Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm enjoying riding slower

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-23, 04:49 PM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts

I have never been a speed demon and never really cared. This year however, I am riding noticeably slower dye to switching from a "proper" road bike Cannondale Synapse 5) to a gravel/cyclocross bike

I have been 4idibf road bikes since 1972 when I got my first road bike and I never really took the actual ride into.account. I just enjoyed riding

​​​​​​As I got older and faster (still not very fast) I became more concerned with that 5han anything else ...when I got into my 40s I stopped worrying about how fast I was going but, rather,how far I could go.

Now, in my 60s, I am slower and yet, due to a bike change, I am enjoying riding more than I ever have.

​​​​​​My bike is older,heavier and yes, slower...it is also far more comfortable than anything bike I've ridden in 50 years. I have direct my computer. I do not use Strava. I do not "train" anymore, I just ride..I ride slower but I am so much more comfortable and feel far less beat up after a ride (the roads here in Southern Ontario ar not exactly pristine.

​​​​​​AFter a.if my tears of riding, it took a si.oke bike change to remind me again just how much fun this is.

​​​​​​I don't care to HTFU. I just want to ride and, 2h4n I'm tired, head home.

I don't want to do complicated anymore.

Cheers!!,

― Bruce Lee
Old 07-21-23, 05:18 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 439 Posts
Not a thing wrong with slowing down some and enjoying the ride. Maybe slow down on the keyboard too!! I've found that my slower rides (not a speed demon either) have been ones I've enjoyed more. Recently went on a ride where the pace was a fair bit higher than my usual. Found it was not enjoyable for me. If speed is "your thing", that's ok. I've never used more than a basic cyclometer with basic functions. But ask me what I've noticed along the way and you'd find I don't miss much. Aren't we glad we can all find something about riding we enjoy-be it speed, just riding along and taking it in, etc.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-21-23, 05:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22681 Post(s)
Liked 9,005 Times in 4,192 Posts
Kudos.

Smiles per hour matter more than miles per hour.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-21-23, 05:52 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
I am riding for better fitness and I feel that pushing a little harder or further is needed. But I still make sure some of my rides have no goals whatsoever other than to enjoy the ride and scenery. Those are the rides I enjoy most.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-21-23, 06:15 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Nothing wrong with that.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 07-21-23, 06:29 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Today my wife and I rode along the South Platte River, enjoying the great blue herons, snowy egrets, black-crested northern herons and some fish. We stopped to get a really good look at these delightful creatures. Several decades ago I would have just burned along to keep the overall elapsed time down. That was fine then, but I'm sure enjoying stopping to smell the roses once in a while.
Likes For randallr:
Old 07-21-23, 06:45 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 1,935 Times in 859 Posts
I was a serious cyclist from the early 80's thru mid 90's raced both on the road and mountain bikes and did double centuries, triathalons etc. life happened and pretty much stopped riding and focused on running. last year I decided to start riding again. In July of last year I bought a heavy steel 1x11 bike with a mustache bars and figured I would just putter around and enjoy the fresh air. I did not realize I would get hooked again. In the last year I have put on about 8000 miles. I am almost 65 yoa and I don't really know what defines slow, is 15,18, 20mph considered slow?. I try to average 18mph or above and actually am disappointed if on a long ride don't average close to that. I did a century earlier in the month and averaged 18mph and actually felt a little disappointed. I have a new, more road oriented lighter bike ordered and my goal is a 5 hour century. I know I probably will be disappointed and find out that father time has caught up to me..
Likes For jadmt:
Old 07-21-23, 10:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 5,763 Times in 2,968 Posts
My rest days are very much like what BAJ is describing. Leisurely, relaxed soft pedaling while I enjoy the sites and the sensation of movement on the flats. No pressure, no goals, just riding.

Then there are the rest of the days of the week. One or two are dedicated to hill climbing with a goal of hitting them hard to help me climb with less effort on my long 60-70 mile rides. Achieving PRs is my way to determine if I am getting stronger. When not working on hills, I work on keeping an average speed about 18 and try to get PRs on flat segments and/or fastest for my age group.

My long day runs typically at 16 MPH with 2000’+ climbing. The goal on those is to enjoy the ride without knocking myself out because I am already trained.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-22-23, 06:16 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
I have never been a speed demon and never really cared. This year however, I am riding noticeably slower dye to switching from a "proper" road bike Cannondale Synapse 5) to a gravel/cyclocross bike

I have been 4idibf road bikes since 1972 when I got my first road bike and I never really took the actual ride into.account. I just enjoyed riding

​​​​​​As I got older and faster (still not very fast) I became more concerned with that 5han anything else ...when I got into my 40s I stopped worrying about how fast I was going but, rather,how far I could go.

Now, in my 60s, I am slower and yet, due to a bike change, I am enjoying riding more than I ever have.

​​​​​​My bike is older,heavier and yes, slower...it is also far more comfortable than anything bike I've ridden in 50 years. I have direct my computer. I do not use Strava. I do not "train" anymore, I just ride..I ride slower but I am so much more comfortable and feel far less beat up after a ride (the roads here in Southern Ontario ar not exactly pristine.

​​​​​​AFter a.if my tears of riding, it took a si.oke bike change to remind me again just how much fun this is.

​​​​​​I don't care to HTFU. I just want to ride and, 2h4n I'm tired, head home.

I don't want to do complicated anymore.

Cheers!!,
Heretic

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-22-23, 06:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,584 Times in 4,229 Posts
You are doing it wrong.***
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-23-23, 09:30 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 507 Posts
Riding slower as I age >>> sucks
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-23-23, 09:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,359 Posts
I don't care how fast you ride. The amount of time you spend riding is more important. It's better if you do it in a manner you enjoy.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-23-23, 10:26 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 992 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 1,063 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
...I ride slower but I am so much more comfortable and feel far less beat up after a ride...
That's the ticket... Happy HAPPY, Joy JOY!
Old 07-23-23, 12:51 PM
waters60

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
Today my wife and I rode along the South Platte River, enjoying the great blue herons, snowy egrets, black-crested northern herons and some fish. We stopped to get a really good look at these delightful creatures. Several decades ago I would have just burned along to keep the overall elapsed time down. That was fine then, but I'm sure enjoying stopping to smell the roses once in a while.
I love long climbs next to gurgling brooks, preferably with a Hermit Thrush thrown in for good measure. Going through wooded stretches I will slow down to hear the birds!
Likes For waters60:
Old 07-26-23, 08:30 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
It's very flat where I live, so my best workout comes from going fast. But sometimes it's nice just to take it easy instead.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 07-26-23, 04:59 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 455 Posts
Yup, you gotta do your ride, every ride. Try to make it what you most desire, at that time...
now, it might/will be different for everyone.
some like the sharp edge of 'competition' and devote their cycling completely to that arena, training and time on bike.
I try to blend as much as possible into my riding 'universe'. More true now than ever.
One thing I found is that when one devotes a large amount of riding to a 'very comfortable' level, we (us 'vintage' riders) become slower... And I fear it's slower, and less capable, than what aging might do, on it's own. SO keeping an 'edge' on some significant part of riding, helps keep me in the 'best me' that I can be. It's also why I do some overall strength conditioning as well.
I'm somewhat afraid of becoming severely frail at some point. Legs may be tough and strong, but if I suffer more back and shoulder/arm injuries, there might not be enough muscle mass to handle that shock load...
Fragility scares me...
Upside is, I like coming off a hard ride, feeling spent and having done the 'hard' ride, same for other physical work. I volunteer to do physical work (which benefits something I might care for), and with that comes a feeling of accomplishment.
I like hanging in with a hard ride of younger riders, and often getting shelled. There is payback in trying and doing your best, even if it might not be enough.
But I do know my age, and likelihood to injure more and easier... so I'm more cautious...
Luckily, I have a nice group of riders in my same envelope, we charge with the younger riders, and celebrate not getting shelled as early in a ride... LOL!
DO a ride, any ride; your ride, it's always better than not riding.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 07-26-23, 09:40 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 3,051 Times in 1,888 Posts
Just riding is most important, fast or slow.

I'm in my early 60s. I do some of both (well, fast for me, maybe not fast by other's standards).

Probably the proportion of slow rides is increasing through the years.

But riding fast and enjoying the fruits of my fitnss is a fantastic feeling, and I will miss it when I can no longer do it at least some of the time.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-26-23, 11:41 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,093 Posts
I entered a crit in the 60+ category last year*. On the last lap approaching the finish line I sprinted. Afterwards having a beer with some friends who'd been watching, I asked "did you like my sprint across the line?" The response was, "you sprinted?"

ROFL

I have slowed. Life is good.

*or 5, not sure
Likes For downtube42: