look like. Hey I never noticed you were from Australia. I live on Adelaide ave in San Diego. Lol
I've been trying forever, I can't get the physics behind it, I stick every time, same with krooked grinds :/
Old 08-17-14, 12:43 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
*Waits for somebody to post a ripstik

As an avid longboarder:

kracked skulls = the kilo tt of longboarding
The longboard definition of cheap & dependable ala good beginner board.

I've had numerous longboards, even the god-awful and expensive bamboo loaded boards and this has been my favorite longboard of all time: the bustin strike.
I preordered it for dirt cheap before bustin was "discovered", making it my best purchase ever.
~I'll get pictures of it in better light.

Also as a PSA for you guys riding skateboards/ longboards: buy bones swiss bearings (no bones red chinacrap)! They're super smooth, rebuildable and well worth the investment!

Posting cars too?
Here's my "daily" as in I rarely drive it because I commute by bike and my wife drives it mostly to keep it from sitting:

Last edited by Leukybear; 08-17-14 at 12:53 AM. Reason: HEHE YOU DON'T NEED MY LICENSE PLATE NUMBER!
Old 08-17-14, 12:59 AM
murrellington

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have an m3 and don't drive it? What's wrong with you!!! You probably just need a nice car to fit in with the others in La Jolla. Lol.
Old 08-17-14, 01:08 AM
sheepdog84
derpin'

Bikes: 2014 Stainless Steel Firefly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear

the M stands for moist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.