Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon Endorsce Di2 - Does it have the wireless module?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Canyon Endorsce Di2 - Does it have the wireless module?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-20, 05:13 PM
shaun3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Canyon Endurace Di2 - Does it have the wireless module?

I’m looking at an Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2. I’m curious if it includes the Di2 wireless module. Anyone know? Thanks!

Last edited by shaun3000; 09-20-20 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 09:05 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
I really doubt it, but you can call Canyon to confirm. I've contacted them before with questions and they were pretty helpful.

As a data point, I just bought a new Cervelo with Di2, and it didn't come with the wireless unit. It's very easy to install though. One short cable and the unit, and it's plug and play. It's pretty sweet and highly recommended. My Garmin will beep at me before a front chainring change, if using synchroshift; you can change screens using buttons on the hoods; the phone app is a lot easier to use compared to the wired interface with the PC program.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 09-21-20, 11:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think any Di2 equipped bike comes standard with the BT module.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-21-20, 12:01 PM
shaun3000

Originally Posted by jadocs
I could be wrong, but I don't think any Di2 equipped bike comes standard with the BT module.
That’s really disappointing if true. But it wouldn’t surprise me.
Old 09-21-20, 12:07 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by shaun3000
It's really simple to install. If I can do it, you can do it. I wouldn't worry too much if it doesn't come with it.
Old 09-21-20, 12:09 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Why would a manufacturer include an optional product that maybe only 50% of purchasers' use and yet require all purchasers to pay for it? I liken the BT Adapter to a dealer-installed option if you want one purchase it with the bicycle and have it installed or do it yourself. At the end of the day, you would be paying for it regardless.
Old 09-21-20, 04:35 PM
shaun3000

Because Sram does it without an adapter. It’s a $100 part, after-market, so I imagine it would be quite a bit cheaper for the manufacturer. And, really, it’s crazy that in 2020 a $5000+ bike with electronic shifting requires a USB cable and Windows computer or trip to the LBS if you wish to adjust it.
Likes For shaun3000:
Old 09-21-20, 07:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Because Sram does it without an adapter. It’s a $100 part, after-market, so I imagine it would be quite a bit cheaper for the manufacturer. And, really, it’s crazy that in 2020 a $5000+ bike with electronic shifting requires a USB cable and Windows computer or trip to the LBS if you wish to adjust it.
Perfect your choice has been made. God bless the free market and the innovation it brings. SRAM for you and I have heard many people love it.
Old 09-21-20, 07:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,946 Times in 4,678 Posts
Once you have set up your Di2 bike, you probably won't need to "adjust" it again. (And by the way: actual adjustments, like adjusting the trim, don't require the computer.)

With that said, the BT dongle is worth getting for the integration with your cycling computer...And I agree with others that it should be optional, as it's not essential for riding the bike and some people may not want it.
Old 09-21-20, 09:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Most people don't want it. I'd guess 1 in 10 Di2 users sees value in the wireless unit. It isn't necessary to use your groupset, like the battery charger. It's extra weight and complexity, which freaks some people out. And it's not free, so people who don't want it don't want to pay for it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-22-20, 04:15 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Most people don't want it. I'd guess 1 in 10 Di2 users sees value in the wireless unit. It isn't necessary to use your groupset, like the battery charger. It's extra weight and complexity, which freaks some people out. And it's not free, so people who don't want it don't want to pay for it.
Extra weight? Maybe 10 grams. Not even the weight weenies care about that. Complexity? It's a plug in electrical transmitter, no moving parts and 100% bomb proof. I have it on two bikes and find the information provided very useful. Not all will of course, but no one should be making the decision based on weight or complexity.
Likes For jwalther:
Old 09-22-20, 06:04 AM
Koyote

I can't even understand why Shimano includes the charger in the groupset, and why new Di2 bikes include the charger. Even if you own multiple Di2 bikes, you still only need (and only need to pay for) one charger.
Old 09-22-20, 07:20 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
What is this thing in the first place, what does it do?
Old 09-22-20, 07:21 AM
jadocs

I have found the module useful in the following way:

- Software updates: There have been several to the components since I've had my bike past two years.
- Connectivity to my head unit (bike computer). I can switch pages without taking my hands off the shifters.
- I was able to go in and make sure I had the proper gears assigned. Believe it or not it came with the default assigned which was different. It still worked fine, but if you use synchro you should make sure you have the correct data assigned.

Cool but not useful:

- Being able to visually see what gear you are in on your computer.

They (Shimano) recently updated the iPhone app. I haven't dug into it yet so do not know if there are any new functionality. Maybe someone who has dug into it can confirm.
Old 09-22-20, 07:36 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I have found the module useful in the following way:

- Software updates: There have been several to the components since I've had my bike past two years.
- Connectivity to my head unit (bike computer). I can switch pages without taking my hands off the shifters.
- I was able to go in and make sure I had the proper gears assigned. Believe it or not it came with the default assigned which was different. It still worked fine, but if you use synchro you should make sure you have the correct data assigned.

Cool but not useful:

- Being able to visually see what gear you are in on your computer.

They (Shimano) recently updated the iPhone app. I haven't dug into it yet so do not know if there are any new functionality. Maybe someone who has dug into it can confirm.
So this Shimano thing let's you swap pages in your bike computer by pressing the shifters instead of actually having to touch the bike computer? Without it you cannot update the software (and is this actually needed for electronic shifting?)? And what is the gear assignment?
Old 09-22-20, 07:48 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
So this Shimano thing let's you swap pages in your bike computer by pressing the shifters instead of actually having to touch the bike computer?
Yes, if your shifters have the buttons on the top, older versions do not have it.

Without it you cannot update the software
You cannot wirelessly update the software. You must connect directly to a Windows computer to do it if you do not have the module. None of my computers are Windows, and I think you need a special data cable in order to do it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know a whole lot about manually connecting via windows.

(and is this actually needed for electronic shifting?)?
No you can still shift electronically. synchro shift may change where it automatically shifts based on your gear assignment.

And what is the gear assignment?
I don't remember, I just remember looking at it and noting that it was incorrect, and manually correcting the data.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-22-20, 10:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
So this Shimano thing let's you swap pages in your bike computer by pressing the shifters instead of actually having to touch the bike computer? Without it you cannot update the software (and is this actually needed for electronic shifting?)? And what is the gear assignment?
​​​​​​I'm a software developer and I have it when people say this, but the wireless thing is a special case.

You don't need to update the wireless communications software to ride your bike. Everything comes with working software installed. You can use that and you won't know the difference, especially while you're riding.

I mean, if you can, you should always be on v.latest, but in this case, unless there's something you need in the change log, it isn't worth losing sleep over.
Old 09-22-20, 10:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by jwalther
Extra weight? Maybe 10 grams. Not even the weight weenies care about that. Complexity? It's a plug in electrical transmitter, no moving parts and 100% bomb proof. I have it on two bikes and find the information provided very useful. Not all will of course, but no one should be making the decision based on weight or complexity.
I agree with you about the and complexity, but road cycling attracts obstinate people. (How do I know? I have a mirror!) Look how people are still against disc brakes. "I pull the lever and the bike slows down, this is way too complicated!"
Old 09-22-20, 10:14 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Koyote
I can't even understand why Shimano includes the charger in the groupset, and why new Di2 bikes include the charger. Even if you own multiple Di2 bikes, you still only need (and only need to pay for) one charger.
That's a little too far. Unlike the D Fly, not including a charger would make the groupset useless. Shimano is smart enough to realize many first time buyers would not purchase Di2 if it didn't come with a charger. But we've already had that thread.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-22-20, 10:19 AM
Koyote

That's a little too far. Unlike the D Fly, not including a charger would make the groupset useless. Shimano is smart enough to realize many first time buyers would not purchase Di2 if it didn't come with a charger. But we've already had that thread.
Yes, we have had that thread. 😊

perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to make the charger optional. As Di2 becomes more popular, more and more people are going to end up with multiple chargers – and I don’t see myself ever needing to charge two bikes at the same time. I also don’t see myself wearing out a charger, since it just sits on my workbench.

Look at any good brand of cordless power tools: you can buy multiple tools that take interchangeable battery packs, and only have to purchase one charger.
Old 09-22-20, 01:15 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
Extra weight? Maybe 10 grams.
It is listed at 3g. Plus a short cable is probably another 3g. I have to put a half of an ice cube less in my water bottles every ride to compensate.
Old 09-23-20, 09:31 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Another benefit of the wireless module: if you have synchro shift turned on, your bike computer will beep at you if the next shift is going to change the front chain ring.

For those who don't know what synchro shift is, it's a feature that will automatically change the front chain ring when the rear cassette gets to certain points. It minimizes cross chaining. You as the rider just have to decide if you want a harder or easier gear, and then hit the shift button. You don't have to think about the chain ring.

When this happens, Di2 will also shift the rear cassette a gear or two so that the gear ratio jump is consistent. If the system only changed the front chain ring (without changing the cassette), it would result in a pretty big jump.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 09-27-20, 04:22 AM
jorell

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I’m looking at an Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2. I’m curious if it includes the Di2 wireless module. Anyone know? Thanks!
I have this bike - have had it only a few weeks - and it did not come with the wireless unit (Shimano part # EW-WU111). I added it about three weeks ago and am 100% glad I did. Although everything functions right out of the box, adding this opens up a few other features to the Di2. My favorites are: being able to program the buttons on the top of the hoods, having the ability to see what gears I am in on my Wahoo Elemnt Roam (more useful than I thought it would be), and being able to configure the auto-synch settings via the mobile app. There have been issues updating the firmware via the app once the unit is installed - not sure if it's been fixed, but it's documented online. You're better off connecting a PC (Mac isn't compatible) and updating the firmware there.

You will need to purchase an additional wire to connect the wireless unit to your system. There are many options as to where to install it (it can be installed anywhere in the system...mine's near the A-junction under the stem.

Check out the BetterShifting website (Google it...I can't post links yet as I have a new account). Browse around the site...he's got a bunch of YouTube videos as well.

I didn't do much research prior as the opportunity to get a Di2 bike came quickly and I had to move fast, but learned a lot quickly.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Sorry if I'm being redundant, but I didn't closely read all the other responses.

Last edited by jorell; 09-27-20 at 04:40 AM.
Likes For jorell:
Old 09-27-20, 05:17 PM
ccrrar

Bikes: Calfee Luna Pro w/ full Campy Record, Trek Domane SL7

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What am I missing?

Ok, I'll bite.....I have a 4 year old Parlee Altum w/ Di2 and an old (more than 7 years) Garmin 520. I don't have a d-Fly but since day one I have been able to see my gears, battery level and set the correct cassette. Everyone's description of the d-Fly seem to imply that it is required for these basic functions. Yes, if I need to update the system I need to plug it into my computer, I don't find this to be a bid deal and I am not interested in synchro shifting.

What am I missing that is worth $100?

Last edited by ccrrar; 09-27-20 at 05:25 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 09-30-20, 04:09 PM
deburn

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Bighorn 1.3, 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m in the market for a new bike for 5-6k and what you mentioned is one of the reasons I’m most likely going with SRAM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.