Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Staying in motels on rides

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Staying in motels on rides

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 05:13 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I'm planning on a credit card camping ride this spring along the C&O/GAP to Meyersdale PA. That Super8 at Hancock was one of the planned stops. I see the reviews online of it, how did you like the hotel?
Stayed there the last three years when passing through. No problems any time. It's a little dated but its safe, cheap, and there is a breakfast (make waffles, small selection of cereal, oatmeal, fruit, juices and some pastries etc), not elaborate but it serves its purpose. Wi-fi, microwave, and small frig in the room. Most of the time there was coffee in the lobby. It is up the hill about a 2-3 minute ride from everything else. You can walk back down into "town" for dinner/drinks/hangout etc but I chose to ride down.

Last edited by u235; 01-20-20 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 05:52 PM
Bostonwheeler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few tips for bringing a bike with you to a hotel/motel:
  • Always bring your own lock. Even if the hotel/motel has a secure storage room, any guest can probably request the key and get access.
  • Wipe down the bike tires with a rag prior to bringing the bike inside, so you don't soil the carpet in the lobby or hallways.
  • Bring a large plastic garbage bag, and slice it open so that you have a long sheet of plastic. If you are able to bring the bike into your room, lay out the bag and park the bike so that the tires and drive train are on the plastic, preventing the bike from making any mess on the hotel carpet.
  • If you're staying in a nice B&B (as opposed to hotel/motel), please don't bring the bike into your room unless you have been given explicit permission to do so. Such places usually have a garage or basement area where you can lock up your bike.
Old 01-20-20, 07:03 PM
Dave P

Bikes: Trek Madone, Niner Air 9, Salsa Vaya, Lotus Unique

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hey UniChris:

Like the majority of posters on your thread, I've never had any serious problems bringing my bike into hotel rooms. This would include Arizona, California and Hawaii.

Of note were Waikiki, HI and Bisbee, AZ.

The high-rise Ilikai Hotel in Waikiki asked that all bicycles be transported on the elevators designated for beach-goers and swimmers. I thought that was kind of them. I'd rather wait 15 minutes for the "unwashed elevator," than ride with the clean folks.

As strange as it sounds, "Old Bisbee," AZ, seemingly, has developed a negative attitude over bicycles in rooms (and perhaps cyclists, in general). The past 2 times I've stayed there during 2 day event rides, the innkeepers have been adamant about keeping our bikes out of their rooms. Granted, the rooms are typically very small, but there was an attitude change, for sure. Luckily, they have found somewhere "secure" to store the bikes overnight. As Johnny Rotten once said, "...'cause tourists are money."

I typically use the side entrances to all hotels to get my bike to my room. Even when spotted (like always), no one has ever said a word. I never dirty the room with bike grease/dirt, and always leave a tip for housekeeping.

I always pay in advance, so I've never had a problem checking out super early. Anymore, it seems officially checking out at the desk is an annoyance to the staff. I've never had an issue with hotel staffers when arriving a bit grimy and rank, either.

If for some reason, I must use an elevator with my bike, I always sit and wait until there are no other passengers riding with me.

As mentioned earlier, I would never leave my bike outside. "Sir, you can lock your bike to that rack out front..." Forget it! Thieves look for bikes locked inside of cars quite commonly, as well. I would never do that, either.

Cool thread, and best of travels to you!
Old 01-20-20, 07:25 PM
notmyke

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Never had an issue with bringing bike to room, except in Whistler, BC, which was opposed to the mountain bikers' steeds fouling up the rooms.
Given that they knew that cyclists (MTB mostly) were a significant part of their clientele, though, they had a really good bike-check / valet system - not just a storage room.

In typical hotels, I make a point of carrying my bike through the lobby - even clean, the bike can leave subtle tire-tracks. If nothing else, shows the staff that I'm trying to be careful and respectful of their property. Usually get a comment out of the front desk if they're not busy ("how was the ride?"; "how far did you go today"; etc.), so they seem cool with it.
Likes For notmyke:
Old 01-20-20, 08:27 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I was thinking that I wouldn't even ask, I would just check-in and take my bike to my room.

Absolutely no way would I leave my bike out of my sight overnight.
I'm with you. My bike is way too valuable to leave it out of sight. Even when I stop to eat somewhere, the bike is right outside the window of the restaurant in my plain view. I won't have it any other way.
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-21-20, 05:49 AM
InfinityMPG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Hotels and motels I generally just bring my bike in without asking and nobody says anything.
Same here. They can probably pick up on the cues of me cycling there (cycling jersey, tights, sweat, helmet head); but if you ask an employee if it's okay to bring in a bike, then they may be forced to refer to an official policy or seek out a manager, whereas if you're simply responsible and keep your bike from getting the room dirty, there shouldn't be a problem. It's like Leave-No-Trace Camping. Be clean, pick up after yourself, respect the space.

OP's questions have mostly been answered, I'll just add a couple things: a person above said you should book in advance and get agreements in writing. That may apply for Airbnb, but I disagree in the case of hotels and motels. When I hotel tour (places bike-toured: California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana), I do not book rooms in advance because I do not know exactly how far I'll ride, and it works out. I've run into hotels with no rooms left, but there are always more hotels nearby. I leave a little in my physical "tank" for the hotel search, just in case, and I decide on-the-fly which city or town ahead looks like a good place to stop.

If a hotel ever were to tell me that I cannot bring my bike inside (it has never happened yet), I would just go to another hotel. I do not travel with a lock because it's a waste of weight, but that means that I have to keep my bike in sight, which means in my hotel room.

As for early check-out, it was suggested already, but just pay in advance and tell them your plans. One place in particular put out a light breakfast just for me since I told them I'd be gone before their normal breakfast hours. In my experience, places tend to be nice when they know you're just going to be there to shower, sleep, and head out early. Be nice back, of course
Likes For InfinityMPG:
Old 01-28-20, 11:15 AM
Batstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
Bad experience leads to feel good ending

Just wanted share this article as it relates to the discussion here. A Japanese tourist who was in the midst of a 9-month cycling tour through Canada/USA, had his custom bike stolen outside a hotel in Hinton, AB. Nice to know that the cycling community reached out and got him back in the saddle.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...port-1.5442456
Old 01-28-20, 11:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
I'm with you. My bike is way too valuable to leave it out of sight.
Those of us who tour and camp don't have a choice. Certainly would never leave it locked outside a motel room, but there are plenty of other situations where I cannot keep sight of my bike at all times. (E.g., Using the head while riding the Mickelson Trail in the middle of nowhere SD.) I practice realistic risk assessment.
Old 01-28-20, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Those of us who tour and camp don't have a choice. Certainly would never leave it locked outside a motel room, but there are plenty of other situations where I cannot keep sight of my bike at all times. (E.g., Using the head while riding the Mickelson Trail in the middle of nowhere SD.) I practice realistic risk assessment.

Well, don't come crying to us when a bear takes your bike.
Old 01-28-20, 12:37 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
We've had the "do you carry a bike lock?" threads. Is it time for a new thread, "Do you take a bear trap with you while touring?"
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-28-20, 01:09 PM
indyfabz

I've got chunks of bears tougher than Chuck Norris in my stool.

A 'coon started to make off with one of panniers while I was in my tent. Glad I heard him and was able to scare him off empty pawed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-28-20, 01:20 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Relax, your bike is safe, I'm the one who has to worry.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-28-20 at 01:28 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 01-28-20, 01:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by UniChris
Relax, your bike is safe, I'm the one who has to worry.

That took me a second! I'd also worry about the bike horn salesman at the seal convention.
Old 01-28-20, 01:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I've got chunks of bears tougher than Chuck Norris in my stool.

A 'coon started to make off with one of panniers while I was in my tent. Glad I heard him and was able to scare him off empty pawed.

I can state with some authority that racoons do not like Super Soakers.
Old 01-28-20, 04:02 PM
indyfabz

I can state with some authority that racoons do not like Super Soakers.
The crazy thing is that it was completely empty. I put all my attractants in the restroom because I was in bear country in NJ. Earlier it had held a very aromatic everything bagel. Wonder if the smell lingered.
Old 01-29-20, 09:29 AM
pdlamb

The crazy thing is that it was completely empty. I put all my attractants in the restroom because I was in bear country in NJ. Earlier it had held a very aromatic everything bagel. Wonder if the smell lingered.
Sounds probable. Every month or two I buy a bakers dozen bagels on the way to work. When I get everything bagels, I can smell the dried onion on that pannier for a couple days afterwards.
Old 03-05-20, 10:46 PM
UniChris

Continuing the theme (er, well, prices seem to have gone up...) anyone tried AirBnB on rides?
Old 03-06-20, 06:15 AM
palehose66

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have made two 8 day trips to western N.Y. via motels. I traveled solo with a BOB yak trailer. It was awesome, yes pricey. I used a discount card and once pulled into a place that looked out of business while there was a brand new Holiday Inn next door. They were remodeling and I had paid ahead to save some money. They wouldn't let me cancel obviously and the room was a smoking room. I picked places that had continental breakfast so I could save some money and also get loaded up with snacks for the day! Only one place in Lorraine, Ohio would not let me eat a few minutes early. Beware floors. I walked into an old motel that had tile floors and skated to the front desk. Every time I ran into rain the hotels would have extra newspaper somewhere to stuff into my shoes overnight.
Old 03-06-20, 07:24 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
I'm trying to imagine somewhere telling you you can't bring a unicycle in your room, and I just don't see it happening.
A bike is smaller and less intrusive than a wheelchair and of course they have to let wheelchairs in the room. Say that you have an "emotional support" bike, get fake credentials on line and say they are violating federal law by not letting you take your bike with you. Hell, pull that stunt with the airline and your bike will ride with you in the cabin.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Likes For San Rensho:
Old 03-06-20, 08:22 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by palehose66
I have made two 8 day trips to western N.Y. via motels. I traveled solo with a BOB yak trailer. It was awesome, yes pricey. I used a discount card and once pulled into a place that looked out of business while there was a brand new Holiday Inn next door. They were remodeling and I had paid ahead to save some money. They wouldn't let me cancel obviously and the room was a smoking room. I picked places that had continental breakfast so I could save some money and also get loaded up with snacks for the day! Only one place in Lorraine, Ohio would not let me eat a few minutes early. Beware floors. I walked into an old motel that had tile floors and skated to the front desk. Every time I ran into rain the hotels would have extra newspaper somewhere to stuff into my shoes overnight.
Cool story, bro.
Old 03-06-20, 08:44 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by San Rensho
A bike is smaller and less intrusive than a wheelchair and of course they have to let wheelchairs in the room. Say that you have an "emotional support" bike, get fake credentials on line and say they are violating federal law by not letting you take your bike with you. Hell, pull that stunt with the airline and your bike will ride with you in the cabin.
Or you might have to carry the bike in your lap or put it under the seat in front of you.
Old 03-06-20, 10:32 AM
San Rensho 

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Or you might have to carry the bike in your lap or put it under the seat in front of you.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-06-20, 11:18 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by San Rensho
A bike is smaller and less intrusive than a wheelchair
Not any sort of normal / non-folding DF bike. Wheelchairs are amazingly maneuverable, able to rotate in their own footprint so you can do things like roll into a compact elevator forwards, spin around without the other people moving, and then roll off forwards as well. They also typically don't have exposed chains and rarely tires muddy from a trail.

Maybe you meant a mobility scooter and not a wheelchair? The things that sort of look like a riding lawnmower without the blade assembly?

Yes, you can pick up a DF bike and stand it on end in a tiny elevator (as a former co-worker often did), but then everyone has to trust you not to drop it or bang things with it.

And a lot of these issues come down to an establishment's willingness to trust an unknown "you".

and of course they have to let wheelchairs in the room.
There are a whole bunch of legal issues there. Many cases it won't be every room, but they're required to have some that can fit a wheelchair.
Likes For UniChris: