Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

8 speed to 10 speed, can't get into lowest gear..Help :(

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 09:11 PM
SCF87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

I recently decided to upgrade some components on my old full-suspension Specialized Stumpjumper.
  • Swapped the 8 speed rear cassette for a Shimano 10 speed 11-36T
  • New 10 speed Shimano chain
  • I accidentally bought an 11-speed shifter (Deore XT M8000 Shifter) I'm hoping this won't matter?
The issue I'm having is that I cannot get the chain to hop onto the lowest rear gear. The rear deraileur is a shimano XT, everything I've read online says I should be able to move seamlessly from an 8 speed to a 10 speed cassette. I've tried everything I could think of, the chain is being pressed up against the lowest (largest) cog and the shifter cable is guitar string tight but it still won't hop on...

Any thoughts??
Old 08-27-20, 09:35 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by SCF87
Any thoughts??
Limit screw (low)?
Old 08-27-20, 09:39 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Hi All,

I recently decided to upgrade some components on my old full-suspension Specialized Stumpjumper.
  • Swapped the 8 speed rear cassette for a Shimano 10 speed 11-36T
  • New 10 speed Shimano chain
  • I accidentally bought an 11-speed shifter (Deore XT M8000 Shifter) I'm hoping this won't matter?
The issue I'm having is that I cannot get the chain to hop onto the lowest rear gear. The rear deraileur is a shimano XT, everything I've read online says I should be able to move seamlessly from an 8 speed to a 10 speed cassette. I've tried everything I could think of, the chain is being pressed up against the lowest (largest) cog and the shifter cable is guitar string tight but it still won't hop on...

Any thoughts??
Yes, it does matter. 10 speed (Dyna-sys) and 11 speed (Dyna-sys ll) aren't compatible. You need a 10 speed Dyna-sys shifter for it to work.And no, the Shimano 10 speed mtb system is not compatible w/ 8 and/or 9 speed. Road 8, 9, & 10 yes. Mountain, no. 10 and 11 speed mountain bike systems from Shimano are unique to themselves.

Why won't the chain go up to the large cog? The only (and most obvious) thing I can throw out there is the low limit is too tight. Push the derailleur by hand and see if it goes up. If not adjust the limit screw til it does. And get a 10 speed mtn shifter.
Old 08-27-20, 09:51 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Let's see. 8 speed compatible derailleur, 10 speed cassette and chain, 11 speed shifter.
What could possibly go wrong?
Everything
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-27-20, 10:00 PM
SCF87

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate the feedback and understand why the need for some (rightfully so) sarcasm.

Okay, so - in regard to the limit screw, I tried backing it out all the way and it still won't shift into the lowest gear.

Is the general consensus that a 10-sp shifter would fix this issue? Maybe I'm wrong on my thinking here but I'd assume an 11-sp shifter would give the widest range of movement (pull/push), it's not like I have an 8-sp shifter with an 11-sp cassette.

Or...do you guys think I also need a different rear derailleur? I've seen a number of youtube videos and read plenty of posts about folks switching from 8sp to 9sp and 10sp without a new derailleur (11sp typically won't work).

Thanks again!

P.S. I'm trying to get this all sorted out before an overnight bikepacking trip in 2 weeks so I really appreciate it!!
Old 08-27-20, 10:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I appreciate the feedback and understand why the need for some (rightfully so) sarcasm.

Okay, so - in regard to the limit screw, I tried backing it out all the way and it still won't shift into the lowest gear.

Is the general consensus that a 10-sp shifter would fix this issue? Maybe I'm wrong on my thinking here but I'd assume an 11-sp shifter would give the widest range of movement (pull/push), it's not like I have an 8-sp shifter with an 11-sp cassette.

Or...do you guys think I also need a different rear derailleur? I've seen a number of youtube videos and read plenty of posts about folks switching from 8sp to 9sp and 10sp without a new derailleur (11sp typically won't work).

Thanks again!

P.S. I'm trying to get this all sorted out before an overnight bikepacking trip in 2 weeks so I really appreciate it!!
You have a basic incompatibility problem. You rear derailleur was designed to be compatible with shifters up to 9 speed. !0 and 11 speed shifters are designed for a whole different generation of rear derailleurs. An 11 speed shifter does not go any farther in its extreme limits than a 10 speed shifter, it only makes smaller steps between gears. I know that my previous post was a bit sarcastic, but I was making a point. Your components have to be compatible with each other. You cannot expect that an 11 speed shifter combined with a 10 speed cassette and a derailleur that worked previously with an 8 speed shifter could possibly work together. A 10 speed shifter will not work, you need a Dynasys derailleur in order for it to work with the aforementioned 10 speed shifter
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-27-20, 10:28 PM
SCF87

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcjphil
You have a basic incompatibility problem. You rear derailleur was designed to be compatible with shifters up to 9 speed. !0 and 11 speed shifters are designed for a whole different generation of rear derailleurs. An 11 speed shifter does not go any farther in its extreme limits than a 10 speed shifter, it only makes smaller steps between gears. I know that my previous post was a bit sarcastic, but I was making a point. Your components have to be compatible with each other. You cannot expect that an 11 speed shifter combined with a 10 speed cassette and a derailleur that worked previously with an 8 speed shifter could possibly work together. A 10 speed shifter will not work, you need a Dynasys derailleur in order for it to work with the aforementioned 10 speed shifter
Alcjphil - Thank you! This answers my question. So it looks like I'll be needing a new rear derailleur, and shifter (bummer..too late to return this one..ebay it is!).

Thanks again!
Likes For SCF87: