Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Older Dahon on CL, Can you help me?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 08:02 AM
Tunnelrat81

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm on the lookout for a good but basic folder to get for my Dad to take with him on the road for work. He doesn't have tons of space but I think he'd be able to fit a folder somewhere and it would give him the ability to exercise and explore a bit when he's in new territories with some time on his hands. I found this listing fairly close by and am planning on driving down to take a look at it after work today.

I don't know anything about folders, so I feel like I'm going into this shopping a little bit blind. I'd love to get some help from those of you who know. Is there anything specific to folders that I should look for. I assume the frame and headset locks should fasten securely and not move when locked etc. right? Is there anything else I should watch for?

I don't know the year, but it's a Dahon stow-away, and appears to be in really great shape. Looks like it's a 1x7 gearing (single chainring). His description doesn't go into any detail, but here are the pictures he has up. He's asking $145.

-Jeremy

https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...10729-1501.jpg

https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...10729-1502.jpg

https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/...10729-1501.jpg

Last edited by Tunnelrat81; 10-25-11 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-25-11, 08:08 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats a real old bike somewhat .. no spares basically ...
its flexy and doesnt ride all that well....

Having said that ...if somebody has a real interest in restoring an old folder to brandnew condition than its a great bike to work with...
Its like old english cars.... they have certainly a cool look and mystic about them, but any honda civic runs circles around them with half the gas and effort ...

If you find a stainless model from that era the 150 dlr would be a bargain ... again for collecting purpose

you will do MUCH better with a more modern 20 inch Dahon like a speed d 7 ... might be a little more money, but not much usually
thor
Old 10-25-11, 08:33 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a bike to collect, not to ride. I had something like it and gave it to a friend and got some newer and lighter folders. It can of course be used, but most peopel would very soon stop riding it since it is a bit clunky and heavy and..
Old 10-25-11, 10:29 AM
brakemeister
New usename ThorUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its similar but than again not similar at all to a raleigh 20 ... those weigh upwards of 40 lbs ... have horrible bearings and what else not...
However with a lot of brain and money they can be "restored/modded" to a very likeable good solid riding bike with all the quirks of a well restored british sports car ....
Money wise .... for daily riding not a good deal ... but owners pride in restoring ..well worth it ...
Having said that I would rather restore a twenty than these older Dahons

thor
Old 10-27-11, 11:11 AM
Steve M.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have one of these, a few years older. It's a bit of a tank and the dirty bits are on the outside, which can make a difference if dad has to lug the thing around. But for stashing in a truck or something, it would be OK. It rides a bit like a toy bike, whereas my Brompton feels like a real bike. But my kid likes it and I don't scorn it.
Old 10-27-11, 11:31 AM
Diode100

Bikes: 2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine; 3sp Presto-Lite; Occasional Access to 6sp Brompton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's got great charm, but I think Thor and others are right, find a nice modern dahon, lighter, comfy, easy to ride, and your old man will be cruising the neighbourhoods in no time.