Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looks like I'm cool again

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Looks like I'm cool again

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 12:17 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlattsVegas
How did you get that pedal to screw into the new hole in the crank?
With a 15mm wrench ?

Seriously tough, all it takes is drilling and threading the new holes into the crank arms at the right location. The thread size used for pedals is standardized (9/16" x 20 tpi, right and left-handed threads).
Old 09-28-10, 12:21 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ppc
standardized (9/16" x 20 tpi, right and left-handed threads).
Thank you to the Wright brothers for the left handed threading. Buying a left hand thread tap isn't a big deal, making it thread so that a pedal will not strip it easily takes expertise. Old man tasks.
Old 09-28-10, 12:48 PM
ppc
Senile Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsh
I would be terrified to ride a recumbent "downtown". How do you ever not get run over?
I don't know, I've never had a problem on a bent, and the lower it is, the better I feel. Cars can see me fine, and I'm confident that I can manoeuver quickly in heavy traffic and brake as hard as I want without endoing. On the other hand, perched on top of a road bike with those skinny tires under me, I don't feel safe at all, and I'm much too scared to "let it rip". There was a time I could bomb down the street between cars and hitch a ride behind buses and taxis with that bike, but years of recumbent riding took the confidence away from me. It's a matter of habit I suppose...
Old 09-28-10, 02:31 PM
dsh
Oh, you know...

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Sports Tourer (Polo), S-Works E5 Team Festina (Chorus 11), Trek 2200 Bonded Carbon (Fixed), Trek 920 (7 speed IGH), Chesini Olimpiade SL (1x7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ppc
Cars can see me fine

I'll take your word for it. I've had way too many cars merge on top of me until I start banging on their door panels, and that's with me cruising 6' high.

Recumbent riders, crazy.
Old 10-11-10, 06:12 PM
XianRL
One-track, one-speed mind

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Rustbelt Marco polo bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ppc
On the other hand, perched on top of a road bike with those skinny tires under me, I don't feel safe at all, and I'm much too scared to "let it rip". There was a time I could bomb down the street between cars and hitch a ride behind buses and taxis with that bike, but years of recumbent riding took the confidence away from me. It's a matter of habit I suppose...
Maybe sell the old fixie? I mean, you weren't even testing the market and you received two or three cat calls downtown.

Not trying to talk you out of riding the fixie again, but seems like you might be more into the recumbent scene? One man's trash is a "cool" kid's treasure.

Though I'm sure you're cool, too!