Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Bike Recommendation for 350 lb. Rider

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bike Recommendation for 350 lb. Rider

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20, 06:58 AM
taylorgeo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Robalero
Congratulations!!! The bike will serve you very well! I am recovering from surgery right now and it is my Townie's that are my workhorses for my recovery. Good Luck and keep us posted on your weight journey. Remember, you can't ride the pounds off, you need to work equally hard when you sit at the table!!!!
Thanks! And very true... 90% is what you put in your tummy.

Quick question: Since the cranks are so far forward, do you have any issues with your toes hitting the front tire when making turns? Some guy posted this issue on YouTube, and I was just wondering.

Will be picking up my bike next week!
Likes For taylorgeo:
Old 09-12-20, 08:00 AM
Robalero

Bikes: Electra Townee 7D, TREK Domane 4, Checkpoint ALR 5, Marin Gestalt

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Thanks! And very true... 90% is what you put in your tummy.

Quick question: Since the cranks are so far forward, do you have any issues with your toes hitting the front tire when making turns? Some guy posted this issue on YouTube, and I was just wondering.

Will be picking up my bike next week!
Never had an issue with the cranks or my toes hitting the front wheel when I turn. There are ways to make adjustments though, try it out though, the frame is really big so there is lots of room. Get to know your bicycle first, you are going to be amazed at how smooth it rides. Have fun Brother!!!
Old 09-12-20, 10:27 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Drumroll... I got the Electra Townie 7D!
Sounds perfect! Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-12-20, 10:53 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Toe overlap on that style of bike is probably just foot position on the pedal. It is common in smaller sized roadbikes with 700c wheels. You learn to ride around it.
Old 09-15-20, 04:40 AM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Toe overlap on that style of bike is probably just foot position on the pedal. It is common in smaller sized roadbikes with 700c wheels. You learn to ride around it.
I see, good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-04-20, 01:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Drumroll... I got the Electra Townie 7D!
How's that working out, now that you have some miles on it? IIRC you were concerned about breaking the stem, seatpost and various other components. Has everything been up to the task? Looks like a good choice with a secure riding position.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 10-12-20 at 06:54 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 10-12-20, 06:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3666 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
^^Pic added^^
Old 10-13-20, 04:50 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
1. Frame failing at the head tube
2. Front wheel coming off open fork dropouts
3. Cracking the seatpost
#1 I believe should not be much of a concern. It is growing more common for mountain-bikes to have 'tapered' headtubes, narrowing from 1 1/8" up top to 1 1/2" below. A much rarer standard (usually only tandems) is 1 1/2" top and bottom. But the standard 1 1/8" threadless design should be sufficient.

2. is not a significant risk either. Forks have had 'lawyer lips' for decades to prevent this. And since you've got this on your mind, you can protect even more against this by checking the front quick-release every ride -- a 5-sec safety check. OR you could get a nutted front wheel instead of a quick-release, OR more and more bikes nowadays have 'thru-axles', which also eliminates that concern (not as easy to find for under $500 though)

3. I would stay away from carbon, stick with aluminum, and make sure you can stick it into the frame a couple inches deeper than the marked minimum-insertion line, and you should be fine.
Old 10-20-20, 02:15 PM
taylorgeo

Originally Posted by RubeRad
#1 I believe should not be much of a concern. It is growing more common for mountain-bikes to have 'tapered' headtubes, narrowing from 1 1/8" up top to 1 1/2" below. A much rarer standard (usually only tandems) is 1 1/2" top and bottom. But the standard 1 1/8" threadless design should be sufficient.

2. is not a significant risk either. Forks have had 'lawyer lips' for decades to prevent this. And since you've got this on your mind, you can protect even more against this by checking the front quick-release every ride -- a 5-sec safety check. OR you could get a nutted front wheel instead of a quick-release, OR more and more bikes nowadays have 'thru-axles', which also eliminates that concern (not as easy to find for under $500 though)

3. I would stay away from carbon, stick with aluminum, and make sure you can stick it into the frame a couple inches deeper than the marked minimum-insertion line, and you should be fine.
Thanks for this!

My Townie is pretty awesome. 200+ miles thus far...
Likes For taylorgeo: