Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-16, 04:45 PM
therh

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 (Tiagra)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemeseri
The BB30A "standard" currently only compatible with cannondale's very own hollowgram crankset out of the box. You need special aftermarket BBs for sram / rotor / fsa / shimano cranks. I'm sure that hollowgram is awesome, but I think it's quite expensive. On the other hand I'm a blind shimano fan, so don't listen to me.
I have had Shimano on all four of my bikes, so I guess that makes a Shimano person as well. I just do not like proprietary systems I suppose. (25.4mm seatpost, and now BB30a)
Old 06-10-16, 09:54 PM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MadDog1999
Why is there not a thank button on these forums! That is a class photo and a class bike! The two contrast each other very well! What CAAD is it?Is it a CAAD10, looks very much like one in my newbie eyes! How much miles do you do on it? Where was that pic taken?
Thanx MadDog . As I said, that's one of the wild CAADs, the famous CAADX - the thing is so fast and sleek that some nutjobs even ride it in CX races! But not me, I'm a more 90% pavement / 10% smooth dirt roads kind of guy.

As for the pic, I made that shot about a month ago, descending a coastal mountain called "Serra da Graciosa" some 100 km from here. The nice (bad?) part of the road is that you go over about 12 km of cobbles (it was made in the 1870's), usually under heavy fog. So the thing is slippery as hell, and disk breaks are a BIG plus.

The hairy parts look like this:

And it's almost always wet:

But at the end things get a lot easier and more relaxed:

Pretty cool ride, but the cobbles + extended breaking are really demanding. Well, the CAADX was very smooth over the cobbles, but I arrived at the bottom with my hands really tired from the constant effort on the break levers. However, some guys much braver then me go down with pure race bikes, on cantis .
Old 06-11-16, 03:57 AM
fizzle

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
Picked up my CAAD12 Ultegra today. The black/gray color looks awesome compared to the website. It also came with a C2 Handlebar but it was spec'd as a C3 on the web. I'm good with that! 15.6 lbs as is on the picture.

Awesome bike man love the color scheme! Looking into getting some pacentis w/T11s handbuilts for my Supersix myself, how do you find the Hed Belgiums? I'm considering both but the Heds are a bit more $.

Btw consider mounting your mini pump on the seat tube non drive side, looks more Gordo
Old 06-11-16, 05:52 AM
MadDog1999

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LUW
Thanx MadDog . As I said, that's one of the wild CAADs, the famous CAADX - the thing is so fast and sleek that some nutjobs even ride it in CX races! But not me, I'm a more 90% pavement / 10% smooth dirt roads kind of guy.

As for the pic, I made that shot about a month ago, descending a coastal mountain called "Serra da Graciosa" some 100 km from here. The nice (bad?) part of the road is that you go over about 12 km of cobbles (it was made in the 1870's), usually under heavy fog. So the thing is slippery as hell, and disk breaks are a BIG plus.

The hairy parts look like this:

And it's almost always wet:

But at the end things get a lot easier and more relaxed:
I had to remove this photo because reached max amount of photos!

Pretty cool ride, but the cobbles + extended breaking are really demanding. Well, the CAADX was very smooth over the cobbles, but I arrived at the bottom with my hands really tired from the constant effort on the break levers. However, some guys much braver then me go down with pure race bikes, on cantis .
Christ! Fair play touch for being brave enough going down that road. I would be crawling along that road! It looks so bumpy. I'd imagine going down at fast speeds would be nearly too dangerous and also it would be bone shattering! Going down on race bikes? Jeez how could they have the nerves. You chose the right bike for that ride anyway

Picked up my CAAD12 Ultegra today. The black/gray color looks awesome compared to the website. It also came with a C2 Handlebar but it was spec'd as a C3 on the web. I'm good with that! 15.6 lbs as is on the picture.

That is a nice bike ARPRINCE! Congrats in the buy. I can't wait for my first Caad12 but I am trying to get the green and black colour scheme but that colour scheme is still nice! I will be keeping it the way it is when I buy it first (the one I am looking at is a 105 disc model) but when I get more experienced I will be fiddling around with new parts to make it more for me!
Old 06-11-16, 07:00 AM
LUW

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 / 2013 Caloi Carbon Elite 29er / 2015 Cannondale CAADX 105 / 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Christ! Fair play touch for being brave enough going down that road. I would be crawling along that road! It looks so bumpy. I'd imagine going down at fast speeds would be nearly too dangerous and also it would be bone shattering! Going down on race bikes? Jeez how could they have the nerves. You chose the right bike for that ride anyway
It's not easy for sure, but manageable. The last time I road down there I was on a 29er, and despite being wet, we got there early so there wasn't much traffic, and the descent was (almost) easy - I'm a wuss, so even on fat tires and hydraulic breaks I went slowly, but anybody bolder could have done the cobbles a lot faster. On this ride, with the CAADX, car traffic was heavy, so even if you wanted you couldn't go much faster. But as I said, on a dry day the hardcore roadies do the descent (complaining ).

And on that ride it was proved to me once in for all that if I ever want a new Al bike, it will be a Cannondale. I know that the 35C tires played a very important part in delivering comfort, but the frame is awesome. The first time I went down that mountain was on a Al 26er and I was lighter and younger, but with the CAADX the ride was MUCH smoother.
Old 06-12-16, 10:12 AM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do any of you know if they sell caad 12 frame sets
Old 06-12-16, 12:27 PM
cave12man

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally bought the frameset to get back in to cycling and wanted to build it up with decent specs but at a relatively low cost. Most parts, if not all, came as take offs from eBay, and I ended up spending about $700 (until recent upgrades). Dude I bought the frameset from used it mostly for crits and had the steerer cut all the way down, hence the need for the new Nashbar fork. Still getting the fit dialed in, as evident by the crazy stack.

Upgraded from Shimano RS30's to Revolution Wheelworks REV30's. Stock fork to Nashbar full carbon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160612_133929(1).jpg (109.3 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by cave12man; 06-12-16 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-12-16, 07:12 PM
cderalow

Bikes: 2012 GT Transeo 3 2014 Cannondale CAAD 10 105

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wested
Get fit at the shop, but I'd ballpark you at 56. Cannondales tend to run a size large. But you won't know until you test ride.

I've got a 91.5 cycling inseam and the 56 is about right.

I'd suspect a 54 might allow for more flexibility for someone with 2" less leg than me.

Old 06-13-16, 01:20 AM
bicikleto

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably the best place to ask this:can you fit 28mm tyres on a CAAD 8 - 2016(if that matters)

Thanks!
Old 06-13-16, 06:55 AM
MadDog1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size frame Cannondale Caad12 should I get? I am 5ft2 or 3 inches
Old 06-13-16, 08:48 PM
fizzle

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size frame Cannondale Caad12 should I get? I am 5ft2 or 3 inches
48cm
Old 06-14-16, 07:18 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fizzle
Awesome bike man love the color scheme! Looking into getting some pacentis w/T11s handbuilts for my Supersix myself, how do you find the Hed Belgiums? I'm considering both but the Heds are a bit more $.

Btw consider mounting your mini pump on the seat tube non drive side, looks more Gordo
Thanks!

HED C2 rims are great. Mine uses White Industries T11 hubs. Awesome combination if I may add. The HED JET 4 FR (which uses a C2 rim) on my Synapse made me appreciate the brand. Love the way it rolls and found the brake more responsive because of the width of the rims. I won't buy a rim with a smaller diameter.

Hmmmm...never really considered a different place to mount the pump but I'll think about it.
Old 06-14-16, 07:30 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
That is a nice bike ARPRINCE! Congrats in the buy. I can't wait for my first Caad12 but I am trying to get the green and black colour scheme but that colour scheme is still nice! I will be keeping it the way it is when I buy it first (the one I am looking at is a 105 disc model) but when I get more experienced I will be fiddling around with new parts to make it more for me!
Thanks. Doesn't the CAAD12 105 Disc only come in BLACK w CYAN color? I would have preferred that color but I don't like to get a disc. Ohhh well.
Old 06-15-16, 02:39 AM
Joskovic

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 9, 2009 Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did some unplanned maintenance yesterday due to the bad weather all week here in the Netherlands. Now I got the opportunity to install my recently acquired Praxisworks chain rings, a new chain and I cleaned our/greased my BB. I am so happy with this bike. It serves me really well in fast group rides, on steep climbs and in the weekly crits on Wednesday night.

Old 06-15-16, 04:28 AM
MadDog1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joskovic
I did some unplanned maintenance yesterday due to the bad weather all week here in the Netherlands. Now I got the opportunity to install my recently acquired Praxisworks chain rings, a new chain and I cleaned our/greased my BB. I am so happy with this bike. It serves me really well in fast group rides, on steep climbs and in the weekly crits on Wednesday night.

They bike looks class. What speed is it? I love the colour scheme! Grey with a bit of red in it. It suits the CAAD9. Basically what you described of the bike is everything I want in a bike, able for steep climbs, fast group rides and more races for me rather than cries but still! How much upgrades did you add on to it over it's life?
Old 06-15-16, 04:52 AM
Joskovic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They bike looks class. What speed is it? I love the colour scheme! Grey with a bit of red in it. It suits the CAAD9. Basically what you described of the bike is everything I want in a bike, able for steep climbs, fast group rides and more races for me rather than cries but still! How much upgrades did you add on to it over it's life?
Thanks Maddog. It's a 10 speed Sram Red (first gen). Literally only the bare frame is original. Everything including bearings has been changed since 2010. This is what it looked like when I bought it new in late 2009:

It came with a Shimano 105 groupset en Tektro brakes. Shimano entry level wheels. I purposely bought this frame to be able to upgrade later on. Best decision ever!

Current specs:
Groupset: Sram Red 2010 10 speed
Headset: Cane Creek 40 series
Saddle: Fizik Arione R5
Stem: 3T Arx II Team 17 deg
Seat post: 3T Ionic Team 25mm setback
Bottle cages: Tacx Tao
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing 3

I'm on the search for some new wheels, but it's not entirely clear to me what I want/need at this point. Ideally I need 2 sets...one for racing, one for climbing and group rides.
Old 06-15-16, 04:59 AM
MadDog1999

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike definitely looks much better now since you upgraded it. I don't like the old drops, I don't know, the white just doesn't look nice in my eyes. Anyway, well done on the upgrade! It must be worth a good bit of money now! I would sure like to ride that bike! The upgraded version looks perfect. What are the total miles you have done on it now, do you know?
Old 06-15-16, 05:41 AM
Joskovic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike definitely looks much better now since you upgraded it. I don't like the old drops, I don't know, the white just doesn't look nice in my eyes. Anyway, well done on the upgrade! It must be worth a good bit of money now! I would sure like to ride that bike! The upgraded version looks perfect. What are the total miles you have done on it now, do you know?
It's actually the stock Cannondale bars still, I forgot about that component! What a difference a bit of bar tape makes... I think I have done approx. 20.000 mi total, with only the past 3 years with cycling being my main focus. I used to be a marathon runner. I started racing crits last year.
Old 06-15-16, 02:04 PM
chip1

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just came back from a 40 mile ride. Absolutely beautiful weather, couldn't be more perfect. One of the sections from my usual route was closed for a long time which apparently was under construction for a walk path/fishing area. Had a nice chat with people and took a quick picture of my CAAD

Old 06-15-16, 06:11 PM
omarcastz

Bikes: CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my CAAD10.

It is a 2013 Black Inc. model.
It has been upgraded to Dura-Ace Di2 9070.
Shimano C35 Wheels
Seatpost, Saddle, Stem, and Handlebars are Fizik
Hollowgram/SpideRing Crankset.

15.6 lbs weight as shown (including pedals, bottle cages, garmin mount). 15.2 lbs when I put Shimano C24 wheels.

Trying a color handlebar tape for the first time since 2013. I figured I would try the Fizik Pink Fluo (at the time the Giro d'Italia was about to start). Had been using Fizik Black tape before.

Old 06-15-16, 06:23 PM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemeseri
The BB30A "standard" currently only compatible with cannondale's very own hollowgram crankset out of the box. You need special aftermarket BBs for sram / rotor / fsa / shimano cranks. I'm sure that hollowgram is awesome, but I think it's quite expensive. On the other hand I'm a blind shimano fan, so don't listen to me.
My 2014 Caad10 came equipped with an FSA crankset, rode it for a year before I swapped it out for a Hollowgram SI and noticed the
Difference right away. Very slightly stiffer and I mean slightly couldn't even tell almost but what you Do notice and the most important and signifigent benefit for me and why I upgraded is the shifting from small to large chainring. So buttery smooth with the one piece "Spidering" it's amazing I never felt a front derailiuer shift so effortlessly. Well worth the upgrade IMO. I would recommend this as an upgrade after a nice wheel upgrade if you don't have a nice pair already.

Owner of a highly reputable local bike shop that stocks the highest of the highest end gear claims "Best thing Cannondale ever made".
Old 06-15-16, 06:25 PM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

HED C2 rims are great. Mine uses White Industries T11 hubs. Awesome combination if I may add. The HED JET 4 FR (which uses a C2 rim) on my Synapse made me appreciate the brand. Love the way it rolls and found the brake more responsive because of the width of the rims. I won't buy a rim with a smaller diameter.

Hmmmm...never really considered a different place to mount the pump but I'll think about it.
How do you find the free hub sound on the T11s? I prefer a quiet free hub and heard the T11s are a bit on the loud side? Shimano hubs are whisper quiet and I'm considering getting a DuraAce9000 rear hub.
Sound wise, How do the t11s compare to say other hubs or a lower end Mavic free hub like say a aksium or ksyrium, Considering you've rode those before.
Old 06-15-16, 06:40 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I prefer a quiet free hub
What?! Take it back!

Old 06-15-16, 07:02 PM
fizzle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
What?! Take it back!
Lol let me guess, you're down with the "Cult of King"?
Besides not having to scream "On Your Left!!" as you're passing unsuspected cyclists and peds, I really don't see the point? What faster engagement? Idk

I found an awesome deal on a pair of 9000 Hubs $150 less than a pair of T11s. That with a pair of DT R460 rims, I could have my LBS build me a light 1400-1500g beater wheelset for around $550
Old 06-15-16, 07:23 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Lol let me guess, you're down with the "Cult of King"?
Besides not having to scream "On Your Left!!" as you're passing unsuspected cyclists and peds, I really don't see the point? What faster engagement? Idk

I found an awesome deal on a pair of 9000 Hubs $150 less than a pair of T11s. That with a pair of DT R460 rims, I could have my LBS build me a light 1400-1500g beater wheelset for around $550
Haha, I have Chris Kings on my EVO, but my Reynolds wheels from back in the day with Reynolds hubs were way louder. I think my Chris King's are actually rather quiet, even more so than the White Industries hubs I've heard.

But yeah, I like the loud hubs...for no real reason, just cause.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.