Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Forums Hall of Fame

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Forums Hall of Fame

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 10:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Bike Forums Hall of Fame

I recently posted on The Commuting Forum:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I got this tip from a subscriber I consider one of the Elder Statesmen of Bikeforums, Buzzman of New York City and Newton, MA.

Advice like this is a major reason I assiduously read the Forums. I posted to this thread on the Living Car Free thread ”What you got from BF transportation forums?

I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian..., and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride...I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:…
Whom do you consider to be among the Elder States(people), Gurus. Sages, Authorities…on Bike Forums (and their specialties), worthy of a Hall of Fame?

My first additional nomination is tsl, in particular re Winter Cycling and Commuting.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
^^^, what he said, tsl in the leading cycling sartorial expert for cold weather riding. Listen to what that man tells you…
OTHERS (of the Forums I read) include:
Machka (Living Car Free, Long Distance Cycling, Touring)
qcpmsame, DnvrFox (Fifty Plus)
jamawani, staehpj1 (Touring, though I read that one only occasionally)
gerv, Roody (Living Car Free)

These were my initial thoughts, and I may add more as I recall them (if there is interest in this thread). I did not include the Local Discussion thread, ”Metro Boston: Good ride today?” which I also actively read, which has some excellent correspondents (and photographers).
Old 01-08-15, 12:24 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I just don't care too much for the "Hall of Fame" concept. If you're already "Famous", you don't need it, you know? A "Hall of Underappreciated People" would be of more benefit.

I've been on here for 7 years now, it looks like. You've listed 9 people. I don't recall ever seeing the screennames for 7 of them, if that helps. Obviously, they must be big in different forums from what I check. I don't see anyone from the Road forum in the list, but I'm thinking that's the most active one here.
Old 01-08-15, 12:31 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Me Thinks it is Very Cold in Boston.

Very Few members post and read all of the many forums.

There are great posters in each of them.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 01-08-15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 12:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
It might be interesting to post who is on our "ignore" lists. Maybe a prize?
Old 01-08-15, 12:56 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Well, they've been doing a "Hall of Fame" on the forums over at bikejournal.com The problem is, there's a lot fewer people on those forums so it turns into "People that have been here a while" and "dead people".

Personally, I try to get along with people, so I hate to vote against anyone, but that also means I hate to vote for anyone, either.
Old 01-08-15, 01:39 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It might be interesting to post who is on our "ignore" lists. Maybe a prize?
That would be interesting.
Old 01-08-15, 02:17 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit, I don't read that many of the subfora. I do agree with TSL for all things winter-cycling related, and qcpmsame and DnvrFox for the 50+ bunch. If I were to nominate a couple of folks it would be FBinNY and Andrew Stewart in the Bicycle Mechanics group. I'm probably overlooking a couple of people, so I'll try to remember to edit this as I recall their names.
Old 01-08-15, 04:36 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
RobbieTunes in C&V
FBinNY
Old 01-08-15, 07:03 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by StephenH
I just don't care too much for the "Hall of Fame" concept. If you're already "Famous", you don't need it, you know? A "Hall of Underappreciated People" would be of more benefit.

I've been on here for 7 years now, it looks like. You've listed 9 people. I don't recall ever seeing the screennames for 7 of them, if that helps. Obviously, they must be big in different forums from what I check. I don't see anyone from the Road forum in the list, but I'm thinking that's the most active one here.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Me Thinks it is Very Cold in Boston.

Very Few members post and read all of the many forums.

There are great posters in each of them.
You can read some of the Forums all of the time;
And you can read all of the Forums some of the time;
But you can’t read all of the Forums all of the time.

Thanks for your replies. I have quoted a memorable post by Stephen H to the thread, ”When does Hardcore become Stupid?” re Winter Cycling on several occasions, including just this morning. I haven’t read the Road Forum for a couple years now because indeed it is the most active, and hard to keep up with along with my other Forums of interest. I remember pcad was a very frequent poster, but more for humor than information. I recall reading Banerjek (?spelling) a lot, and there was a real hardcore roadie whom I think was banned, but I forget his name.

I just scrolled down a few current pages on the Road Forum, and while I recognized a few names from other Forums, I did not see any standout names from the old days.

I would consider 10 Wheels as another inductee into the HOF based on the mileage and centuries he reports, and the expertise he renders in his laconic style.

Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
I have to admit, I don't read that many of the subfora. I do agree with TSL for all things winter-cycling related, and qcpmsame and DnvrFox for the 50+ bunch. If I were to nominate a couple of folks it would be FBinNY and Andrew Stewart in the Bicycle Mechanics group. I'm probably overlooking a couple of people, so I'll try to remember to edit this as I recall their names.

Originally Posted by Dfrost
RobbieTunes in C&V
FBinNY
I read FBinNY often in the Commuter, and (?) Fifty-Plus Forums and respect his opinions, so I would agree. I don’t read C&V, but I know of jimmuller of C&V, and have seen pictures of his collection; and he also rides with various C&V groups. Is he a candidate, Dfrost?
Old 01-08-15, 07:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

My first additional nomination is tsl, in particular re Winter Cycling and Commuting.

OTHERS (of the Forums I read) include:
Machka (Living Car Free, Long Distance Cycling, Touring)
qcpmsame, DnvrFox (Fifty Plus)
jamawani, staehpj1 (Touring, though I read that one only occasionally)
gerv, Roody (Living Car Free)
Maybe what you need to do next, is make yourself some gold statues of each of these posters and then dietify them and worship them as your personal gods of cycling.

Last edited by wolfchild; 01-08-15 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-08-15, 08:01 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Maybe what you need to do next, is make yourself some gold statues of each of these posters and then dietify them and worship them as your personal gods of cycling.
I think you mean I should "deify" them, but I won't because there is already a patron saint of cycling.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
According to the legend, the Medieval count Ghisallo was being attacked by bandits when he saw an image of Virgin Mary at a shrine. He ran to it and was saved from the robbers. The apparition became known as the Madonna del Ghisallo, and she became a patroness of local travellers. In later times, Madonna del Ghisallo (the hill) was made part of the Giro di Lombardia bicycle race and has often featured in the Giro d'Italia as well.

For this reason a local priest, Father Ermelindo Vigano, proposed that Madonna del Ghisallo (the apparition) be declared the patroness of cyclists. This was confirmed by Pope Pius XII. Nowadays the shrine of Madonna del Ghisallo contains a small cycling museum with photos and artifacts from the sport. There also burns an eternal flame for cyclists who have died. One particularly notable artifact is the crumpled bicycle that Fabio Casartelli, a native of the region, rode on the day that he died in a crash in the Tour de France.
Old 01-08-15, 08:29 PM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This may outrage some, sorry.
There are one or two of these posters that sometimes make me think of Louis Tully, the character played by Rick Moranis in Ghost Busters. Tiptoe down the hall trying to sneak by, and there they are, posting whether or not they have anything to say. To be fair, there is a lot of experience there, and enthusiasm, but when you can just skim a post because you pretty much have that posters MO down cold from reading them over a few years...

How about going for the infamous award. I vote for ILTB.
Old 01-08-15, 09:05 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These threads have a way of turning south pretty quickly. From past experience, for every positive comment about a member there is usually someone who wants to post a negative comment, and we just don't want to go there.

Thread closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*