Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for lightweight hybrid

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Looking for lightweight hybrid

Old 10-05-20, 08:33 PM
Quampegan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Looking for lightweight hybrid

Hello Everyone: I am looking for recommendations for a lightweight, woman's hybrid. mostly roads...but some gravel on roads and occasional field path riding. Mostly I want to be able to keep up with my grandsons and others with road bikes. I need light so I can pick it up, store it, and travel with it easily. I haven't bought a bicycle in 35 years...so I am not concerned about cost...more about easy to maintain, quality parts, availability, etc.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

~Quampegan
Old 10-06-20, 07:21 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Quampegan
Hello Everyone: I am looking for recommendations for a lightweight, woman's hybrid. mostly roads...but some gravel on roads and occasional field path riding. Mostly I want to be able to keep up with my grandsons and others with road bikes. I need light so I can pick it up, store it, and travel with it easily. I haven't bought a bicycle in 35 years...so I am not concerned about cost...more about easy to maintain, quality parts, availability, etc.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

~Quampegan
Light is good for stairs, storage and travel works better with compact; maybe try a folding bike?

My wife can carry more than 24lbs in groceries, but her regular 24lb bike is too unwieldy for her to carry up our 6fl walkup (or so she claims). A smaller package is easier to handle, and folders have handles and other accessories to assist. Airlines, buses, and trains have less restrictions on folders.

For full sized bikes, you can go with a breakaway frame, either pre-made or get a steel frame and add couplers for a mid-size package.
Old 10-06-20, 04:42 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Does "lightweight" have a number associated with it?
Old 10-08-20, 06:59 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
My wife has a Liv Thrive CoMax 1... about 20 lbs, 11-speed Shimano 105 and Hydraulic Discs. It comes with 28mm road tires but plenty of room for wider rubber... I mounted 32mm cross tires for her to ride the trails.

I just checked and it looks like they don't make the Thrive Comax since 2019-- they only sell the Aluminum-framed Thrive. Maybe you can find leftover or used?

https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/thrive-comax-1-disc-2019

Last edited by redcon1; 10-08-20 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-08-20, 12:14 PM
crn3371

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Take a look at something like the Specialized Sirrus or the Cannondale Synapse flat bar.