Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Steel Stumpjumper Touring Rig... Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Steel Stumpjumper Touring Rig... Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 02:14 PM
digitalbicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balindamood
Actually, the older Specialized MTB's (1986 and before) had all the braze-ons for touring (fenders, front racks, etc). Should work great.
Man, I wish that were true. My 1986 Stumpjumper Sport that's slowly being converted into a tourer doesn't have front rack brazeons, only has one pair eyelets front and rear, although it does have threaded fender mounts on the fork crown and brake bridge. I'll clamp on the front rack to the fork blades and use hose clamps to add a third water bottle cage, which is perfectly functional, but I do prefer the brazeons to clamps.

As for the OP, go for it!
Old 05-17-09, 03:24 PM
rufus

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't you just mount both the rack and fenders to the same braze-on?

that's what I did with the rear rack pn my Stumpy. Rack on the inside, fender stays to the outside.
Old 05-17-09, 07:21 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
bigwoo,

Thanks for the comments. I'm really loving that bike, even though all my touring plans for the last three years have invariably fallen through. Both motorcycle and bicycle, no less.

I'm discovering a real fascination with old mountain bikes . . . . and considering I've always been a hard core roadie, that kinda surprises me. There's something about the lines and beauty of the old hard nose/hard tail bikes that really compels me to keep building. I've gotten that Fisher RG-7 running nicely, even through it's not completely period, the Diamondback is about half done, and there's a Raleigh M30 frameset sitting in the attic awaiting a repair on one brake pivot and some figuring what I'd like to do with that.

The nicest part of vintage MTB collecting is that all three of the above were free, and even that Bianchi (75% of the original is in the finished bike) only ran me $30.00.

Now, if I could only do that with Rossins . . . . . . . .

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-22-10, 08:07 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. But, I've got 3 old Stumpy frames in the garage. An 83, 85 and 86 complete. As a MTB they're obsolete. But I just can't bear to sell them. So, now I'm trying to resurect them. Anything new happen on the vintage MTB/Tour scene in the last year?
Old 07-22-10, 09:07 AM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since your're bringing this thread back from the dead, I'll add to it by posting a pic of my bike:

I was just trying to build a bike that would hold my weight and size. I took the fenders off a Ross 5-speed cruiser because I liked them and added a rack. I had no idea I was building a touring bike, but hey I suppose it'd work for that. The Schwinn Frontier is a nice lugged frame that I bought to flip, but ended up riding it on my lunch hour and liked it too much to part with. It's a tad small for me, but until I find a mtb frame closer to my size I'm keeping this one. I wonder if I'll get pedal strike if I use panniers with this?

*edit* we had our helmets up for the photo, and it was hot out so we were letting air get to the top of our heads. Normally we ride with them down and on the right way.
Old 07-22-10, 12:58 PM
Stanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oddly enough, I just bought a converted Stumpjumper today. Pics to come later.
Old 07-22-10, 02:34 PM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an '84 Schwinn Sierra that's too big for me as a MTB but sized right for street riding that I set up as a touring/commuting rig. It's not all Cro-Moly, just the main tubes, but it works really well in that role. It's nearly as fast as my Univega Viva Sport, and way more comfortable for distance rides. It's amazing how much extra comfort a large Cro-Mo frame imparts.

I think it's a fantastic idea... obviously.
Old 07-22-10, 02:38 PM
brockd15 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fasteryoufool
I have an '84 Schwinn Sierra that's too big for me as a MTB but sized right for street riding that I set up as a touring/commuting rig. It's not all Cro-Moly, just the main tubes, but it works really well in that role. It's nearly as fast as my Univega Viva Sport, and way more comfortable for distance rides. It's amazing how much extra comfort a large Cro-Mo frame imparts.

I think it's a fantastic idea... obviously.
Happen to have any pictures? I've got an '86 (if I remember right) Schwinn High Sierra that I bought to turn into my wife's touring bike.

Last edited by brockd15; 01-19-11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-22-10, 04:32 PM
cs1

Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
Since your're bringing this thread back from the dead, I'll add to it by posting a pic of my bike:

I was just trying to build a bike that would hold my weight and size. I took the fenders off a Ross 5-speed cruiser because I liked them and added a rack. I had no idea I was building a touring bike, but hey I suppose it'd work for that. The Schwinn Frontier is a nice lugged frame that I bought to flip, but ended up riding it on my lunch hour and liked it too much to part with. It's a tad small for me, but until I find a mtb frame closer to my size I'm keeping this one. I wonder if I'll get pedal strike if I use panniers with this?

*edit* we had our helmets up for the photo, and it was hot out so we were letting air get to the top of our heads. Normally we ride with them down and on the right way.
BigPolishJimmy is the best name I've ever heard. I'm changing mine to SkinnyMickTimmy.
Old 07-22-10, 05:29 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,110 Posts
Interesting thoughts and conversions! I was wondering what to do with my 97 RockHopper. I have been looking for a front suspension fork that was reasonable in price, but haven't found one with a steerer that is 9.5" long or longer. I used it in 2008 as a commuter cause I couldn't climb the hill to my house on 40/24 gearing after 30 years of not biking. Here is what it looked like at the end of 2008. Looks like I am part way there to a touring bike!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-22-10, 06:01 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
Here's my 1988 Stumpy. The bars are Porteur from VO with about an inch cut off the ends.
Old 07-22-10, 06:25 PM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
Happen to have any pictures? I've got an '84 (if I remember right) Schwinn High Sierra that I bought to turn into my wife's touring bike.
I don't have any recent ones, but this is it:

I've since added a rear fender, changed out the grips for some cheapie Giant foamies, added a 2nd headlight, a gel saddle I swiped off a kids BMX bike, and a trailer hitch.

The tires are Forte Slick City ST's from Performance Bike, 650 x 1.25", I run them at ~90 PSI.

Almost forgot: I also added a frame pump.

Last edited by Fasteryoufool; 07-22-10 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-23-10, 06:24 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 45 Posts
I toyed with the idea to use a MTB frame as a touring rig after I put my local pond finder (fishing bike) together 3 years ago. I can really load this rig down with weight and still go off road with out issues so I thought building one for the road would be fun. I went as far as picking up a few nice sets of wheels with Shimano XT and Deore hubs in both 8 and 9 speeds and a few nice cranksets with XT and Deore components to round out the drivetrains, but I haven't found a frame yet at least not one big enough for road use.
Glenn
PS the chain has been replaced with the right number of links and the stem has been replaced with one that has more of a upright position because of back issues I have.

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 07-23-10 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-11-12, 05:19 PM
cs1

Originally Posted by Straightblock
Sounds like a great idea. Here's my Stumpy commuter, posing in front of the ever-popular white garage door:

Little late to the party but that is nice.
Old 04-11-12, 07:12 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
I'm glad you revived this thread, there are some great bikes here and I missed it the first time around. Funny how this topic never goes out of fashion, there have been several recent threads both here, and in the touring forum.
Old 04-11-12, 07:32 PM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, this is a great one to have dusted off. Very interesting. What happened to the MTBs in the 90's that makes the 80's frames the ones to get? Or is it just that the whole thing emerged in the mid-80's and this is C&V?
Old 04-11-12, 07:54 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I think the 90's bikes had stiffer geometry, and after a while nearly all of them had some type of suspension.
Old 04-11-12, 07:58 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
I think the top tubes grew a bit in the 90's, and the chainstays got shorter. For what it's worth, I've done both, and I'm leaning back in the direction of an early 90's bike. I converted a 90 Rockhopper and then moved to a smaller 87 High Sierra. The HS has a much more relaxed geometry, which is fine when the racks are empty, but it's a pig when loaded. The Rockhopper is livelier and more fun all around.
Old 04-12-12, 09:13 PM
ish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
90s bikes also usually had fewer rack / water bottle mounts, and 1 1/8" zero or 5 degree threadless stems rather than 1" riser quill stems.
Old 04-12-12, 09:23 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up this rig recently. It's a Ross Force One.

Old 04-12-12, 10:19 PM
nikku 

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I was one of those who posted recently about using a vintage MTB as a commuter / tourer. Found an '87 Mongoose ATB in original condition that has fit the bill nicely. I'm getting ready to redo the cables, add racks, new tires (Schwalbe Big Apples), new chain and cassette...and that's about it. Probably fenders at some point. Was thinking of adding drop bars, but just don't see the need to. This is not, and will not be my "go fast" bike, I already have a couple of those. It will be my "ride the local hike 'n bike trail home after dark" bike.

To say it has relaxed geometry is an understatement! But it certainly inspires confidence.
Old 04-12-12, 10:32 PM
WickedThump

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

I was looking at the pic of the Stumpjumper, then glanced at my Trek 1.1 (road bike). The frame geometry is very similar . The main difference is the sloping top tube, but the head and seat angles are very close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike2 002.jpg (65.7 KB, 102 views)
Old 04-13-12, 02:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 869 Posts
With respect to size and geometry, and noting all of the good obserations here, I will weigh in on this conversion to drop bars.

I would first advise selecting a frame that's on the large size, in order to compensate for the shortening effect on the top tube that the older MTB seat angle geometry causes.

And, as far as the frame's head angle, the very relaxed 70-71 degree head angles of these mtb's won't give such solid handling with a long stem and road bar, so again a larger frame size is advised, particularly with the older frames as i believe Chris mentioned. A 70-90mm (horizontally) neck sounds about right to me.

And I would prefer to go with the shorter stays of the later bikes unless I needed heel clearance for panniers.

The Trek 1.1 head angle should be at least 2 degrees steeper than any mtb's, but the seat angle (and thus fit) is similar on the later mtb's starting around '88 to '90 or so, depending on the bike. So, the Trek will steer well with a longer stem than will an mtb frame.

Last edited by dddd; 04-13-12 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-13-12, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
The frame geometry changed from the early Miyata made ones in the late 70s, which were ,
more Repack schwinn cruiser based, to something that climbed in dirt better.

repaired an old SJ sport[dropout replacement], Its my studded tire ice bike now,
Drum brakes , Mustache bars ..

Long chainstays for a loaded touring bike are an asset. weight on the front end
makes a touring bike more stable.

A stable bike would let your attention wander to the nature you ride thru,
which seems why the tour is done.

Upright posture , to look around better..
Old 04-13-12, 02:48 PM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up a Hardrock that is slightly smaller than I normally ride, fitted with slicks, and gripshift (ugh). It is remarkably fun to ride, and it's a bit small for me, so I have no qualms jumping it over curbs etc when city riding. NO racks/fenders etc, but I'm thinking I should keep it as a "borrow bike".